SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Airline passengers who unbuckle their seat belts when the sign is off
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline passengers who unbuckle their seat belts when the sign is off Login/Join 
posted
"One witness said about half the passengers weren’t wearing seatbelts."

I strongly doubt they were all in line for the toilet. Every flight I've been on includes advice from the flight crew to stay buckled when you're in your seat. HOW HARD IS THAT??

Complete article:

https://www.airlineratings.com...ign=latest_headlines

TURBULENCE INJURES 37 ON AIR CANADA FLIGHT

By Steve Creedy July 12, 2019

An Air Canada plane flying between Vancouver and Sydney was diverted to Honolulu after 37 people were injuured during severe turbulence.

The Boeing 777-200, operating as Flight AC33 with 269 passengers and 15 crew, was about two hours past Hawaii when it hit clear air turbulence, according to the airline.

The plane was at 36,000 ft and about 966kms southwest of Honolulu when it dropped suddenly.

Emergency officials in Honolulu said 30 people were transported to local hospitals, nine with serious injuries and 21 with minor injuries. Complaints included neck and back injuries, head injuries and lacerations.

One passenger, Australian Michael Bailey, estimated the plane dropped about 100ft.

“Five to 10 seconds and then bang, all of a sudden it dropped,” he told ABC radio. “It must have dropped like a 100ft or something because people went up to the ceiling throughout the plane.

“It was pretty scary.”

Flight attendants were handing out snacks at the time and witnesses said they were among those who hit the ceiling.

One witness said about half the passengers weren’t wearing seatbelts.

“The whole experience was probably 10 to 15 seconds, a bit of mild shaking, nothing out of the ordinary, and then just a drop out of nowhere,” passenger Alex Mcdonald, of Brisbane, told CBC News.

“I saw the people ahead of me hitting the overhead baggage compartments and then just slamming back into their seats.

“[It] was just a bunch of noise, people extremely shocked, and then a very eerie stillness throughout the cabin as people tried to grasp what had happened.”

The incident is yet another example of why airlines continually warn people to keep their seatbelts fastened, even if the seatbelt sign is not on.

Scientists have warned passengers to expect more bone-jarring encounters with rough weather due to changes in the climate.

A 2017 study by University of Reading researcher Dr. Paul Williams predicted the chances of being tossed around an aircraft cabin by severe turbulence could triple in coming years.

Although technology allowing aircraft to detect the phenomenon has improved, clear air turbulence remains difficult to distinguish and there are still incidents where passengers and cabin crew are injured.

It costs US carriers an estimated $US200 million annually and the US Federal Aviation Administration has identified it as the leading cause of injuries to passengers and crew in non-fatal accidents.

New bitch but semi-related:

Since I'm bitching, here's a linked article blaming the increase in air turbulence on - wait for it - climate change!!!

https://www.airlineratings.com...e-to-climate-change/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When on the flying bus, I stay fully strapped in. Its a holdover from the very smooth flights I experienced with Uncle Sam.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's an odd phenomenon isn't it, almost like they do it "because they can".

These same people all stand up and try to bum rush off the plane too.

I keep my belt on the entire flight and also sit and wait for the sheeple stampede to die down.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Similar thing happened when a bunch of us went to Cancun back in 99. Luckily we were just starting our descent so most of us had our seat belts on. I swear I could literally feel my ass come off the seat and them BAM! It happened when we were in some clouds. I get a little anxious when we go through clouds now.

I typically keep my seat belt on unless I need to get up.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yup, I keep mine buckled, but loosened once cruising.

I usually book my tickets toward the wing or more rearward, no rush to get off the plane with the mob.

Last flight I took to CA, had a layover in Denver. IAH to DEN on a 777-200 & I was in the 2nd last row on the right side. Takes a while to load/unload 300 people.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I am also a person who stays buckled. Seriously, how difficult is it? I get it if you are up to hit the head but jeez if you are sitting you may as well be buckled.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I usually keep buckled. However, sometimes I fly biz class on long trips which allows for sleeping prone. I keep the buckle on but not sure how useful it is. Seems like a drop like this would not be good for people in prone positions, seat belt or not.

And idiot in the article blaming climate change as the cause? Explain what causes the drop - fine. But blaming on climate changes is stupid and makes everything else you say suspect.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
And idiot in the article blaming climate change as the cause?
That's EXACTLY what stuck out in this article to me as well...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Buckled unless getting up to use the pisser or getting off the plane, trying to beat the rush of brain-dead zombies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I flew in from Spain on Sunday, 8 hours. Had the seat belt on all the way with the exception of bathroom breaks. Nothing hard about wearing a seat belt. When had some chop you could see a few people buckle up.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As long as the don't bleed or fall on me, I don't care. I keep ass planted and strapped in.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it say anything on the back of the ticket, about not responsible for injuries sustained by NOT wearing your seatbelt. When these people sue will their failure to wear the seat belt be considered negligent?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stay buckled in unless I have to use the bathroom as well. Fortunately turbulence doesn’t really bother me unless it wakes me up.

Now if we could just do something about the screaming kids. Had a flight a couple of weeks ago with 8 (that I could visually see) screaming kids from Salt Lake to Atlanta. Perhaps the most disgruntled I’ve ever been getting off a plane.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not as annoying as the people who immediately unbuckle and stand up the nanosecond the aircraft stops taxiing at the gate. Really? Where in the F do you think you're going in such a hurry?

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sakata8242:
Not as annoying as the people who immediately unbuckle and stand up the nanosecond the aircraft stops taxiing at the gate. Really? Where in the F do you think you're going in such a hurry?

I like the aisle seat so I can stretch out a little more. When in that seat I will often stand once we are fully stopped at the gate. I know I can't go anywhere but I have just been sitting for hours and want to stretch my legs.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I leave my belt on. Will loosen it a little after takeoff but it stays on. The only time I take it off it if I need to get up.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Imagine being the person on the toilet when all that happened. Talk about a bad day.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
And idiot in the article blaming climate change as the cause?
That's EXACTLY what stuck out in this article to me as well...

Off topic but I’m oddly attracted to her. But for her, I would not have watched Bitch in 2B or Jessica.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Never understood this logic either. Riding in your car at 25 mph and the seatbelt is always buckled. Squirting through the air at 500 knots in an aluminum tube, 6 miles off the ground...nah, I'll leave that thing unbuckled.

Morons.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
It's an odd phenomenon isn't it, almost like they do it "because they can".

These same people all stand up and try to bum rush off the plane too.

I keep my belt on the entire flight and also sit and wait for the sheeple stampede to die down.

Pretty much the way Mrs. Elk and I have always traveled. And we have flown a LOT over the several decades. Anyone who refuses to stay buckled in their seat is simply asking for a problem.

We have experienced several clear air turbulence incidents over the decades. Do not want to be found with our heads stuck in the ceiling.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post