SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Phone screens
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Phone screens Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
$160 to apple yesterday to replace my cracked screen on the iPhone 7. Last night,I installed my first ever screen protector. this morning, I bend over and the phone falls out of my sweatshirt pocket face first onto a porcelain tile... shattered. Less than 24 hours.

Fuck. That is all.

Oh, I'm leaving for Mexico at 4:30am


------------------------------------

135
├┼┼╕
246R
 
Posts: 3793 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
$160 to apple yesterday to replace my cracked screen on the iPhone 7. Last night,I installed my first ever screen protector. this morning, I bend over and the phone falls out of my sweatshirt pocket face first onto a porcelain tile... shattered. Less than 24 hours.

Fuck. That is all.

Oh, I'm leaving for Mexico at 4:30am


Man, that sucks! Have fun in Mexico, and when you get back buy an Otterbox Defender for your repaired/replaced iPhone.



"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson
 
Posts: 1041 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Screen protector for scratches, not dumb drops.
 
Posts: 36339 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I dunno how anybody can carry a phone without it being in some sort of protective case. Just holding the phone in the store gave me anxiety, afraid that it would slip out of my hands and explode all over the floor. My palms get sweaty whenever I see anybody else carrying a phone not in a case even.

A Lifeproof case was on my phone before it was even added to the account.



quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.
 
Posts: 15085 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I dunno how anybody can carry a phone without it being in some sort of protective case. Just holding the phone in the store gave me anxiety, afraid that it would slip out of my hands and explode all over the floor. My palms get sweaty whenever I see anybody else carrying a phone not in a case even.

A Lifeproof case was on my phone before it was even added to the account.


Ha ha, this so describes me. I thought it was some type of psychological problem. iPhonedropaphobia



[i]
 
Posts: 5074 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have my iphone in a minimal protective case with screen protector.

But isn't it ironic that we are drawn to the slick thin minimalist lines of a phone and then we have to put it in a thick utilitarian package to protect it but, in doing so, we hide the thin lines.



"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
 
Posts: 13416 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
But isn't it ironic that we are drawn to the slick thin minimalist lines of a phone and then we have to put it in a thick utilitarian package to protect it but, in doing so, we hide the thin lines.


Not to me. I would gladly buy a phone that was thicker by a few millimeters with a higher capacity removable battery but no one makes a top tier phone with that feature. And I would still put a case on it because it's an expensive tool not a fashion statement to me.
 
Posts: 2189 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have my iphone in a minimal protective case with screen protector.

But isn't it ironic that we are drawn to the slick thin minimalist lines of a phone and then we have to put it in a thick utilitarian package to protect it but, in doing so, we hide the thin lines.


You must work in an office.

No, it's ironic that we buy a phone that's expensive as it is, and we HAVE to put a case on it to keep it from breaking in the normal conditions it was designed for.
 
Posts: 14973 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Otter Box.







Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.


Help, I'm having premonitions of future flashbacks.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

Some people listen to the noise of the world,
And some people listen to the quiet.
 
Posts: 8561 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have my iphone in a minimal protective case with screen protector.

But isn't it ironic that we are drawn to the slick thin minimalist lines of a phone and then we have to put it in a thick utilitarian package to protect it but, in doing so, we hide the thin lines.


You must work in an office.

No, it's ironic that we buy a phone that's expensive as it is, and we HAVE to put a case on it to keep it from breaking in the normal conditions it was designed for.


By "we", I mean the general mass market consumers of phones and not the specific membership of Sigforum.

The phone companies do their market research as to what people want in their product. If they don't deliver, their product fails to meet acceptance. Obviously, people who want a robust phone that doesn't need an aftermarket protective case, doesn't move the needle in terms of consumer wants otherwise that would be the product that would be available instead of the thin, sleek, delicate models that are popular.



"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
 
Posts: 13416 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
But isn't it ironic that we are drawn to the slick thin minimalist lines of a phone and then we have to put it in a thick utilitarian package to protect it but, in doing so, we hide the thin lines.


Not to me. I would gladly buy a phone that was thicker by a few millimeters with a higher capacity removable battery but no one makes a top tier phone with that feature. And I would still put a case on it because it's an expensive tool not a fashion statement to me.



That is why I bought a S5 active. It is built like a tank. No case or screen protector and after 3 years it still looks and works like new.

I can't count the number of times it has been dropped and banged around while working around the manufacturing lines.



“Banning guns is like banning forks in an attempt to stop making people fat.” - Vince Vaughn

 
Posts: 2440 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Otterbox for me and my kids.

Most of my friends who prefer to have their phone naked have cracked screens. It can happen to any type of phone with no protection.

If I used my phone (any manufacturer) during the day without a real protective case the screen would be cracked in short order.
 
Posts: 729 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Was it a tempered glass screen protector or just the film?
 
Posts: 14089 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Bought a new phone in August, decided to take it out of the case and look at it as it was designed to look. Back of the phone is cracked. Who's brilliant idea was it to make the backs of phones glass?



Jesse

A couple SIGs and a few others
 
Posts: 10212 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I was an Otter Box fan till I recently bought an LG G6. I ended up getting a UAG protector for it and love it. It's not cheap at $30 but it's rugged and looks and feels good in the hand.

https://www.amazon.com/Plasma-...=uag+for+lg+g6&psc=1

Jim


________________________

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird
 
Posts: 5977 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have my iphone in a minimal protective case with screen protector.

But isn't it ironic that we are drawn to the slick thin minimalist lines of a phone and then we have to put it in a thick utilitarian package to protect it but, in doing so, we hide the thin lines.


You must work in an office.

No, it's ironic that we buy a phone that's expensive as it is, and we HAVE to put a case on it to keep it from breaking in the normal conditions it was designed for.


By "we", I mean the general mass market consumers of phones and not the specific membership of Sigforum.

The phone companies do their market research as to what people want in their product. If they don't deliver, their product fails to meet acceptance. Obviously, people who want a robust phone that doesn't need an aftermarket protective case, doesn't move the needle in terms of consumer wants otherwise that would be the product that would be available instead of the thin, sleek, delicate models that are popular.


EVERYONE I know has their iPhone in some sort of protective case to protect it from drops etc. Most of them have a waterproof case like Otterbox. I don't know a single person that doesn't have an IPhone in a case of some sort.
 
Posts: 14973 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Cases are as much aesthetics as protection. I haven’t had my phone in a case for about 5 years, and I've had no problems. I have a screen protector, but even that isn't always necessary with as tough as the glass is now. I'm actually considering not putting a screen protector on my next phone since I usually just leave the same one on and it gets all messed up anyway, so I'm still not looking at a perfect screen.
 
Posts: 2435 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Otter Box.


Beat me to the punch. A second for Otter Box.

Vince
 
Posts: 275 | Registered: July 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I always use minimalist cases and forgo screen protectors. So far I've been lucky.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
 
Posts: 12327 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I replace my tempered glass protectors about once a month. It always seems to crack just to the bottom right of the fingerprint sensor. Doesn't matter what phone. It always starts to crack there.
 
Posts: 1024 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Phone screens

© SIGforum 2017