SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Annoying phrases
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annoying phrases Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
The only one that twisted my knickers any tighter was "There are no problems, there are only opportunities to excel!"

Bull. Shit. Calling a problem an opportunity doesn't change the fact that it's a problem.

"There are no problems" eh? Fine. Then YOU deal with it, fuckstick!

Yeah, one time my boss called me into her office and said "We have a problem and an opportunity," then informed me that I was being laid off. Mad

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
"Continuous improvement"

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
"Double down" They're all using it now.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
"Know what I mean?" This phrase is usually asked every other sentence by people with limited vocabulary. I've responded, "No, I don't. Please stop trying."

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it's regional or age group but I don't care for "reach(ed) out to." I prefer to "contact" someone... ( I see roustabout mentioned this one).

I read through the posts but I am not sure if "you feel me" was in there; surely it was. Those people should be neutered with a putty knife...

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Unsweetened.
Did not happen.
A drink does not start sweet and then get magically "unsweet"
It's either "sweet" or it's " not sweet"

Just bugs me.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
"What not" WTF does that mean?

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Years ago a newspaper cartoon character responded to that statement by saying, “Anyone who believes that has never listened to a news conference.”

When I saw that response, I was immediately reminded of a question addressed to one of the briefers during the First Gulf War. The “journalist” asked what the military was doing about the debris from the Scud missiles that were destroyed in the air and how they would keep them from injuring people on the ground.

Oh, ooh, added: I just ran across another one: “Presentation” as in referring to drawing and aiming a handgun. It’s so stupid as to not even be annoying, but rather something to laugh out loud at.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
"Begs the question" when used to mean "suggests the question." That isn't what it means. At all. Not even close. And why do people think it does? Does "beg" mean the same thing as "suggests?"

Using "begs the question" in that way just shows you are trying to hi-falute without having any idea what it actually means.

I expect (predict) that this increasingly common abuse of the phrase will soon be accepted as normal slang usage. I've never seen it used correctly in print.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
back in the day Roll Eyes
could you be more vague?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think "back in the day" is intentionally vague.

I, for one, use it in casual conversation when I can't remember (or it doesn't really matter) exactly how long ago something occurred.

But the phrase does imply that it wasn't the recent past, so at least it's not completely vague.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the problem is;

back in the day for flash guy and back in the day for me and back in the day for
Amhayne are way way different

the very least a body could do is narrow it the hell down to
the early 50's
the late 70's or
the mid 90's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54598 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Du what or du whut.

Just say excuse me already!

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
I expect (predict) that this increasingly common abuse of the phrase will soon be accepted as normal slang usage. I've never seen it used correctly in print.

I fear you’re correct. I can’t recall exactly where I saw it used (incorrectly) mostly recently, but it was within the past couple of weeks in one of the histories I read concurrently, and by someone who should have known better. Makes me cringe.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any Who

Posts: 1568 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
"We're taking a deep dive into this..." absolutely drives me nuts.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
The latest...dog whistle. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Bio break”.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I have always disliked "My bad".

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
"We're taking a deep dive into this..." absolutely drives me nuts.

Yep. and later in that same conference call, webinar, or meeting, some idiot wants to "circle back" and see if there are any questions.

I hate this uppity hipster talk.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post