SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Annoying phrases
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annoying phrases Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bombarde32:
When I am feeling like being a jerk, I will reply, "or what"?

To me this is an open ended question for you to state your preference. It isn't meant to be rude. If I was the server, I'd be tempted to respond to "or what?" with "Perhaps the contents of my bladder, or a nice big lugie, or I'll even supply some 'special sauce' if you've got a minute."

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
It is what it is.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wheel house makes me want to kick some ass.
I heard it four times one day

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
"Begs the question" when used to mean "suggests the question." That isn't what it means. At all. Not even close. And why do people think it does? Does "beg" mean the same thing as "suggests?"

Using "begs the question" in that way just shows you are trying to hi-falute without having any idea what it actually means.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^Pissing off Aristotle, one newscast at a time.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
anyone who calls a tip a "life hack". Get my axe, I'll show you some hacks.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
"I know right"

This one has been on the top of my list for ten years now since I first heard it pour out of the mouth of a ditzy blonde. It and its abbreviated version "Right?"(with the requisite upward inflection) are fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

God damn fucking hell I hate that phrase. Life hack, how stupid. It just feels like a spider eating my brain. I want to punch a nun when I hear it. I hate it sooooo much.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta get your "weapons system" up into your "workspace" while doing that mag change, no?

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sorry I have heard some pretty stupid questions.

My answer is always "That may be true, but there is such a thing as stupid people who also ask questions."

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

God damn fucking hell I hate that phrase. Life hack, how stupid. It just feels like a spider eating my brain. I want to punch a nun when I hear it. I hate it sooooo much.

I hate it almost as much as you. Probably not quite nun punching bad, but definitely at minimum makes me want to punch a seminary student.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
on point....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
"You got that right"

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
"I know right"

As I read through the thread, I was thinking these people have nothing better to do than whine about phrases? Then I came to your post and heard the voice in my mind and immediately I remembered the guy / ex-coworker who would say, "EXAAACTLY!" in the same voice.

Man, that grated on me as he said it every fifth sentence or so.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fully loaded and point blank erk me

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I can't stand the word "whatnot."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Annoying phrases that irk you

^^^ This one, because it's redundant. Razz

Smile

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's pet peeve is the female waitress, who says "What can I get you guys to drink?" She usually replies, "I'm not a guy!"

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
A phrase that really annoys me is "reach out".

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
At the end of the day
Low hanging fruit
It's in my wheelhouse or toolbox
Give me the tick tock on how it went down
He's over his skis
Description at the granular level
Set the table

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post