SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Annoying phrases
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annoying phrases Login/Join 
posted
It used to be have a nice day. Now in the South it seems to be have a blessed day or Have a good one.

I called the Navy Base the other day. The voice mail said have a fine Navy day! Not irritating but different.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Annoying phrases that irk you

^^^ This one, because it's redundant. Razz

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It used to be have a nice day. Now in the South it seems to be have a blessed day or Have a good one.

I called the Navy Base the other day. The voice mail said have a fine Navy day! Not irritating but different.

Oh, GAWD I hated that one. If you heard it coming out from under MY mustache, you could cut the sarcasm with a knife.

The only one that twisted my knickers any tighter was "There are no problems, there are only opportunities to excel!"

Bull. Shit. Calling a problem an opportunity doesn't change the fact that it's a problem.

"There are no problems" eh? Fine. Then YOU deal with it, fuckstick!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
corrected title to be less redundant. LOL

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have a good one.
The girl at the Publix checkout register gave me that one the other day.

I had enough control over my mouth to refrain from replying, "My wife says I have a great one."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Have a good one.

I had enough control over my mouth to refrain from replying, "My wife says I have a great one."

Must be a geographical thing. It's very normal to say have a good one in Michigan. It's pretty much the standard for when you are leaving a place and saying goodbye.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Calling a problem an opportunity doesn't change the fact that it's a problem.

Hehe, and calling a failure, "opportunity lost", doesn't make it less of a failure.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Have a good one.

Must be a geographical thing. It's very normal to say have a good one in Michigan. It's pretty much the standard for when you are leaving a place and saying goodbye.
It used to be "Have a good day." Several years ago it seemed to morph into "Have a good one."

I don't know why, but I find that to be annoying. Have a "good one?" A good what? What is the "one" to which we are referring?

"Have a good day" (or evening, or morning, etc.) is clear. "Have a good one" seems like lazy speech to me. I don't like it. One of these days, I will not control my mouth and the reference to my great one will slip out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sorry I have heard some pretty stupid questions.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is what it is.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
It is what it is.

I usually reply, "It's not what it's not."

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve lately has been people ending questions with a trailing-off "or?" As in, "Would you like spaghetti for dinner, or...?", "Do you eat your pancakes with syrup, or...?" When I am feeling like being a jerk, I will reply, "or what"? I cannot pinpoint when this way of asking a question started, but it drives me straight up the wall.

Posts: 324 | Location: Columbus OH | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
It is what it is.

Absolutely.

Excuse me? when said Rhetorically.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
Verbal argument. I suppose you could argue with sign language or semaphore.....

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
"Rate of speed"

What the hell is that? An acceleration?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
"I know right"

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Stay woke

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
A minute.

As in, "Man, I ain't seen you in a minute."

Never heard if before last week, and now it's been at least once a day in TV shows, youtube, etc.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
"Rate of speed"

What the hell is that? An acceleration?

That sort of official-speak drives me crazy. It is often used by lesser officials to make what they say seem more important or precise. However, "He was driving at a high rate of speed," says nothing that "He was driving fast" does not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Two that annoy me greatly I hear on TV cooking shows and home renovation shows:

"Flavor profile". This steak has a complex flavor profile. Ugh, can we just say it tastes good?

and

"The space". I love this space and how the flow of the space really works with the overall space. Ugh, can't you just say I love this room?

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post