SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Annoying phrases
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annoying phrases Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
quote:
Originally posted by Fdan:
"We're taking a deep dive into this..." absolutely drives me nuts.

Yep. and later in that same conference call, webinar, or meeting, some idiot wants to "circle back" and see if there are any questions.

I hate this uppity hipster talk.

and don't forget the key take a ways from that deep circle diving back

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CLOSURE is pretty annoying. Seeking justice seems popular with leftists.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
We don't know what we don't know.

and

Great Question!

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Today on my conference call the presenter used this phrase at lest 2 dozen times

“At the end of the day....”

And “wheelhouse”

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
"This, that, and the third".

Drives me nuts.

And pretty much all cop-talk: "I exited my vehicle and approached the subject".

No, Einstein, you got out of the car and walked to the person.

Who the hell "exits" a "vehicle"? And what subject were you approaching? Western Civ? Calculus?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ooh—now if we’re going to get into copspeak, I still remember some of my favorites:

“Gold-colored” (which was fine because we don’t want to say a real gold ring was seized during a search because it might have been brass, and we couldn’t tell the difference) morphed into “gold in color.” But because that was so neat, then we could no longer just say a “blue plastic cup,” it had to become a “blue in color plastic cup.” But bestest of all was a piece of “clear in color glass”: No, “clear” isn’t a color; if the glass had no color, then it was a piece of “colorless glass.”

And to indulge myself about just two firearms related terms:

“Mag well” in reference to a funnel to help with fast reloads, as in, “Is there a mag well for the P320?” Yes, there is. If the pistol had no magazine well, there would be no place to put the magazine. Any firearm that uses detachable magazines has a mag well.

“Failure to feed,” meaning failure to chamber. “Feeding” is what the magazine does. If the magazine pushed the cartridge up to where the bolt could start pushing it into the chamber, but the cartridge didn’t go into the chamber, then that was … Let’s see some hands … a failure to chamber. The magazine did its feeding job just fine.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who the hell "exits" a "vehicle"? And what subject were you approaching? Western Civ? Calculus?

Airline passengers deplane. They are always prepared with their flotation device in case of a water landing!

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Airline passengers deplane. They are always prepared with their flotation device in case of a water landing!
Do we detruck or decar?

For water landing (or is that a water watering?), be advised that those seat cushions sink. That's the best kept secret in the airline industry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another one that really gets me going is when an LEO refers to all the rest of us who are not LEOs as "civilians". What the hell does he think he is? Chopped liver? When I hear something as stupid as that come out of someone's mouth I lose all respect for them. If you are not in the military, you are probably a civilian. A cop is defenityly a civilian.

Why does this insanity persist?

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not a phrase, but the improper use of the term "fitment" just drives me nut. Not just on various forums by members, but worse, many websites glaringly use the term on their front page. "Fitment" has nothing to do with proper fitting of one part with another of your firearms. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do we detruck or decar?

No but there once was an island that "DePlane, DePlane" appeared every so often.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two grate on my nerves..
1) When I say "Thank You" to get a response of "no problem".

2) Being addressed as "dude".

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
"come together"

after the incident, some local gets on the news and says "the _ _ _ _ are all coming together to resolve the _ _ _ _ _"

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Have a good one." What ever happened to "Have a nice day?"

To date, I have been able to resist the temptation to reply, "My wife says I have a GREAT one!"

I don't know how much longer I'll be able to hold out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had enough control over my mouth to refrain from replying, "My wife says I have a great one."

Mine told me "It was like a young mans."

Great. I'm hung like a 9 year old.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
My current is "Ping"

Had someone tell me the other day "ping me later". After grinding my teeth for a second, I replied -

I doubt sending you 64kb of data 4 times will do either of us any good, as I'm sure it will result in 100% packet loss, so how about I call you later instead?

Same day, had someone ask if I would "ping" someone for them.. I said, Sure, what's their IP address?

The looks were priceless on both counts..

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Inbox me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
For water landing (or is that a water watering?), be advised that those seat cushions sink. That's the best kept secret in the airline industry.

"Sorry, buoyant seat cushions are only available in Flotsam Class."

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
"Horrific" has become the new buzz word in news stories. A horrific crash, a horrific scene, a horrific assault, etc, etc. Please, find another adjective to describe something bad.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Not a phrase, a single word. Awesome. Seems like every young woman waitress, or that I deal with on the phone sprinkles the word liberally throughout her side of the conversation. Yesterday, I’m talking to a young woman from the broadband internet service we use. When I answered a question she responded “awesomeness.” I busted out laughing.

After I regained control she said, “Well, you don’t want me to be boring, do you?”

“No,” says I. “I want you to personify ‘awesomeness’.”

I really am sick of the word though

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post