SIGforum
Annoying phrases

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1760081034

September 10, 2017, 03:57 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Annoying phrases
It used to be have a nice day. Now in the South it seems to be have a blessed day or Have a good one.

I called the Navy Base the other day. The voice mail said have a fine Navy day! Not irritating but different.
September 10, 2017, 04:02 PM
quote:
Annoying phrases that irk you

^^^ This one, because it's redundant. Razz

Q

September 10, 2017, 04:43 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It used to be have a nice day. Now in the South it seems to be have a blessed day or Have a good one.

I called the Navy Base the other day. The voice mail said have a fine Navy day! Not irritating but different.

Oh, GAWD I hated that one. If you heard it coming out from under MY mustache, you could cut the sarcasm with a knife.

The only one that twisted my knickers any tighter was "There are no problems, there are only opportunities to excel!"

Bull. Shit. Calling a problem an opportunity doesn't change the fact that it's a problem.

"There are no problems" eh? Fine. Then YOU deal with it, fuckstick!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 10, 2017, 04:49 PM
ZSMICHAEL
corrected title to be less redundant. LOL
September 10, 2017, 05:23 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Have a good one.
The girl at the Publix checkout register gave me that one the other day.

I had enough control over my mouth to refrain from replying, "My wife says I have a great one."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 10, 2017, 05:58 PM
Palm
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Have a good one.

I had enough control over my mouth to refrain from replying, "My wife says I have a great one."

Must be a geographical thing. It's very normal to say have a good one in Michigan. It's pretty much the standard for when you are leaving a place and saying goodbye.
September 10, 2017, 06:03 PM
Patrick-SP2022
quote:
Calling a problem an opportunity doesn't change the fact that it's a problem.

Hehe, and calling a failure, "opportunity lost", doesn't make it less of a failure.

September 10, 2017, 06:31 PM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Have a good one.

Must be a geographical thing. It's very normal to say have a good one in Michigan. It's pretty much the standard for when you are leaving a place and saying goodbye.
It used to be "Have a good day." Several years ago it seemed to morph into "Have a good one."

I don't know why, but I find that to be annoying. Have a "good one?" A good what? What is the "one" to which we are referring?

"Have a good day" (or evening, or morning, etc.) is clear. "Have a good one" seems like lazy speech to me. I don't like it. One of these days, I will not control my mouth and the reference to my great one will slip out.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 10, 2017, 07:28 PM
2012BOSS302
There's no such thing as a stupid question.

Sorry I have heard some pretty stupid questions.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
September 10, 2017, 07:34 PM
ulsterman
It is what it is.
September 10, 2017, 07:49 PM
RAMIUS
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
It is what it is.

I usually reply, "It's not what it's not."
September 10, 2017, 08:43 PM
Bombarde32
My pet peeve lately has been people ending questions with a trailing-off "or?" As in, "Would you like spaghetti for dinner, or...?", "Do you eat your pancakes with syrup, or...?" When I am feeling like being a jerk, I will reply, "or what"? I cannot pinpoint when this way of asking a question started, but it drives me straight up the wall.
September 10, 2017, 11:08 PM
Aquabird
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
It is what it is.

Absolutely.

Excuse me? when said Rhetorically.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member
September 11, 2017, 12:29 AM
DetonicsMk6
Verbal argument. I suppose you could argue with sign language or semaphore.....
September 11, 2017, 01:42 AM
SapperSteel
"Rate of speed"

What the hell is that? An acceleration?

Thanks,

Sap
September 11, 2017, 05:52 AM
sybo
"I know right"
September 11, 2017, 07:55 AM
feersum dreadnaught
Stay woke

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"
September 11, 2017, 10:47 AM
apprentice
A minute.

As in, "Man, I ain't seen you in a minute."

Never heard if before last week, and now it's been at least once a day in TV shows, youtube, etc.
September 11, 2017, 11:08 AM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
"Rate of speed"

What the hell is that? An acceleration?

That sort of official-speak drives me crazy. It is often used by lesser officials to make what they say seem more important or precise. However, "He was driving at a high rate of speed," says nothing that "He was driving fast" does not.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 11, 2017, 11:21 AM
PASig
Two that annoy me greatly I hear on TV cooking shows and home renovation shows:

"Flavor profile". This steak has a complex flavor profile. Ugh, can we just say it tastes good?

and

"The space". I love this space and how the flow of the space really works with the overall space. Ugh, can't you just say I love this room?