SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Being Smushed Against the Window....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Being Smushed Against the Window.... Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:...
You must be a short fella.

Yep.
Short monkeys in the back of the bus...

I'm $20 on he's 5'9".

Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pro tip: after takeoff move the small bag from under the seat in front of you to behind your legs up against your seat. Now you should have plenty of room for your legs under the seat. I'm 5'11 and this works in all but the smallest RJs.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
Pro tip: after takeoff move the small bag from under the seat in front of you to behind your legs up against your seat. Now you should have plenty of room for your legs under the seat. I'm 5'11 and this works in all but the smallest RJs.

Yup. That does help with the leg room.

Also, for a while I was motoring which window seats were best. For a while (if I recall correctly) the United Row 8 was good as the seat edge was in the next wind but Row 10 sucked cause its the part of the fuselage where there was a larger gap between windows. An instant loss of 3" of shoulder space....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Piss before you get on and the window seat is glorious. Shades down, seat back, Bose noise cancelling on and I typically forget we are flying.

I prefer the window seat too.

Shade down but instead of putting the seat back, I drop the tray and sleep on that like a desk at school. I'll pop a couple of nyquil before getting on the flight so I end up sleeping through it.

Last time I did that was in June flying from here to Chicago to drive a car 17 hours back. I arrived in Chicago after midnight, took an Uber to the car and proceeded to drive straight through to Orlando.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Well as long as there is not a hairy humanoid on the wing pulling wires out of the engine cowling ….

Captain Kirk is not bothered by anything on the wing! That was all an act. Cool

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Riding Greyhound in the old days was a much more pleasant experience. That's a really sad commentary on air travel today.

No shit, but I never thought of it. When I was in college I had a girlfriend in another city, and a small motorcycle. I sometimes took the bus, and it was more comfortable than a modern airplane coach seat. By a mile.

If I can't get at least an exit row or bulkhead seat, I just can't handle it. I am a tall, big person and I just don't fit in coach.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always take the aisle. Last flight home was a 12 hour flight. Near the end of the boarding process a lovely young lady and her 4 week old baby presented themselves for the middle seat next to me. A colleague on the other side of the cabin caught my eye as I stood to let her in. He was LOL’ing pretty hard.

Truthfully, the baby was no problem. But every time mom nursed the child, she elbowed me in the ribs. That grew tiresome.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Piss before you get on and the window seat is glorious. Shades down, seat back, Bose noise cancelling on and I typically forget we are flying.

#metoo.

I am usually asleep before we leave the gate. There have been multiple times where we have been seriously delayed and I have not known about it until I woke up and realized that we were still in the air when we should have been on the ground already.

The best was one time I was coming back from Brussels. This was before the seatback entertainment system with the navigation info. I woke up and looked at my watch and realized we should have landed around an hour ago (a lot of Belgian beer was involved which is why I was able to sleep for around 10 hours straight). I went to the back and asked the stewardess who looked at me strange, and then said "Oh, 36A. Yeah you slept through it all but we had a 5 hour ground delay because of an engine issue. Do you know the guy in 19A? He slept through it all too."

I did know him and he had been on the same beer diet as I the night before. Smile

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
When I was working I flew every week and had status on most airlines. If I couldn't upgrade in advance we were permitted to fly Business or First if Business wasn't an option. The result of that luxury smacked me in the face as soon as I retired and had to pay for my own flights. I realized how fortunate I was.

I now avoid flying if at all possible. Most of our traveling these days is via Motorhome. If I do have to fly we go for aisle and middle. My wife is a saint.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Aisle, please. For the leg room, and ability to exit more quickly.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
"exit more quickly" what I don't get is the plane pulls up to the gang way and everyone on the plane jumps up and starts pulling their bags out of the over head bins like they all have 5 minutes to make their next flight....

Window seat for me.... always.. but then 90% of the time I'm doing first class.,,, which is now almost to the level of coach 40 years ago.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Aisle for me unless I'm flying somewhere with a view that isn't to be missed. I just did DFW-LHR and FPO-DFW on a 777-300ER and 700-200 respectively in the premium economy cabin (well worth the extra money). My flights out of MCO and back home were in coach and HOLY SHIT, did they suck in comparison. I'm a mid level status holder with AA so I get free upgrades occasionally and I'll cash in some miles for upgrades on longer flights, but ALWAYS have main cabin extra or exit row seating. Being smashed against a window or even worse, in the middle seat way back in the plane is about as bad as it gets.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
"exit more quickly" what I don't get is the plane pulls up to the gang way and everyone on the plane jumps up and starts pulling their bags out of the over head bins like they all have 5 minutes to make their next flight....

Ain't that the truth. There is no more etiquette in exiting a plane either. The unwritten rule of letting seats A,B,C out first then D,E,F doesn't exist. It's first out.

Last week I was in the aisle seat and as soon as the plane stopped. some jack wad behind my row got up and tried to advance in the line out of the plane. Fortunately he was cut off and took my time taking down my carry on just to irritate him as much as I could.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Captain Kirk is not bothered by anything on the wing!

He should be.

I do this for a living, and there's some scary shit out there.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Oh Yea! Seat 12F, no window at the shoulder and a full flight. At least the middle seat person is not a linebacker. It’s going to be a long flight....

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I hate the window seat.

Only thing worse is having an aisle seat and the stewardess has 1.5 aisle wide rear end and stops the food/beverage cart right behind your row.

Wait, are you complaining about the stewardess rubbing her booty against you?

Aisle seat all the way. At least one shoulder isn't smashed and I can stick one leg into the aisle. I am 6'3". Coach is only tolerable for very short flights.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I hate the window seat.

Only thing worse is having an aisle seat and the stewardess has 1.5 aisle wide rear end and stops the food/beverage cart right behind your row.

Wait, are you complaining about the stewardess rubbing her booty against you?
Yes, but I was very specific with “1.5 aisle wide rear end and stops the food/beverage cart right behind your row.” That is not rubbing, that is using my shoulder as a seat.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^. Years ago as a young lad an old lady used my shoulder as a balance point to remove her bag from the overhead. She must have thought she was leaning on my seat. I would not have minded it if it was a young gal around my age at the time but she wasn’t. To top it off, she didn’t use her Shower to Shower that day Eek. That’s when I moved to the window seat.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Piss before you get on and the window seat is glorious...

I wish I was young again! At 67, I need to go, er...often.

Speaking of good/bad seats, this is a good source:

https://www.seatguru.com/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffxjet:
quote:

The remarks of the professional, my game plan as well.

I did a huge amount of flying before I retired from IBM. All over the USA, several trips to Europe, etc. I even had one of those special ID cards for very frequent flyers. Note that this was before the airlines turned their planes into the human equivalent of cattle cars!

As said, that was long ago. My last commercial flight was the last!

I decided during that torture test that if I can't get there by driving, I ain't going. Most of my family is in Idaho and if I need to go there, I can get there in about 72 hours. Did it once when much younger, but figure I can do it again if needed. Hard to imagine a situation requiring me to be there that quick, though.

I hate being in crowds, Always have.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post