SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Distracted Giant SUV-Driving Mom This Morning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Distracted Giant SUV-Driving Mom This Morning Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
On my way to work this morning, I go approach a school zone with 15 mph flashing lights. This woman in front of me in an Expedition or Tahoe slows down at the point where the speed limit goes from 45 to 15, then she quickly zooms through the zone going way faster than even 45. I eventually catch up to her and she's all over the road, keeps crossing the center line.

At a red light I have a chance to pull up alongside her as I'm waiting to make a left and I look over. She's got a big cup of coffee in one hand and her phone in the other. Lady, you need to concentrate more on driving that land yacht and put something down, FFS! Roll Eyes

Posts: 33747 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We are watching our 9 yr old granddaughter. We dropped her of at school earlier today. This was the first time we’d done this. What a shit storm with soccer moms in those same giant SUVs fighting for a spot to drop off Susie or Bobby at the front door and then get out of the school grounds. Plus, it was raining.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
On my way to work this morning, I go approach a school zone with 15 mph flashing lights. This woman in front of me in an Expedition or Tahoe slows down at the point where the speed limit goes from 45 to 15, then she quickly zooms through the zone going way faster than even 45. I eventually catch up to her and she's all over the road, keeps crossing the center line.

At a red light I have a chance to pull up alongside her as I'm waiting to make a left and I look over. She's got a big cup of coffee in one hand and her phone in the other. Lady, you need to concentrate more on driving that land yacht and put something down, FFS! Roll Eyes

I live North of Pittsburgh, we are infested with Denalis, Escalades, Range Rovers and Navigators. I have come to believe that one must have a cup of coffee and a cell phone in hand to successfully drive a 3 ton road locomotive. What really frosts me? $60 - 90K for a car and they can't afford a $100 bluetooth headset? Along with the fact that most 2017 and 2018 come with bluetooth built in. I suspect it's above the technical capability of the drivers to link up the phone and drive hands free. THE most dangerous spot is the road in front of Starbucks, it seems as if they launch that 3 ton mass o metal without regard for the "lesser" cars.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I live North of Pittsburgh, we are infested with Denalis, Escalades, Range Rovers and Navigators. I have come to believe that one must have a cup of coffee and a cell phone in hand to successfully drive a 3 ton road locomotive. What really frosts me? $60 - 90K for a car and they can't afford a $100 bluetooth headset? Along with the fact that most 2017 and 2018 come with bluetooth built in. I suspect it's above the technical capability of the drivers to link up the phone and drive hands free. THE most dangerous spot is the road in front of Starbucks, it seems as if they launch that 3 ton mass o metal without regard for the "lesser" cars.[/QUOTE]

It is the same way south of Pittsburgh.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago on Ft Carson I pulled over an erratic driver during rush hour. I had to make him uncover his lap, it was 90 degrees out and he had a jacket over it. Turns out he was using a device that someone told me was sold under the label "Auto Suck," which plugged into his cigarette lighter. Erratic driving, indeed.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now googling "auto suck"....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Now googling "auto suck"....

Before I Google it, did you find what you were looking for? Big Grin

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fear these drivers far more than the Saturday night drunks.....at least the drunks have their eyes on the road, even if it's a bit blurry.....

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Jeebus. Even my '12 Corolla and '13 Tundra came with bloo toof connectivity.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
So, did you get her phone number?

Posts: 15880 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pima county AZ will sometimes post a Radar unit at or closely near a school zone to catch speeders as they zip thru the 15MPH school zone..

I hear the citation business is brisk.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In most school zones you could post a car, with all lights flashing, running radar and you'd run out of tickets before you run out of speeders.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Drive through any affluent suburban neighborhood in the US and you’ll witness the same.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here in Georgia, the governor just signed a law that says you cannot have your phone in your hands when driving. The law takes effect in a month or two and I am very happy with it.
I'd love to be around when cops start writing tickets for people holding their phone at stop lights. We already have a no-texting law and I see people all the time at lights, using their phones. You don't park at a red light, but apparently, some people think the law defines driving as "being in motion". Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Here in Georgia, the governor just signed a law that says you cannot have your phone in your hands when driving. The law takes effect in a month or two and I am very happy with it.
I'd love to be around when cops start writing tickets for people holding their phone at stop lights. We already have a no-texting law and I see people all the time at lights, using their phones. You don't park at a red light, but apparently, some people think the law defines driving as "being in motion". Roll Eyes

Are you allowed to hold it when dialing?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Are you allowed to hold it when dialing?

From my understanding, that is a grey area, because now how are you able to prove you weren't hanging/texting/surfingtheweb? Sure, you can go through the whole motion of showing the time stamps on your phone, but honestly, you will just make it worse. I don't even talk with my phone in my hands, and I was going to say I text, but I dont know the last time I even did. I just mainly change my pandora station. However, my wife is with me most of the time, and I have good dictation skills.
Side note, I didnt know para lived in the same state as me.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
We have the idiots racing through the treacherous Jawja mountains.
These left lane Andrettis will kill you all for a little thrill.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/nssBN4Exato

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post