SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Idiot scammers trying to spoof caller ID
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiot scammers trying to spoof caller ID Login/Join 
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
Has anyone answered the calls and played along with the scammers just to waste their time. I'm thinking about doing this next time.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
The most common (almost daily) offender for me, is the ones that spoof your area code & prefix, easy to weed out.

Yup...these get the ol' "Block Caller" function immediately. Unfortunately I'll have to press that function 9,999 more times, accounting for all the numbers without my last four digits...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chino101:
Has anyone answered the calls and played along with the scammers just to waste their time. I'm thinking about doing this next time.

Depends on how I feel, most of the time I let them go to voicemail, but sometimes I answer.

I listened to the "IRS" guy tell me that I would go to jail if I didn't wire my back taxes of $2534 immediately. I told him I didn't owe any taxes. When he started arguing about it I told him to come and take me to jail, I was tired of sleeping on a park bench and I was looking forward to 3 meals a day. He told me to "f" off and hung up, I laughed.

Got a call from the auto warranty dept. She said the warranty on my vehicle was about to expire and I could renew it with my credit card. (Vehicle was less than a year old) I asked her what she was wearing, she said excuse me, I said that I was not wearing anything and I was hoping she was naked too. She called me a pervert and hung up. For some reason my wife got mad at me for that one.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:
quote:
Originally posted by chino101:

Depends on how I feel, most of the time I let them go to voicemail, but sometimes I answer.

I listened to the "IRS" guy tell me that I would go to jail if I didn't wire my back taxes of $2534 immediately. I told him I didn't owe any taxes. When he started arguing about it I told him to come and take me to jail, I was tired of sleeping on a park bench and I was looking forward to 3 meals a day. He told me to "f" off and hung up, I laughed.

Got a call from the auto warranty dept. She said the warranty on my vehicle was about to expire and I could renew it with my credit card. (Vehicle was less than a year old) I asked her what she was wearing, she said excuse me, I said that I was not wearing anything and I was hoping she was naked too. She called me a pervert and hung up. For some reason my wife got mad at me for that one.

Love them both but the last one the most! LOL

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Scammer: You need to pay these taxes immediately or I will send the police to your door and you will go to jail.

Me: Send them. They'll never take me alive.

Click.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Among the reasons for the stupid calling:

1) According to the WSJ, phone companies pay a small fee per call to the database providing the Caller ID info being displayed. Sadly, those fees are larger than the costs of robo-generating fake calls to drive up demand for that data. Thus there is a profit-motive for spammers to link with those companies for a share of the Caller-ID data access fees paid by the phone companies.

2) Sometimes they are recording you to get voice data for hacking. There is software that can use recorded voice information, such as you saying "Yes" when someone asks "Is this So-and-So" or saying "No, this is XXX-YYY-ZZZ" when they ask "Is this 866-555-1212". Of course, in some states recording calls clandestinely is illegal, but so is rejiggering voice data to fool voice security systems. Wink

I don't answer the phone if I don't know the caller. I have good voice mail, and I don't need to talk to anyone who doesn't know how to leave a message, or won't.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the guys who works for me got a call the other day from a "company" that could lower your credit card interest rates. All they needed was your credit card number, expiration date, etc.

He had them on the phone as we drove for 20 minutes. First he told them that he was driving and the card was in his trunk. They said they would hold the line, so he turned up the radio to give them some waiting music.

5 minutes later he started making up a series of numbers. Once they entered them into whatever they put them into they realized it wasn't an actual card number.

This started a bunch of name calling in a heavy accent. He went toe to toe with them for another 5 minutes or so. They insulted his mom, he accused them of relations with animals that live in the desert. Back and forth.

Then he said "but hey, I really am interested in a lower interest rate", and the most amazing thing happened. Mr. Scammer went right back to reading off the script. They even negotiated a negative interest rate where the credit card issuer would pay you simply for using the card. All he needed was the number. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Unless your phone number shows up in my already known contact list, you can talk to my answering machine.

Exactly!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I've received two calls and two texts all from different people from AZ to STL to OH. All had received a "call" from my number. Annoying.

I explained that it appeared I had been spoofed and would they like to buy a timeshare. (Timeshare part is untrue)

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got two calls from Ladue, MO (St. Louis suburb) today. They left voice mails. Apparently, the IRS is really pissed off at me, and want to arrest me. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
guys, its simple. Just wait until you get a real person and then fuck with them.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
H
"Number Blocked" .... My wife does that, legitimately, on her phone.... She is a mental health professional and does not want her clients to have her personal number.

Talk about no sense of adventure. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
"Number Blocked" .... My wife does that, legitimately, on her phone.... She is a mental health professional and does not want her clients to have her personal number.
Talk about no sense of adventure. Razz
You want adventure? I'll give you adventure! Give me your phone number and I'll make sure to pass it on to the right group of people. You'll have adventure day and night. More adventure than you ever imagined. I'm sure that you will enjoy it. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
My cellphone called my cellphone once about 6 months ago. But I didn't answer me.

Ha! Now THAT is an epic post!
I have a call-blocking app on my BlackBerry and, somehow, the same number that is blocked, can make my phone ring. It's truly an abuse of the telephone system, and, in 2018, there HAS TO BE the technology to scrub and discover those abusing the telephone system in this way.

Yes... if my phone calls me, I don't know that I'll answer! Big Grin

String

Posts: 107 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
My cellphone called my cellphone once about 6 months ago. But I didn't answer me.
I have to admit that I really thought you were full of monkey poo.

However, just a few minutes ago, my Google Voice number called my Google Voice number. I followed your example, and did not answer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
We have had a few calls showing up as our own phone number, and a couple showing up with my name but incorrect number.

We have been in the no answer let it go to voicemail mode for a least a year.

Our greeting - leave a message - if you don't leave a message, we will not call you, even if we think we recognize the number.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Unless your phone number shows up in my already known contact list, you can talk to my answering machine.

Ha! You said “answering machine”!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

However, just a few minutes ago, my Google Voice number called my Google Voice number. I followed your example, and did not answer.

Now humanity is doomed because you didn't answer your call from future you to stop the zombie apocalypse.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
quote:

Now humanity is doomed because you didn't answer your call from future you to stop the zombie apocalypse.
Or maybe I was calling me to tell me what lottery numbers to pick.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post