SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Peculiar package combos – added photo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peculiar package combos – added photo Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
In the small “automotive” section of my Kroger grocery I saw a peculiar package combo yesterday: a small screwdriver-handle type ratchet driver and a folding corkscrew to extract corks from wine bottles.

Hard to believe that many folks would be looking for that combo. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Damn! I have been looking for that exact combination and there are no Kroger stores around here. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
And the ratcheting handle couldn't be used on the corkscrew? EDIT: I see that idea has already been implemented.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Factory probably had excess corkscrews they couldn't get rid of (or the other way around), and by bunding them together, they can force someone who's buying the one tool to have to buy the other too.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
And the ratcheting handle couldn't be used on the corkscrew? EDIT: I see that idea has already been implemented.

Kind of… I’ve this “Puigpull Carjack Style Corkscrew”:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL6ZO3S/r...ZDSXF7XYM1S6VY4EHH9H

Its advantage is that it pulls straight up, rather than at an angle, as waiters style corkscrew do. Good leverage, too – multiple strokes to catch each ratchet point. I bought it for much less than this Amazon price though.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8925 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once saw a 24 pack of AA batteries that also contained a Tide detergent stain remover pen.

Posts: 367 | Location: Southwest Missouri  | Registered: April 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:

Kind of… I’ve this “Puigpull Carjack Style Corkscrew”:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL6ZO3S/r...ZDSXF7XYM1S6VY4EHH9H

Its advantage is that it pulls straight up, rather than at an angle, as waiters style corkscrew do. Good leverage, too – multiple strokes to catch each ratchet point. I bought it for much less than this Amazon price though.

I've had waiters use this one on bottles of wine I ordered at better restaurants.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the stain pen/battery combo a few years back.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Don't let Felix Immler see that. He might build a canoe or something with it.

Posts: 10902 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could attach a wine bottle for leverage

Posts: 739 | Location: Germany | Registered: August 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For the “photo or it didn’t happen” folks:

I now see that the brand name is “Her Hardware”, so the target market for this package is women. Do you think that might explain why a ratchet driver and a corkscrew to open wine bottles would be packaged together?

Serious about crackers

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think the idea being, after ‘she’ fixes something, she opens the wine to celebrate.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The Jimmy Buffet pack. “Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw”

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5145 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
The Jimmy Buffet pack. “Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw”

Nailed it! Also ideal for bored housewives who need to hang pictures while consuming a full bottle of wine.

Posts: 2477 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I now see that the brand name is “Her Hardware”, so the target market for this package is women. Do you think that might explain why a ratchet driver and a corkscrew to open wine bottles would be packaged together?
That makes a lot more sense to me. It could make a fun housewarming gift for a woman buying her first place.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post