SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Getting stung by some insect every time I get on the bike this year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting stung by some insect every time I get on the bike this year Login/Join 
posted
I've only had two real opportunities to take my KLR for a ride this year. Both times I've used it on the road, happily minding my own business, I've been stung by some bee, hornet, or wasp.

This is the only year I've ever been stung by anything while riding, yet this year, the stinging insects are winning 2/0. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's hard to do so if you're on the road, but maybe switching to darker clothing would help? At least, I've heard it helps you avoid attracting ticks. Maybe it'll work on larger insects that are attracted to bright colors, as well?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a black and red bike, and I was wearing a black but horribly beaten up jacket, and a black helmet for both incidents.

I'm hoping it's just a string of bad luck and it'll be done soon. A couple of benadryl later and I'm feeling much better.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
A couple of years back I got a bee inside my helmet. Full face. Doing 65MPH. Not fun.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
A couple of years back I got a bee inside my helmet. Full face. Doing 65MPH. Not fun.

Yikes! I've had a yellow jacket inside a full face helmet in a previous year a few times, but thankfully for whatever reason, they all chose to be friendly and not sting the crap out of my face those times.

I think I came close to setting a new short stopping distance record using a KLR 650 each time though. Razz

-------------
$

posted Hide Post
I use a Coppertone SPF 100 on my face and all exposed skin when riding. (Used to be a redhead before I became a gray head.) A side benefit is that bugs may land, but they don't stay long enough to bite. Also helps protect against win burn.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I've had that several times on my sport bike. Since I don't have much wind shield, they impact my upper chest. But the way air circulates, it' sucked up into my full face helmet from below, landing on the ledge against the face shield. The first time I almost peed myself but they are generally dazed at that point. I crack the shield open and they get sucked right out.

Had a wasp or something go up my sleeve doing 80mph (It's Michigan, we can get away w/ it). 80-0 while wasp is stinging you until you can get your jacket off is an eternity.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
taking a june bug in the face at highway speed is worse than a bee sting Eek

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too have done the bee in helmet thing. Bumble bee. Surprising how heavy they are when crawling on your facial features!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like my windshield, CB-1100. It doesn't stop everything but most insects.

Over the years I've taken a few larger bugs to the body and even face, no major damage.

One of the closer calls was years ago when I almost took an owl to the chest at night. At night the critters are a real threat.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned my encounter before, but it's always good for a chuckle.
Riding home and felt what I thought was a small rock hit me. I head to the post office and was standing in line when the damned wasp came to, and started stinging. Got me 6 times before I could get outside and get my shirt off.

quote:
posted by side_shot:
taking a june bug in the face at highway speed is worse than a bee sting Eek

I'd have to agree. Luckily, it didn't happen to me. Not so lucky for the guy I was riding with.
Happened as we were zooming across the I-74 bridge, about halfway across the Mississippi. He was riding ahead, and I saw his head jerk and he swerved to the left side of his lane. Got to our destination and he pointed out the welt on his forehead.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I can testify that a bird can thump you pretty good too!

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being a girl & getting 1 caught in your bra while you are driving with a group (including your Dad & brothers) isn't fun either. Poor boobs got stung 8 times. Luckily I always have Benadryl with me.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Got hit by one the other day but fortunatly it got blown off my face before it could sting.

Many years ago during a winter ride in NY state, a flock of large birds took off in front of us. One very large bird just missed out heads by a foot or two.

Learned to ride in Daytona many years ago. Those love bugs are worse than bees.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
I've only had two real opportunities to take my KLR for a ride this year. Both times I've used it on the road, happily minding my own business, I've been stung by some bee, hornet, or wasp.

Good thing you don't ride in AZ. All of our feral bees are Africanized, and we have plenty more nasty insects to insult you. It seems that everything in AZ is "nasty", i.e, designed to protect itself and do maximum harm to any intruder. Try to pull a wildflower from your yard, and you end up with hundreds of spines in your hand, almost like you had just handled fiberglass.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post