SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You'll be bored if you retire early.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You'll be bored if you retire early. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Bored my ass. I'm busier than ever but the difference is it's stuff I want to do. Oh and the stuff my wife wants me to do.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
NLT 60 I'm popping smoke and retired, without question. Earlier if possible, but that's a for sure date.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I retired at 63 in 2011. I'd aimed for 60 but the crash in 08 set that goal back a ways to get the 401k back to where I wanted it. My job was getting pretty stressful and I don't miss it one tiny bit.

Bored? Hah!!! If you get bored when retired, you're not doing it right. There are times when we don't really have any plans so we just hop in the SUV and go on a road trip for anywhere from overnight to a couple of weeks. Even in the winter we take off for a few days within a couple hundred miles or so to some place we've never been before and enjoy eating out at little off the grid mom and pop restaurants. We've discovered some memorable food doing that.

For those in their 30's or younger, I can't stress enough how important it is to start an investment plan toward retirement. I learned how poor planning can make retirement boring and unrewarding from my parents. I told myself that would not happen to me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
I retired at 55. Between occaisional grandkid visits, travel in the motorhome, shooting and riding my bike I stay busy and fulfilled. I have not felt bored in almost 4 years.

I think if people don't have hobbies and things they enjoy doing boredom can set in.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off. Wink

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
A couple things have been mentioned, have hobbies now, don’t wait until retirement to start. I also know of several that didn’t make it long after retirement at 65 or so.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I had planned on 65, but the job has gone to hell, and my earnings are way off. Now looks like less than a year to go.

I'll have to learn to live cheap for about 3 years till 65 because of health care. After that, it'll be better. I'll need to be frugal, ...but will not be bored!!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
My father in law is 70 and not only does he work, he works as a sorter at an Amazon facility. Not the type of job you'd think a 70 year old guy would have.

His excuse? He gets bored. At least that's what he tells my wife. I think he's in financial trouble of some sort. That or he's just a cheap asshole. Always claims he doesn't have money when it comes time to get the grand kids stuff. "Oh I'll have to see if I can scrape my pennies together..." Thing is, he (supposedly) gets an Army retirement, a Com-Ed (electrical company up north) retirement and social security. What the hell is he spending his money on?

Back on topic, I told my wife her dad should find a hobby. Maybe something like bike riding or something that will keep him busy.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I plan to work until I croak. Smile

It must be that P228 addiction of yours.

Here is an idea. If I can find a big enough U-Haul we can take them over to my place. The stockpile will be gone and you won't be tempted to find that extra JJ the first shelf was reserved for. I have a CDL, so it may only take 2 trips. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
legendary_lawman
Picture of prairieviper
posted Hide Post
I retired early and have not been bored at all, although the things that I do to occupy my time have changed considerably. When I first retired, I went to work part-time at a college, had hobbies that I was really serious about and found plenty of things to do on the farm. My needs were filled and life was good.

Nowadays, I no longer hold any sort of public job, am less serious about my hobbies, work around the farm is mainly doing landscaping, planting flowers, shrubs and trees that my wife and I both enjoy doing. I find myself less willing to make commitments for my time now and prefer to live my life unscheduled, for the most part. Life is good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: prairieviper,

"In God We Trust"

Posts: 1992 | Location: Central USA - Cornfields & Cows | Registered: May 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
My father in law is 70 and not only does he work, he works as a sorter at an Amazon facility. Not the type of job you'd think a 70 year old guy would have.

His excuse? He gets bored. At least that's what he tells my wife. I think he's in financial trouble of some sort. That or he's just a cheap asshole. Always claims he doesn't have money when it comes time to get the grand kids stuff. "Oh I'll have to see if I can scrape my pennies together..." Thing is, he (supposedly) gets an Army retirement, a Com-Ed (electrical company up north) retirement and social security. What the hell is he spending his money on?

Back on topic, I told my wife her dad should find a hobby. Maybe something like bike riding or something that will keep him busy.

Gambling perhaps? Perhaps his wife spends it all.

The big issue of why I see guys not wanting to retire is after being married so long, they don't want to spend 24/7 with their wife.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Sounds like my former Postman who was 71 when he fully retired.

He was a US Navy retiree, receiving Social Security and working for USPS, both he and wife driving MB cars.....and always bitching about high taxes he had to pay.

Last word I got they were traveling around the world.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
73, here, and not retiring anytime soon. I have a great job, work from home, live in a beautiful area. No debt, enough money to not worry, retired wife, take off when I want. Why retire?

I'm considering 3-4 day weeks at 75 but that's still a couple of years off.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I turned 66 beginning of this year. Retired mid-July.

Bored? Ha! Not a chance. Difference is: Now I get to do what I want to do, on my schedule.

I'm not bored. I am happy, though.

Trick is to have enough socked away to supplement SS income so you don't have to take a lifestyle hit. Another trick is to be healthy & fit enough to be able to take advantage of your retirement years. It's also good not to hit the retirement wall at full speed. I gradually eased-off at work, including taking increasing amounts of time off, so it wasn't quite a night/day change when the day came.

Even then I'd say I'm just getting to the point that I don't always have this nagging thought in the back of my mind that my time to complete whatever project or task upon which I'm working is limited "because Monday."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Difference is: Now I get to do what I want to do, on my schedule.

Exactamundo.

I told the wife a while back "Between my parents, the U.S. Navy and various jobs since, I've lived my life by somebody else's schedule for over 60 years. I ain't doin' that shit no more."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I retired back in 2005. no kids, no debt and smart enough to put a good chuck into investments. Bored? not really. Being next door to the sig academy helps. A few miles from the beach and great roads to take bike rides into the mountains.

I have to think it was the right move. If i waited until 65 which is the max age for my job, I would have lost years with my wife who passed away this year. So in my case, it was worth it.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired at 68 y.o., for a couple of reasons. Loved the job I had and wanted to to pay my house off (a couple of divorces will do that).

Have more than enough money for my needs (and some fun money left over). Never will have enough money to satisfy my "whims"!

It's been seven years now and I've not been at all bored.

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I told the wife a while back "Between my parents, the U.S. Navy and various jobs since, I've lived my life by somebody else's schedule for over 60 years. I ain't doin' that shit no more."

We're on the same page.

There was something... don't recall what it was... she was after me about. "I'll get it done in my own good time, honey. I've been answering to somebody else's schedule for 47 years. Now I'm answering to my schedule."

Yeah: There are things that need to be done when they need to be done. I've got litter box duty, now. And vacuuming/dusting. The lawn needs cutting when the lawn needs cutting and the snow needs clearing when it needs clearing. Stuff like that. But, even then, I still have the flexibility of deciding early or late, and sometimes today or tomorrow.

Major projects? I decide priority and set the pace. "It'll shine when it shines" is my motto Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I'm looking down the barrel at it. Can retire in 10 months. I'll actually be loosing money if I stay past 18 months. I would make more being retired than staying. So I would be paying to work.

My problem is, I don't have much in the way of skills. 20+ years as a SWAT guy. I'm still in pretty good shape and I'll be 51 at retirement. But man, I hate to teach. I can't stand the thought of going to the academy and teaching something I could barely stand sitting through training for, for the last quarter century.

I see retired guys working at Home Depot, etc. I'm not sure how I would handle a 23 year old boss nagging me about some BS. plus I don't really know that much about tools/yard stuff. My guns have been my tools since I went into the military at 17.

Every time I go to a gun store, I hear some mall ninja talking to the gun dude about how his uncle was a Seal. so he knows stuff and he carries a fourtyeleven caliber bazooka revolver with a custom action from Tasco, and I think "fuck that".

I'm not a high stress guy, I don't get all twitterpated by pursuits and machine guns. I don't feel like I need to run away from my job, but I also don't think I would miss it. I don't think about work much when I'm on vacation, or on my days off. No kids, no bills, no yard. I have traveled the world and been to all 50 states. I have time to figure it out, but I really do worry about being bored, being broke if I'm stupid. And I tend to be stupid when I'm bored.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
But man, I hate to teach. I can't stand the thought of going to the academy and teaching something I could barely stand sitting through training for, for the last quarter century.

You might see if you can be one of the additional instructors - not the one who has to do all the talking, but one of the ones who helps to demonstrate and be there to show the processes. You might enjoy it that way.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post