SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You'll be bored if you retire early.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You'll be bored if you retire early. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
I retired back in 2005. no kids, no debt and smart enough to put a good chuck into investments. Bored? not really. Being next door to the sig academy helps. A few miles from the beach and great roads to take bike rides into the mountains.

I have to think it was the right move. If i waited until 65 which is the max age for my job, I would have lost years with my wife who passed away this year. So in my case, it was worth it.

Sorry about your wife Rich. Been to the Sig store once, have to go again.

Kevin

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I get 6% each paycheck put away. im in my 20's so is that a good amount to be saving in a 401?

I'd say it's fantastic. Most 20 year olds are saving nothing, so you are way ahead of the game.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
I get 6% each paycheck put away. im in my 20's so is that a good amount to be saving in a 401? I also get retirement after five on my currant job, close to full after 20 years.

That's a terrific start, considering most people give it little consideration at all.

As to whether that's enough? Answer: It depends.

Six percent of what? When will you retire? (Which will determine how long you'll have to live off it.) Do you expect to maintain the lifestyle in retirement you had while working? What will be the state of social security when you retire? Cost of medical coverage? Do you own your home, or will you by the time you retire?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

Those are all important questions, but probably a bit early for a 20 something. He's off to a great future if he keeps it up. Adjustments can be made once life provides some of those answers.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^^^

Those are all important questions, but probably a bit early for a 20 something. He's off to a great future if he keeps it up. Adjustments can be made once life provides some of those answers.

Understood. I was just trying to give him an idea of how hard it is to answer his question.

I thought that would be better than "maybe," or no answer at all Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Retired at 57 with 32 on the Cop job. I simply could NOT take the BS, paperwork and politics anymore. So got out before I told people exactly WHAT I wanted to tell them. LOL.

Retired with minimal debt, house paid for, cars paid for, etc.

Luckily I joined the Natl Guard when I got out of the USAF. So had that retirement to pay for out Medical bennies.

Life is good. I do gun shows, a few shooting sports, reload, fish, cast bullets, etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Based on the fact most of my peers retire to here after their shift is over, and the feed back, I feel good. I hear I get full 100 % after 20 years, of my final pay. I figure I'd rather get like 80 %

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer: I hear I get full 100 % after 20 years, of my final pay.

Is that adjusted for inflation after retirement? If so, that's an unbelievably good deal. Work for 20 and get paid for the next 40??

If not, the purchasing power of your final paycheck at age 42 is going to diminish significantly by the time you are 82.

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I got bored. I was in the car business so now I am driving cars for a dealer and where I use to work. I enjoy driving and getting to different towns. I don't do it for the money, but I now have some mad money should I need it.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer: I hear I get full 100 % after 20 years, of my final pay.

Is that adjusted for inflation after retirement? If so, that's an unbelievably good deal. Work for 20 and get paid for the next 40??

If not, the purchasing power of your final paycheck at age 42 is going to diminish significantly by the time you are 82.

I think so. I'm not clear on it, but it also wasnt intended for guys in their 20's to retire after 20 years either. I'll probably just semi retire, since 43 is just way to early. See if they'll give me a 8-5 4 days a week or something.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
I retired at the age of 52. Life is good. It will be what you make of it.

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2123 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’m making a virtue of necessity here, but I was more or less forced to retire several years ago, as this lung disease progressively got worse.

I had not planned on retiring. My plan was to keel over at my desk at age 90 or so. Oh, well.

It turns out I should have retired at age 30. I am at my best when doing nothing. It is a lot more fun than getting wrapped up trying to solve other people’s problems.

I read all day, interrupted by cursing at cable news guests, and hanging here on the forum. Of course, AlGore hadn’t invented the internet when I was 30, and Bill Gates was still a relative windowless pauper just getting going.

Boredom is not a problem. The cure for boredom is curiousity, as has been well and truly said, and there is no cure for curiosity.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
I retire in 5 months. After 28 years in the Navy, I'm fully retiring and moving to Roanoke VA. Can't wait! I've been getting in to photography and look forward to having more time to practice.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
I'm just retiring at almost 72 years old. Will be in transition mode for 2 more months to help the company then that's it. In 2017, I traveled ~45 weeks to/from home and job by air (home each weekend). Typically worked 50-60 hours or more each week. Liked the work and the folks I worked with and for but the air travel each week had gotten beyond just annoying and was rapidly approaching hideous. Wife plans to retire this summer after a long teaching career.
Kids and grandkids live close enough so we see them often. We are fortunate enough to have our health and no financial concerns. Have some hobbies but didn't have much time to pursue them - vacation-type travel (not work-related travel), photography, golf, and spoiling grandkids. Now I will. Biggest concern is that without my work, I may not feel professionally "relevant" or "needed" any longer. Guess I'll soon find out! Looking forward to making it a positive phase of our lives. Smile

Posts: 1983 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

I met last week with a retirement planner. I'm 66, but have no intention of retiring.

And then I spoke with the planner. At my age, I have to begin Social Security disbursements. Added to any salary I may have, my tax situation may be negatively impacted. Thus, I'm setting up a "retire at 70 if need be" scenario.

That means looking at SSI, my IRA, investments and my soon-to-be-created deferred annuity plan. If done correctly, I should be able to continue with my standard of living, given that some things (like Medicare -- I currently have a company-paid health plan) will adjust some parameters. I may have to cut back on my GAS, so I'll just purchase what I want now and sit back later. :-)

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post