SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You'll be bored if you retire early.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You'll be bored if you retire early. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I doubt I will, but so what? There are so many things I want to do that don't require much money to do.

I think it's just negative talk from those that may not be able to retire even at 65.

I am honestly happy for those that can retire how and when they want and try to learn from them. I encourage everyone to start saving something, even if it's 1% in the 401k. I talk with a couple retired guys that I used to work with, they don't even seem like the same people. They are so much happier, even if they can't buy a new gun as often and shoot more .22LR to save a little money for example.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
One of the three smartest things I ever did:

1. Get Married.
2. Quit Smoking.
3. Retire as soon as I could.

I'm a MUCH happier guy since I can choose who I hang out with.

Yeah, I get a little bored in the Winter, but I did before PLUS had to deal with asshole-induced stress.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I am many years from retirement, and I can safely say I don't think I'll ever be bored when I do. How can you be bored when you have all day to do anything you want? A co-worker of mine retired a year ago and sends me pics every now and then of being out hunting, hitting the range, etc and rubbing it in...

Congrats if you can retire early, enjoy it!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Father of one of my co-workers retired (early) last year, couple of our crew still keep in touch with him. Dad and son were on the Dade County team for years.

Every single time they ask him how its going, he says "Its Friday!" , no matter what day they call.

He isn't regretting the decision either. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1925 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Comment
posted Hide Post
My uncle always says "Every day is Saturday except Sunday because the bars are closed."

Posts: 35 | Location: Springfield MO | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired early about two years ago in part because I had a spinal fusion, both hips replaced and a revision to one of those hips as well as developing PEs in both lungs all within a three year period. People ask me all the time if I miss work and I always say "hell no why do you think they pay you to come in" Sure you get bored but I can do whatever I want when I want, the only draw back is less money to spend and of course interacting with co-workers from 28+ years at the same work place.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bored? hah!

I retired in mid 2003. Moved to Arizona a year later. In late 2005, bought a new Honda GW and began to tour the lower 48 on a motorcycle. I was gone 2-3 months at a time.

I often see men in their 70's still working full time and I ask why?

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I both retired on the same day in 2015. We’ve never been bored. We’ve wintered in the sun and enjoyed Montana in the summer.

There’s so much to do and see.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
I retired at 46, now 51 and boredom is no issue at all... Have any idea how much I enjoy NOT having to drive to a job with 12" of fresh snow? Just pour another cup of coffee and do whatever the hell I want. Shop at off hours, go exercise whenever I want, reload, shoot, read, surf the net, cook good food, volunteer, or do a day of jack shit... No boredom here.

I sacrificed when I was young, invested by myself since I was 23, and now it's just me time with FU $. I figure I can always pick up a side gig if I wanted, but if you are strapped for $$$, you may never retire. Boredom is a state of mind, and for many getting "un-busy" is a hard thing, as is a loss of status/prestige, what people think/say... Sub zero fucks given for what folks think, and it is an adjustment that once realized can leave you giddy.

BTW, obviously your advice is sound on investing early. I have never had more $$$ in my life, yet continue to spend very little, but if I had too could pay cash for anything I would want to buy. Yep, lots of folks will poo-poo folks who save and invest; funny they always seem to be the ones living paycheck-to-paycheck, even earning good dough. Good luck, and if you don't already know of this site, it can be very helpful for early retiree's, or folks wanting to take the plunge.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired @ 59. Took almost a year before I could sleep past 5:30 or 6am.

It also took awhile to realize I didn't have to work. Now,I can sit in the family room watching storms linger or pass by, drinking coffee or an adult beverage if it's ater noon & food in my belly,, knowing I don't have to work. Just the greatest feeling! I worked 40+ years and now it's my time.

I can stay on this forum, (as long as I realize I am a guest ), this has become a part time hobby!
I get news, get intelligence, and life lessons here. A wealth of knowledge to be gleaned.
I'm quite satisfied.

Thanks para & all posters for giving this old retiree a wonderful website!

Enjoy your retirement & wherever it leads you!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
My dad retired as an electrician at age 69-70, but a few months later he went back to working full-time but now my mom made him drop it to about 20 hours/week or so Roll Eyes

The area, I grew up in is rural, not really any electricians - especially honest ones!

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope I have my business in order and can retire in 10 years and stay retired.
I see a lot of guys retire at work (army depot) but are back out there in 6 mos because their retirement won’t cover their lifestyle.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:How can you be bored when you have all day to do anything you want?

I think it could happen if you retired too early, weren't financially prepared and didn't have the money to do "anything you want".

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’m a ways out yet, but I’m trying pretty hard not to be the guy still working at 70. I’m also not counting any monies in the wife’s retirement accounts. That’s going to be bonus or emergency fund money when it’s time.

I’m a homebody so that helps with costs and I have nobody to impress. We’re on the 10yr plan on cars, buy a new one, pay it off and keep it for at least 10years total. Rotate as needed. I’d love a new truck, but I’m holding out for 15 years or 200k on my Toyota. I’m still having fun, buying a toy now and again, bought a Dillon 650 last year to help the shooting sport.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I plan to work until I croak. Smile

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired a year ago from the Rock Island Arsenal at age 66 and I'm lovin' every minute of it. It does help that we saved a lot and the IRA has done very well.

Keeping busy may not require money, but it sure comes in handy. In the past year our big trips have been Alaska and China, we're doing the travel before we have to use walkers. Here at home it's weekly (as a min) trips to the range plus flying a Cessna 152. There's also some volunteer "work" with our church and the county Sheriff's Dept.

All the retirement seminars I attended said "have something to do." I have plenty to do - things I enjoy doing - and it's working out great. YMMV.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
I like what I do for money, and will probably not ever fully retire, unless I have health issues. But I don't plan on working very hard after 60 years old! Thanks for the reminder to keep saving as much as possible. I keep forgetting I have most anything I need, and a lot of things I don't need. More money in the market won't hurt a thing. Thankfully, the wife is not the "spendy" type. She saved thousands to buy her first house and continues to save away. She is a blessing and complete oppisite compared to other women and wives I meet in the DC metro area.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Not sure I'll practice until I croak, but I'm no hurry to quit either. After 25 years, I feel like I'm at the top of my game and enjoy what I do. I understand that other occupations place much higher physical demands on aging bodies and being an employee instead of the boss has the potential to suck. Both are good reasons that people want to retire early.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm only 41 and not retired. But I "think" I would be bored if totally retired. That being said I plan on retiring, but then getting some kind of hobby job a couple of days a week doing something I love.....and spending 5 days a week goofing off......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

I worked with a few guys who did just that. Croaked at work or shortly after retiring. Widows got the Pension benefits and other $$$$$ goodies.

Husband got a nice casket.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post