SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shady Amazon Sellers, Now with credit card fraud as well.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shady Amazon Sellers, Now with credit card fraud as well. Login/Join 
posted
So, not really sure how to title this as its never happened to me before. Bought something on Amazon, inconsequential little organizational doodad for <$30, and now I'm getting a request from the seller to cancel my order so a refund can be issued. They claim a recent discovery of damage to product, making it unfit for sale. I checked amazon to see if they have more of said product before I ask for a substitution. Still shows stock for sale, but price is now 2.5 times higher and I'm thinking now they want me to give them an easy out for a pricing glitch either on their end or Amazon's.

Am I justified in complaining to Amazon and requesting to be sent what I bought, that I know they have as they are still selling it, for the price I originally paid. I know pricing errors were almost always settled in the customer's favor when I worked retail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wolfe 21,

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I only buy when the seller is Amazon or a known vendor. I don’t buy products that are made by no brand Chinese sounding companies. And a growing list of other rules.

It’s actually getting harder to buy things on amazon unless you know a specific manufacturer for the product you want.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Am I justified in complaining to Amazon and requesting to be sent what I bought, that I know they have as they are still selling it, for the price I originally paid.
If I wanted the item, I would definitely communicate with Amazon's customer service, preferably by "chat," so that I would have a hard copy record instead of a "he said, she said" phone call. If I did not get satisfaction there, I would send an email to Jeff@amazon.com

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Talk to Amazon, for sure.

But I also usually follow the rule of buying from Amazon directly and known sellers. I avoid unknown and foreign sellers unless the amount involved is under the amount I would be unduly upset about losing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, figuring that out the hard way unfortunately. It was a brand name product, simply available for about 1/2 what the Amazon distributor was. Shoulda just bought it from the manufacturer, as they are still cheaper than Amazon.

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Talk to Amazon, for sure.

But I also usually follow the rule of buying from Amazon directly and known sellers. I avoid unknown and foreign sellers unless the amount involved is under the amount I would be unduly upset about losing.

Where I count as "known sellers" also people who have a very high seller rating over time.

For stuff sold be other sellers, even fulfilled by Amazon, you have to treat them just like eBay sellers: Caveat Emptor.

quote:
Yeah, figuring that out the hard way unfortunately. It was a brand name product, simply available for about 1/2 what the Amazon distributor was.

"If it sounds too good to be true..." applies here, I think.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ Pretty much. I am now disputing fraudulent charges to my card, I am assuming stem from this purchase. Card is cancelled, 7-10 days with no access to funds and disputing several hundred dollars in charges originating from some sink hole in the middle east. I've never been out of my state, none the less the country.

posted Hide Post
Do not store your CC on Amazon - ever.

Buy an Amazon gift card (not on Amazon)and load it.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon is usually pricey enough that I think they have just become my last ditch, can't buy it anywhere else option.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

And you base that advice on...?

If the seller is legitimate, they're no more unsafe than any other seller with whom you'd share your card info on-line or over the phone.

But, if you're really worried about it:
quote:

...the Amazon Payments service gives you the option of adding money to an Amazon Payments account, to which you can add money from your bank account. When you're finalizing your purchase from a third-party, you can opt to use your Amazon Payments balance to make the purchase, instead of a credit card. This is a safer way to pay, as you don't have to share your banking information with the third-party seller.

Ref: Is Using a Credit Card on Amazon Safe?

I've been buying from Amazon and third-party Amazon sellers for fifteen (15) years. Always via a CC. I've had two cards compromised. Both a local B&M merchant terminals.

quote:
Amazon is usually pricey enough that I think they have just become my last ditch, can't buy it anywhere else option.

Then you must be buying from some pretty-low-ball places.

I shop locally, on-line at several places, on eBay and on Amazon. IME Amazon and Amazon sellers are usually at least competitive, if not the lowest price from a reputable seller.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve only been hosed once. I bought a copy of software that was represented as new with a damaged box. I received the CD that looked very original with a card giving me the serial number. I installed and registered my new copy. All was good. The software was 50% off.

A few years later an free upgrade was released and I was unable to upgrade. I emailed the company with all my info and they claimed my copy was a pirated copy.

I should have guessed by the price but trusted Amazon. At that point the seller was long gone.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

If the seller is legitimate, they're no more unsafe than any other seller with whom you'd share your card info on-line or over the phone.

quote:

...the Amazon Payments service gives you the option of adding money to an Amazon Payments account, to which you can add money from your bank account. When you're finalizing your purchase from a third-party, you can opt to use your Amazon Payments balance to make the purchase, instead of a credit card. This is a safer way to pay, as you don't have to share your banking information with the third-party seller.

I've been buying from Amazon and third-party Amazon sellers for fifteen (15) years. Always via a CC. I've had two cards compromised. Both a local B&M merchant terminals.

quote:

I shop locally, on-line at several places, on eBay and on Amazon. IME Amazon and Amazon sellers are usually at least competitive, if not the lowest price from a reputable seller.

Advice based on real life experience my friend. Truckloads of it. You can't hack and steal an Amazon gift card.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Advice based on real life experience my friend. Truckloads of it. You can't hack and steal an Amazon gift card.

Dude,

Amazon credit card processing is safe and secure. As in REALLY safe. And who cares if your credit card info is stolen. WHO CARES!!! The credit card company will cover all the charges, they will reverse them, and they will issue you a new card. A minor inconvenience. Not anything to worry about AT ALL. Deciding which burger to order at the fast food joint is more stressful than fraudulent credit card purchases. (I use my credit cards for about $70K to $90K per year in transactions. With so many transactions, my accounts get compromised about twice a year. Its so easy to fix, and so much of a non-issue, that I do not even worry about it. Call the company, and its fixed. Easy as pie.)

As always, don't use your debit card on the internet.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

quote:

quote:

I buy mostly hobby items or tools online. So Brownells, midway, DSG, AIM surplus, Sears, Harry Epstein, etc. Most times I only buy things on sale, so I can do better from any of the above than Amazon. Small items are about equally priced iv I buy online or local, so I take the no waiting option and buy local. Amazon has been mostly for streaming video and occasional hard to find items like a Wiha nut driver for Glock front sights or an Eva-dry for my safe that was part of the order that led to this post in the first place. So, no, not low end retailers. I just use a little patience and look for a good price.