SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Darn Deer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn Deer Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We had seven deer on the property this morning. I expect to find a few damaged trees today.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Now you might have moved into their natural habitat or others somewhere else moved in maybe nearby and they have to go somewhere to eat. Now before you get mad at me you can thank some of the animal rights promoters that try and discourge hunting/trapping which can cause over population . In some states more deer are killed by auto/trucks accidents than are legally taken by hunters. Have been a legal hunter/ fisherman in (Louisiana/Mississippi/Alaska) so take it easy on me. And I understand the problems that the animals can cause to private as well as public property. .......................drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The deer in the Yoop are mainly hood ornaments. An accessory your motorcycle doesn't need.

I’ve killed two this way, and lived to tell about it. They are all over in SW PA.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I wish all deer in Louisiana would vanish. You have to watch out for them on the roads at night. Girlfriend was a newspaper distributor for over 30 years. The last 20 she hit or they hit her 17 damn deer. When you're on all the country roads all night 7 nights a week you see all kinds of stuff. And at home I used to have a huge garden but that all ended about 25 years ago because the deer showed up and would eat everything.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
They are destroying everything here too.

The future Mrs. is a gardener... Lots of flowers and plants, and we did some Tomatoes and Peppers too.

They left them alone for a while, then starting two weeks ago they came and destroyed everything.

We put out a motion activated water sprinkler, a motion activated Ultrasonic thing that is supposed to scare them, liquid fence (smells like Death's asshole), wire cages, literal human hair, and coyote urine crystals.

They didn't care at all, still came and ate it all.

I have thrown tennis balls at them (hit is square in the rump and it still didn't run) shot them with airsoft guns (still didn't run).

I dunno what to do.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
We've had problem with deer this year, more than ever. Bastards are eating our hostas damn near to the dirt, ate all the buds of our tiger lillies, and now eating my peas and beans in the garden! There are three of them! Two nice little legal shooters for deer season, lol! And, yes I hunt and live in the country. So, fair game this year!!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dogs do a pretty good job keeping the deer away from our home and sensitive vegetation.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I was gonna say, the best deer deterrent we have found is a German Shepard. The deer are still pretty domesticated in my area, but they take a much wider path around our house than they used to now that we have our dog. Our boy is pretty obedient so we can let him go chase the 'forest boys' and as long as he is still in shouting distance he will come back when we call him. That is mostly to keep him from running through the creek or across the street. He absolutely LOVES chasing the deer. Hasn't ever caught up to one, but he keeps them honest.

Didn't have to teach him or anything. He pretty much figured out what our territory is, and if something is in our territory, he is gonna whuff at it, run over to sniff it, and if it runs he is gonna chase it till it is out of his territory. He usually stops once they are out of his zone, but occasionally he will chase them back into the woods for a minute or two then come trotting out with a big doggy smile on his face. It isn't perfect, but I haven't had any problems with the bucks rubbing their antlers all over our young trees and half-killing them since we got him. Plus, you get to have a dog, which is way more fun to play with than a bottle of piss crystals.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
10 years ago or so, when I had both a dog and a llama, NOTHING got inside the fence without getting chased off or getting a mudhole stomped in it's furry butt.

Never saw a deer, skunk, coon, porcupine or even so much as a cat. Never.

No longer an option with Mrs. PHPaul's allergies. Frown

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there are those that jump in to traffic.

Last week one jumped on to a two lane state highway,
A car headed south
swerved to miss the deer
but over corrected and went in to the
north bound lane.

The head on collision killed a very good person who made the world a better place to be for many on a regular basis.

At 66 years old he left behind two children and an ex wife.

His neighborhood watering hole opened up on a Sunday to help those grieving ,
Many showed up over the four hours.

Iowa is not killing anywhere near enough deer.
R.i.p. Mike Bartlett

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
10 years ago or so, when I had both a dog and a llama, NOTHING got inside the fence without getting chased off or getting a mudhole stomped in it's furry butt.

My friends have a donkey on their farm. I never knew that they were used to guard the livestock. That thing destroys anything that makes the mistake of coming onto the property. Deer, coyote, skunk, possum, you name it. None of it stands a chance against that donkey.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
None of it stands a chance against that donkey.
Nice ass

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a small group (or herd) of deer that hangs out in the woods behind my townhouse. Not unusual to see them standing on the patio, licking all the seed out of my bird feeders. But they create another situation: Coyotes. The local Coyote pack has discovered them and hunts them during the night. The eerie howling, yipping and barking is unnerving while you try to sleep. There are two creeks that converge behind the property with fresh water nearly all year round. The action takes place around the creeks and the Coyote pack often travels right across my yard to get to the creeks. They are after my Cottontails too. The food chain.... Right in your face! Eek

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul, does Maine have any type of deer nuisance laws?
Might be worth checking in to.
Ohio has them and in certain cases a permit is issued to harvest deer that are doing damage to property.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
My friends have a donkey on their farm. I never knew that they were used to guard the livestock. That thing destroys anything that makes the mistake of coming onto the property. Deer, coyote, skunk, possum, you name it. None of it stands a chance against that donkey.

<Searches on "keeping a donkey as a pet"...>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many deer in town that the Police Department harvests about 50 of them a year. Meat goes to needy families.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I figured I'd put The Fear of Humans in it, hauled out the little .22 Mag LCR I carry all the time and cranked one off.

And the sonofabitch just stood there looking at me like "Ooooooooooo, I'm SO scared..."

I've taken to shooting at their feet and making them dance. It's about the only thing that will run them off around here.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Reading this thread tells me that a man with a donkey and a llama don't need no dogs.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
^^^ That probably depends on the donkey.

We have two of them on our property. They'll tear the crap out of coyotes but we've seen them regularly around the deer and wild hogs. Neither seem to be bothered by the donkeys.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Tree Rats aka Squirrels.

One of those little fuckers got into my attic and chewed up the air conditioning/heater return air ducts. That was expensive.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post