SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How do I stop unwanted advertisements?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I stop unwanted advertisements? Login/Join 
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted
I am being overwhelmed by unsolicited, or wanted, advertisements/sales promotions on the internet.

Is there a way to secure my email from these ANNOYANCES?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Get a burner free email and only use that one for signing up online. it won't stop it, but it will slow it down some. Eventually, your 'real' email will clean itself if you only use it for email to people you know.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Here's how I solved that problem, at no cost. Free.

gmail has excellent spam filters.

Get a gmail account.

Forward all mail from your other accounts to the gmail account.

Collect your mail from the gmail account.

This way, all of your mail will run through the gmail spam filters and almost all of the garbage will be placed in a "junk" folder, leaving the real stuff in your inbox.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^ did this with my work email, GMAIL puts them in SPAM, Social and Promotional boxes. Very handy

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

Will check into the best solution.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I don't have a lot of love for Google, but they got Gmail right. Any spam that does slip through, you can tag it as spam and it's gone forever.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
If our law makers were worth a shit, they'd enact laws to slow it down. They must be on the take. Another alternative would be to start charging a minor "tax" or "postage" on all email. No enough to cause serious friends a problem but high enough to bankrupt mass mailers. If they wanted to make it palatable to receivers, pass along the funds to the receiver. You send me an email, it will cost you maybe a penny. Not a problem with the current value of the penny, but very costly to the mass mailers that send out hundreds of thousands a day. Just like snail mail, the postage must be attached. Maybe the postal service would be of some service even. These days they only fill my mail box with trash mail.

But that's my fault, we had my deceased mothers mail forwarded to our address. I knew she was running out of money. She was 99 and 9 months when she passed away back in July. The reason she was so broke was because she was giving money to every cock-a-mamy scheme under the sun. Seems she liked getting mail. Calendars, solicitations for even more junk. She never would listen when I tried to tell her that her name and address were even worth more than the $ she was sending. She didn't care, she just liked liked lots of mail. Boy did she ever get it. Taught us a lesson. Give nothing to solicitors. And if you feel supporting them and the scammers is worthwhile, don't attach your name to the donation. Your contact information is even worth more than that minor donation. They'll sell it a hundred times so others have you on their sucker list.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Gmail (which I use) has a good but not perfect spam filter.

I'd rate it about 90% for catching spam first time, and I'd estimate that only 1% of what it catches is stuff I'd rather have passed through. You can help the first number by identifying the spam that got through and it gets better over time. but that 1% never really goes away.

So, you still have to go through their spam file once in a while, in case that 1% includes something from a long-lost friend or a non-spam note that somehow had structure or content that ran afoul of their algorithms.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post