SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Importance of One Little Zero
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Importance of One Little Zero Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Needed a 5/8ths reamer for a job. That's...ummm....5 divided by 8, decimal point goes over here...0.625

Except that I ordered and received a 0.0625 reamer from McMaster.

The price should've been a hint...

After going back to McMaster and checking the price on the one I needed Eek vs. the one I ordered, I got a Chineseum one from Grizzly. Just need to bore and finish one aluminum pulley, should be okay, right?

Right?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Right

Wink

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
“Uhm yea sir,...Let me know how that works out for ya..” said my first Senior Chief to me almost three decades ago...MM SCPO Jerry Hudson was wise beyond his years for a “seasoned” A-Ganger serving in an elder lady of an LPH and training “his” then Division Officer — continued wishes to Sail Safe and Good Hunting Old Friend!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KP93,

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 62 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try watching someone calculate a percentage discount. Hahahahah.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Just ream the pulley under a really big magnifying glass...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
My brother repaired Caterpillars for a living for a long time, so quite a few of the tools he needed were plus size. After a few years of putting the snap on guy's kids through college, he came up with a new tool policy. When he needed something, he'd get it from Harbor Freight if he could. If he used it enough to break it, he would replace it with a quality version. It ended up being pretty rare that he had to pony up for the good stuff, and he ended up saving tens of thousands of dollars over the course of his career.

I have high hopes that your new reamer will make it through this first challenge!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
a 0.0625 reamer from McMaster.

Gotta admit, I'm surprised they make a reamer that size.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
.0625 = 1/16. A sixteenth-inch reamer? Confused

Posts: 27949 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Yup. Who knew? Can't imagine ever using it, but not worth returning.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Yup. Who knew? Can't imagine ever using it, but not worth returning.
I'm envisioning a Dremel bit

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'm envisioning a Dremel bit

Pretty much, yup.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
a 0.0625 reamer from McMaster.

Gotta admit, I'm surprised they make a reamer that size.

They make them MUCH smaller than that for watchmaking.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
... Just need to bore and finish one aluminum pulley, should be okay, right?

Right?

You don't need a bigger reamer, you need a 1/32" line or cable.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Paul, you are into diorama's aren't you. Now you have the perfect reamer to make a 1/10 scale model of whatever that life size pulley goes on to.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Hey Paul, you are into diorama's aren't you. Now you have the perfect reamer to make a 1/10 scale model of whatever that life size pulley goes on to.

Big Grin

Just need to dream up something to use it for.

We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

Big Grin

Just need to dream up something to use it for.

Having enjoyed many of your project posts here I’m confident you can and will do it and I look forward to the post about the project!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
In the machining world, the zero at the end is important too: 0.625 ≠ 0.6250

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
In the machining world, the zero at the end is important too: 0.625 ≠ 0.6250

You mean like this?

I'm waiting on the reamer to arrive to finish the bore and then I can broach the keyway to match.

posted Hide Post
It’s just a zero. Zero = nothing you’ll be fine :-D

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
It’s just a zero. Zero = nothing you’ll be fine :-D

In my world that 4th decimal signifies a tolerance of +/- 0.0005 inch (unless otherwise specified). So it aint "nothin".

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post