SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Nephew of sorts is going to ruin his chances at being LEO.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nephew of sorts is going to ruin his chances at being LEO. Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Maybe you might ask your girlfriend if he has a close relative or friend that he might listen to(assuming your GF concurs with your assessment). Then contact that person and discuss it. If they agree then they should speak to him personally, not on FB.
Secondly, and even more important, is to resist saying I told you so to the GF if it all goes south.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
GF agrees with me. I actually mentioned it to his Mom on Christmas Eve. She agreed and said that basically she told him the same thing and that he is a person that you tell once and leave him be. He won't change his mind on anything just because people hound him.

In this case that is a bad trait. But in other circumstances it isn't. For example, his mom is super bleeding heart liberal and he is super conservative, no matter what she says.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
He either wants to be a cop or he doesn’t. In the huge list of sacrifices one has to make for a career in law enforcement, abandoning social media or refraining from posting stupid stuff on there doesn't even make the list. His career is doomed with that attitude and almost certainly lacks the maturity to be a police officer.

Some times LE job problems involving social media are messy and very public which may negatively impact his ability to get a subsequent job.

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have known a number of LEOs who believed that their opinions of what was right and wrong (for them) trumped society’s and their agencies’ rules and policies. Most ended up being fired and on the street with nothing to show for the effort it took for them to get into law enforcement in the first place. And it’s LEOs like that who occasionally make the headlines and end up worrying about whether they will be placed in general population.

No matter what we may think of something like the bump stock ban, illegal is illegal, and virtually all law enforcement officers must sooner or later enforce laws or rules that they don’t like personally. Can’t do that? Best to find some way of making a living as a political activist to change what you don’t like.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
People getting themselves in trouble over social media postings is not limited to LEO's either.

I previously worked with a couple of persons that made disparaging remarks that came back to bite them.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I’m friends with 6 cops in real life.

On social media, particularly Facebook, 2 of those cops abstain.

1 cop is a creepy lurker and doesn’t post.

The other 3 have only their first and middle names visible or some variation and tend to stick to posting about their families, hunting pics, or just random non controversial bullshit.

The most “controversial” stuff I’ll see the final 3 post is pro-Trump or pro-2A articles.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
OP, you are correct about him ruining his chances at getting a job...they WILL look at his posts, and stuff like that WILL get him dumped from the process. What concerns me more than the comments, though, is his attitude towards correction from those older and wiser. The comments themselves can be written off to being young and dumb, but a police candidate who thinks he's smarter than those who know better than him, and believes he's above the law is not someone we want in the profession.

Better for him that he get dumped from the process now than get hired and end up sued or in prison later on.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Rather than post on his social media about the evils of social media, why not have a face to face talk with him.

Imagine he’s shooting his mouth off with his friends and you stepping in and advising him. What do you think his reaction will be in front of his friends? That’s what you did.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
who stopped me for not having a light on my bicycle.

When I was on the road, that was a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CITATION for me. No warning, no ifs ands or buts. I got real tired of working fatalities of people riding bicycles on the roadway without lights. After you scrape the first few up, you learn pretty quick to cite.

And what's up with the insistence on wearing black clothing while riding a bicycle in the dark with no lights? It is selfish to do so because it ruins the life of the poor guy that can't see you and kills you.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I’m 21 years in LE and I post on social media....but you need to be smart about it.

As part of the hiring process, a smart background investigator will check your social media. You may have some explaining to do about things posted.

People in LE have been fired or suspended for things they post. Like I said, you need to be smart about what you post.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes a certain type of maturity to correctly handle social media. Maybe he should wait a few years before the applies for LE.

The facts of life; you CAN'T do anything you want. I know people who are 67 years old who don't get this.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Sometimes stupid has to hurt before reality sets in.

I’ve been stupid on social media. I got burned pretty damn bad due to posts here, of all places.

Probably would have gotten my walking papers if the captain that called me in had his way. Luckily a deputy chief was involved and had a cooler head.

Learned my damn lesson, though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
And what's up with the insistence on wearing black clothing while riding a bicycle in the dark with no lights?
I've also noticed that around here with people walking on the road at night.

I was lucky with a dark African American walking towards me on the road, wearing dark / black clothing - the ONLY reason I saw him is he smiled a very toothy grin to whoever he was walking with. Scared the shit out of me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
22 years in LE and my posts are generally cat or dog pictures. nothing political and i don't even have my job listed. only family and close friends know i am in le. most assume i'm doing something with computers. Smile

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am concerned that he doesn’t have the emotional intelligence to have a career in law enforcement.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being belligerent about this and not seeing the real ramifications- Does he have what it takes to be a good cop?

"he is a person that you tell once and leave him be. He won't change his mind on anything just because people hound him."

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

When I was on the road, that was a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT CITATION for me. No warning, no ifs ands or buts. I got real tired of working fatalities of people riding bicycles on the roadway without lights. After you scrape the first few up, you learn pretty quick to cite.

And what's up with the insistence on wearing black clothing while riding a bicycle in the dark with no lights? It is selfish to do so because it ruins the life of the poor guy that can't see you and kills you.

Casing places for burglaries or a midnight dope run.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I don’t know the exact hiring process but my understanding is he’s gone through everything and has been offered the job. He is starting police academy soon. I’m assuming his social media will be a problem at some point but it depends on how they find out. He does have it set to friends only. I’m not close to him and see him only rarely. If I have the chance I will talk to him.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have no argument against that. I was polite, compliant, and deferential with him the entire time. Had he explained things the way you just did instead of acting like a hot-to-trot chickenshit rookie, it wouldn't have stuck in my craw like it has. We both know what I'm talking about here. That's why I brought it up in this context. I haven't been stopped in years because I lost my lead foot, so it wasn't like that was my only contact with an officer stopping me, and it still stands out as the only one that pissed me off, even having been politely ticketed for mo' money.

quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Casing places for burglaries or a midnight dope run.

In full disclosure, I had just had a fight with my wife that was bad enough that she actually got in the car and took off, so I figured "fuck it, I'll go buy a six pack." I crossed one back street, cut between stores in a strip mall, rode through the parking lot to the corner store, bought my six pack, loaded it in my backpack and made it across the well-lit parking lot and between the stores when the searchlight hit me the same time as the red and blues and I heard the screeching tires and "STOP!"

I wasn't wearing black, but I guess having a beard and long hair made me look like the homeless drunks that live on the beach there who've all lost their driver's licenses. I worked at a music store, lol. *shrug*

Now I wear a high & tight, and I shave, and I don't get eyeballed. I also don't ride a bike anymore. I guess it just works that way.

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I don’t know the exact hiring process but my understanding is he’s gone through everything and has been offered the job. He is starting police academy soon. I’m assuming his social media will be a problem at some point but it depends on how they find out. He does have it set to friends only. I’m not close to him and see him only rarely. If I have the chance I will talk to him.

Good luck to him. I don't know how old he is, but the job, and the life will form him from here on out.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post