SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Life's Hard. It's harder when you're stupid.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life's Hard. It's harder when you're stupid. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I've been adding farkles to the new bike. The very first one was to ditch that torture device disguised as a seat and replace it with a Corbin.

MUCH better, but it's higher (more padding) and made the reach for the handlebars just that little bit more that made it uncomfortable.

Fine, that's why they make handlebar risers.

Yup, but the fine folks at Yamaha made the clutch cable just long enough to fit in the stock position. Raising the bars an inch and moving them back towards the rider an inch and a half makes the stock clutch cable too short.

No problem, that's why they sell custom length clutch cables.

Based on advice from the FJ-09 owner's group I'm a member of, I ordered a cable for a Yamaha R1 and a new clutch arm from a Bolt (longer, better leverage) and installed everything. Kewel!

Went for a 130 mile ride today on my favorite twisties loop and by the time I got home my left wrist was pumped up like Ah-nold. The new clutch arrangement was HORRIBLE. I've driven TRUCKS with nicer clutches. WTF?

So, after pitching a bitch on the forum, it occurred to me that I hadn't lubed the new cable when I put it on. I mean, it's NEW, right? Probably teflon-lined. Shouldn't need lubing.

Gotta do something tho, so I dug out my cable-lubing gizmo and gave it a healthy shot of Loose Juice. Also rearranged things a bit for a straighter pull on the clutch arm while I was mucking about.

Wooo. LUBE! Whadda concept! Works slick now.

Doh.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Hey, at least you figured it out before you embarrassed yourself publicly asking for advice.

Big Grin

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Hey, at least you figured it out before you embarrassed yourself publicly asking for advice.

Big Grin

-Rob

Frown Frown Frown

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I felt your pain. I don't need a new padded seat. My padding travels with me.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I wish I felt your pain. I don't need a new padded seat. My padding travels with me.

Mine too. Unfortunately, it's in the wrong place(s).

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yup, but the fine folks at Yamaha made the clutch cable just long enough to fit in the stock position. Raising the bars an inch and moving them back towards the rider an inch and a half makes the stock clutch cable too short.

Projects have a tendency to grow - do one thing and it adds three more that need to be changed/worked. Glad you got it worked.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I've been adding farkles to the new bike. The very first one was to ditch that torture device disguised as a seat and replace it with a Corbin.

MUCH better, but it's higher (more padding) and made the reach for the handlebars just that little bit more that made it uncomfortable.

Fine, that's why they make handlebar risers.

No problem, that's why they sell custom length clutch cables.

Based on advice from the FJ-09 owner's group I'm a member of, I ordered a cable for a Yamaha R1 and a new clutch arm from a Bolt (longer, better leverage) and installed everything. Kewel!

Went for a 130 mile ride today on my favorite twisties loop and by the time I got home my left wrist was pumped up like Ah-nold. The new clutch arrangement was HORRIBLE. I've driven TRUCKS with nicer clutches. WTF?

So, after pitching a bitch on the forum, it occurred to me that I hadn't lubed the new cable when I put it on. I mean, it's NEW, right? Probably teflon-lined. Shouldn't need lubing.

Gotta do something tho, so I dug out my cable-lubing gizmo and gave it a healthy shot of Loose Juice. Also rearranged things a bit for a straighter pull on the clutch arm while I was mucking about.

Wooo. LUBE! Whadda concept! Works slick now.

Doh.

That's the cable lube reminder system. When you get back from a ride and your left arm wants to fall off, its time to lube all the cables.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
speaking of clutch and cable, I sat on a bike of mine that I rarely ride and I pulled the clutch lever and nothing. There was no resistance. This happened about 6 years ago and I rebuilt the fluid reservoir. I cannot believe it would need it again, with less than 500 miles since rebuild.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post