SIGforum
What Is It With PC Makers And Stickers?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1690059084

April 01, 2021, 03:42 PM
PASig
What Is It With PC Makers And Stickers?
Why can’t PC makers take a cue from Apple and have a CLEAN machine when you unbox it?

Bought a new Acer Swift 3 laptop and it’s great but I had to peel off not one, not two but three stickers right where you rest your hands.

I just don’t get this obsession to remind me what processor or specs I have. It’s just annoying and dumb. Red Face

Kind of like the gunmakers who have to emblazon or engrave/mold all sorts of stupid patterns or warnings into the frames or slides of their guns.

April 01, 2021, 03:54 PM
.38supersig
But, but...

How else would you know that the processor has 27 cores? Where am I supposed to grip the pistol at?

April 01, 2021, 04:07 PM
trapper189
First world problem day?

My daughter put an Apple sticker over the Dell logo and a dozen unicorn stickers as well on her laptop.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,
April 01, 2021, 04:37 PM
Phelen_Kell
My Dell had four stickers.
April 02, 2021, 12:38 AM
Lefty Sig
I always peel stickers off any electronic device that has them, along with CD/DVD/Blu-ray/UHD disc cases.

But then I know strange people that think the stickers HAVE to be there and leave them on for some reason, and in some cases refuse to remove them. The silliest is the protective film on shiny clear plastic things. Company IT department had to send emails telling people to remove the protective film from the laptop power supplies because it blocked airflow and caused overheating. And of course, I saw an IT consultant with one of our company issued laptops with the stupid film on his power supply...

Apple covers everything in clear plastic for assembly and shipping but puts white pull tabs on there so it's obvious you're supposed to remove it.
April 02, 2021, 06:54 AM
Pipe Smoker
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Why can’t PC makers take a cue from Apple and have a CLEAN machine when you unbox it?
<snip>

Smile
Yeah. Apply guy here.

Serious about crackers
April 02, 2021, 07:55 AM
sigcrazy7
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
First world problem day?

Isn’t every problem we have a first world problem since that’s where we live? The fact that a problem is even posted here implies a certain level of advancement being that it requires a device, electricity, and an internet hookup. Dismissing anything as a first world problem is akin to saying “21st century problem.” Of course a sticker isn’t as problematic as bubonic plague, but we’re not living in the 13th century, so any equivalency of problems meant to diminish the problem seems unwarranted.

It especially sucks when product stickers use that permanent glue that makes the sticker tear apart, so you end up nearly damaging the product to remove it. I hate that, and those blister packs that cause you to damage stuff trying to get it open.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
April 02, 2021, 09:33 AM
Paten
Every laptop I've bought in the last ten years have had stickers on the hand rest area. So what? They peel off with little effort and leave no residue. Next time just buy a Mac so you don't have to whine about a minor inconvenience.
April 02, 2021, 10:03 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

I hate . . . those blister packs
There is no suitable punishment for the guy who invented those, short of his dick turning green and falling off.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
April 02, 2021, 11:50 AM
konata88
I think this harkens back to the days when PCs were basically open systems. And PC makers needed ways to differentiate their offerings. Macs, on the other, were generally closed systems.

Mac only needs to distinguish between their own models. PC makers need to distinguish within their own models based on different internal parts coming from various companies but also other PC makers.

I also hate the stickers - gimme the information when I make the purchase decision. After I buy something, I don't need to be reminded what I bought w/ a dozen different stickers.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
April 02, 2021, 11:57 AM
Rey HRH
I agree. and I just usually leave the stickers alone. What bugs me if a corner starts lifting up. Then I keep trying to press it down. Worse is if I have no choice left but to peel it off then I have to deal with the stuff underneath or the difference between what was under the sticker and the rest of the surface.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
April 02, 2021, 02:31 PM
trapper189
quote:

Isn’t every problem we have a first world problem since that’s where we live?...

I thought PAsig's post may have been an April Fools as three stickers on a laptop usually don't rise to the level of a problem in the first world either. No extra trips to the hardware store were made; no bigger hammers, torches or heat guns were used; nothing was broken; no knuckles were bloodied; and it probably took him longer to post about it than to peel the stickers off. Seemed like an April Fool's post.
April 02, 2021, 07:43 PM
sigcrazy7
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Isn’t every problem we have a first world problem since that’s where we live?...

I thought PAsig's post may have been an April Fools as three stickers on a laptop usually don't rise to the level of a problem in the first world either. No extra trips to the hardware store were made; no bigger hammers, torches or heat guns were used; nothing was broken; no knuckles were bloodied; and it probably took him longer to post about it than to peel the stickers off. Seemed like an April Fool's post.

Gotcha. Carry on. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
April 02, 2021, 10:48 PM
Joe123
My laptop I am typing on right now has them, and they don't just peal off. In-fact half of the important info has rubbed off. I could be using a piece of crap.. who knew?
April 03, 2021, 09:25 AM
smschulz
Yeah such a problem to have to deal with.
The tormented can always remove them.
I de-badged my truck - they must be in cahoots with the PC makers.
And don't get me going on those ridiculous stickers that every one leave on their hat. Mad
April 03, 2021, 01:22 PM
2012BOSS302
I'd say these stickers have their roots in the ingredient branding "Intel Inside" ad campaign from the early 90's. Prior to that the average consumer had neither heard of nor knew anything about Intel. When these ad's started it was a way to teach consumers about important components inside the computer. In Intel's case it was the identity of the processor and to be associated as a sign of quality and innovation. They even provided subsidies to OEM's that used the logo on their systems. It was a highly successful campaign. By the mid-late 90's most everyone knew, or had heard of, Intel (regardless if they knew anything about how the chips were developed and manufactured.) So maybe annoying to some, the Intel Inside sticker (that eventually changed to just Intel) gave people something to identify to - to the effect people wanting a computer with "Intel Inside". Other companies followed with their own logo stickers to hopefully cash in on their own branding.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.
April 08, 2021, 11:29 PM
Legal Beagle
Apple hires brilliant designers. PC companies hire the type of people who came up with the "grip zone" on the XD.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.