SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CC 'service fees' when paying the government
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC 'service fees' when paying the government Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I have my federal and state income taxes set up with a direct link to my checking account. Taxes to be paid come out of it. Refunds go directly into it. No fee, and quick, positive feedback of the transaction. I’ve had this setup for several years with zero problems.

Same with property taxes.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its not just a fee on CC payments, here we pay property taxes online, electronic account debit, not a debit card, RTN/ACT and they still charge a fee.

Still, the fees cheaper than the cost of fuel to drive to the Tax man and give him a check....

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Its not just a fee on CC payments, here we pay property taxes online, electronic account debit, not a debit card, RTN/ACT and they still charge a fee.

Still, the fees cheaper than the cost of fuel to drive to the Tax man and give him a check....
Can you write a check and put it in an envelope with a stamp on it?

Seminole County has no problem with that, but I think that you are in Orange County, ¿si?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes, but we wait until the day it's due, and e-pay it that day, don't have to do anything.

Thats the crazy part, I can write a paper check, which they have to open the mail, stamp, apply to account, deposit, and record, vs an e-payment that does all that, with zero human interface.

And you don't pay for the one payment that costs them labor, overhead, etc.

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
we wait until the day it's due, and e-pay it that day
I'm pretty sure that Seminole counts it as of the postmark date, so you could mail it on the due date, or one or two days before.

Interest for a day or two is less than a roll of toilet paper.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Because every time you use your credit card the person taking that card has to pay 2%-3% plus or minus. The government is charging you what it costs them.

Private business is simply expected to "eat it".

Exactly. In private business the cost is passed on to the customer in higher prices, so it’s hidden.

The government has to pay the same 3%, but most fees are set by statute... so they can’t roll the cost in.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd love to pay an $8,000 tax bill via CC with no fees ... points, Points, POINTS.

Over time I've tweaked my method; I'll put the exact transfer amount into a specific savings account. I hate unpresented checks and debits because I do not maintain a balance ledger or "checkbook" and want to know the exact, accurate amount in my digital 'pockets' at all times.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post