SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CC 'service fees' when paying the government
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CC 'service fees' when paying the government Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I use my CC for paying for goods and services all the time. Mostly to private sector businesses of course.

Whenever I pay some sort of government tax, fee, service (ie - fed/state taxes, DMV, prop taxes, etc), not only am I charged for the amount due, but I'm also charged for using a CC online. If they are trying to encourage e-payment, why also charge for the service? And why does the service charge vary with amount paid?

I pay online via CC because I want the peace of mind that the payment was delivered - not potentially lost in the mail. But I don't see why we need to pay these service charges.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is annoying, particularly when it is labeled as a "convenience fee."

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Because every time you use your credit card the person taking that card has to pay 2%-3% plus or minus. The government is charging you what it costs them.

Private business is simply expected to "eat it".

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Because every time you use your credit card the person taking that card has to pay 2%-3% plus or minus. The government is charging you what it costs them.

Private business is simply expected to "eat it".

True all that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most retailers have the fee already built into the price or just eat it.

If you have the payment deducted from a debit card there is usually no fee. Everyone wants to use the credit card since they gain all the benefits of fraud protection, cash back bonuses, reward points etc.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
or just eat it.

Had this talk with my local gunshop owner. He winds up eating the costs. All of those "cash back " cards comes out of his pocket.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Despite those fees, though, many retailers prefer credit cards to checks. I suppose the disadvantages outweigh the no fee advantage. EuroOptic is the only company I deal with occasionally that goes out of its way to encourage payment by “e-checks” and gives a discount for doing so.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
If they are trying to encourage e-payment, why also charge for the service?

Would they rather me come in to their office, have to staff it,, HVAC it, pay rent, and have my fat ass sit down in front of them? This ultimately saves them money, so why charge us for the "convenience"?

Falls into the same category as self-checkouts (shouldn't I get a discount for doing your job?), but I can't do a dang thing about either one.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
quote:

Would they rather me come in to their office, have to staff it,, HVAC it, pay rent, and have my fat ass sit down in front of them? This ultimately saves them money, so why charge us for the "convenience"?

Falls into the same category as self-checkouts (shouldn't I get a discount for doing your job?), but I can't do a dang thing about either one.

Because of the way the payment is setup in the government. AND, you are paying your water bill one way or another, but you WILL pay it. They're not competing for your business.

Most businesses in many other countries charge the credit card fee onto the transaction. In the Bahamas they do at most all of the islands and places I go to as well as the Central American countries, etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Oh, I get the "why", particularly the captive audience part of it. But I still don't like it.

Rants don't have to make logical sense.

Razz

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

They aren't. They don't really care how you pay it, because they know that you don't really have a choice to go with another service provider. They know they're going to get paid, so why should they eat the service charge.

quote:
And why does the service charge vary with amount paid?

Because it is based on a percentage of the actual amount that you owe

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I’ll add my own little rant on to this. That is when I pay by check to avoid their “service fee” and they wait over a month to cash the check. I hate having to carry that all month when trying to balance the account.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
quote:

And if they didn’t charge a fee for using the CC, then someone else’s taxes would be paying the 2 or 3% to the CC company that you forced them to incur. The people who paid with an echeck or paper check don’t cause the government’s revenue to take that hit to tax income, so why shouldn’t you have to pay it?

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Someone has to process the checks

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And those someones are government employees who are paid to be there whether they're working or not. Thus, no extra costs (although an argument could be made about efficiency).

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Well, I almost never use a CC. I hate the things and so I pay in cash whenever I can. I do write checks for things like my city and county taxes. I'm not paying more to use my CC. That profit goes to the CC company, not the taxing entity.

Yes, I pay cash for my meals out. I've never paid one with a CC and don't plan on it anytime soon. You do things your way and I'll do them mine.

Now as for them charging more for the CC, consider them refusing to take cash. I know, they're government employees and can't be trusted. Even the PDs can't be trusted with cash money. Figure that one out. They may be law enforcement, but they're not to be trusted with cold cash. Government employees, crooks just like their bosses.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you go someplace that gives a discount for paying with cash, you’re actually partially paying the merchant for his CC fees since he bases his prices on most people paying with a CC which means he factors that 2 or 3% into what he’s charging as long as it doesn’t make him noncompetitive. Some CCs will return a percentage of the charges as cashback to the user, so using cash isn’t cheaper on the payment side and also eliminates the possibility of getting a small cash back reimbursement from the CC company. Of course, that only works if you pay off each month’s bill in full so there’re no interest charges.

The one thing cash does ensure is anonymity.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Well, I almost never use a CC. I hate the things and so I pay in cash whenever I can. I do write checks for things like my city and county taxes. I'm not paying more to use my CC. That profit goes to the CC company, not the taxing entity.

Yes, I pay cash for my meals out. I've never paid one with a CC and don't plan on it anytime soon. You do things your way and I'll do them mine.

Now as for them charging more for the CC, consider them refusing to take cash. I know, they're government employees and can't be trusted. Even the PDs can't be trusted with cash money. Figure that one out. They may be law enforcement, but they're not to be trusted with cold cash. Government employees, crooks just like their bosses.

I'll tell you a better one. I go to Islands in the Exumas, Bahamas with yachts a lot...….they charge the consumer 5% additional for credit card fee (their cost) compared to using cash. We're spending THOUSANDS a day at each of these islands. One island is 45 miles (by water only) and the other island is 80 miles (by water or air only) to the nearest bank in Nassau. For them a credit card is much easier, it goes straight into their accounts, they then pay their bills electronically with it. Yet, if we pay cash we get it for 5% less. We may take on 700-1000 gallons of fuel one day, 100-200 gallons of gas for the tender another day, dinner for 8 people every other night, lunches, etc. They then have to transport the cash via small boat to Nassau or fly it to the U.S. to even take it to a bank. LOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
When I pay my taxes I go into the clerks office in person and they still charge a $40 fee to use a CC. Cash or check there is no fee.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:I'll tell you a better one. I go to Islands in the Exumas, Bahamas with yachts a lot...….they charge the consumer 5% additional for credit card fee (their cost) compared to using cash. We're spending THOUSANDS a day at each of these islands. One island is 45 miles (by water only) and the other island is 80 miles (by water or air only) to the nearest bank in Nassau. For them a credit card is much easier, it goes straight into their accounts, they then pay their bills electronically with it. Yet, if we pay cash we get it for 5% less. We may take on 700-1000 gallons of fuel one day, 100-200 gallons of gas for the tender another day, dinner for 8 people every other night, lunches, etc. They then have to transport the cash via small boat to Nassau or fly it to the U.S. to even take it to a bank. LOLOLOL

Their tax rate is probably higher than 5%. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post