SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ouch is an understatement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ouch is an understatement Login/Join 
posted
Man has this been a week from hell. I've been shoveling and moving concrete debris by hand all week, almost 100 cubic yards worth. Today was the end of my week. Sore is the understatement of the damn century. We can't get a machine in to scoop the shit so I am the one hauling it out one 100lb chunk at a time.
My shoulders are screaming at me and to top it off towards the end of the day I stepped on a chunk of concrete that gave out under my foot and tweaked my knee. Not enough to see a doctor but enough to be painful.
A three day diet of Motrin in the morning and vodka at night with a bunch of food is in store.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had done that job I wouldn't hurt at all because I'd be dead. The job wouldn't be finished either. 100 cubic yards is a boat load of concrete.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Just in case anybody needs an illustration of what a 100 cu/yd looks like. Yow!!!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That's what they make day laborers for. Don't do that to your body.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

I have always maintained that no matter the job I will work alongside my crew even though I may be in charge. I may be in pain, less today than yesterday, but I have my pride and the respect of my crew.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh man, how right you are. I had a brief period where I was severely underemployed (15 hour weeks at a very low wage.) I day labored so I could both eat and keep a roof over my head. Since I was working part time and couldn't always stay late I got some of the crappier assignments. One week that was my job. They cut out big chunks of slab floor to lay utilities, my job was to carry those chunks off to the dumpster, 50 and 100 lbs at a time.

None of the jobs I had while I was day laboring were much fun, but that week was the worst of them and I earned my $6.00 an hour.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
quote:

I have always maintained that no matter the job I will work alongside my crew even though I may be in charge. I may be in pain, less today than yesterday, but I have my pride and the respect of my crew.

I can respect that, but Lions are at the top of the food chain for a reason. And so are bosses and owners. I provide the pay check, you do the work.

That's straight up day labor work. Hire two undocumented workers and be done with it.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
quote:

I can respect that, but Lions are at the top of the food chain for a reason. And so are bosses and owners. I provide the pay check, you do the work.

That's straight up day labor work. Hire two undocumented workers and be done with it.

Just to be clear. I was in no way advocating use of illegal labor to get the work completed. Here there are several companies that will provide day labors legally. When we hire them they know how to work and are legal. I get a report card to fill out on him when I fill out his time slip. Those that don't work hard will get weeded out if they get more "Poor"s on their report card than "Excellent"s.

I understand the desire to be "one of the guys", but you are going to cause yourself a world of hurt later in life. Trust me I know from experience and I'm young. I hurt every day, I can't imagine what I will feel like by the time I retire. Don't let your pride injure you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
quote:

I understand the desire to be "one of the guys", but you are going to cause yourself a world of hurt later in life. Trust me I know from experience and I'm young. I hurt every day, I can't imagine what I will feel like by the time I retire. Don't let your pride injure you.

Yes and no. I'm the same way with my guys. I'm not always in the plant as I have other things to do but there are times I'm right beside them.
Yes, it's taken its toll on me and at almost 50, I feel it somedays.
My Grandfather started the company and he did the same thing. Then my Dad took over and he did the same thing. My turn I guess.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I removed 8 8'x8' sections of exposed aggregate patio from behind my house. I hade a f150 & a big trailer. One of the trips busted a set of brake pads. I know about 20% of your pain. Maybe a little more cause I had a full time job at the time. But bustin all that shit up by hand was a pita. But at least it was my shit to bust up.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like more work than I have been doing.
Had a tree or two blow down during the 50-60 mph winds we had a couple weeks ago. Been cutting them up and loading them up and then unloading and stacking in wood shed.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post