SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thanks for the reminder on why I dont play PC games anymore!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks for the reminder on why I dont play PC games anymore! Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I gave up on PC games about 15 years ago, just tired of spending hours screwing with drivers, etc and a lot of money every 6 months on new equipment just to play a game. I went console, and have been happy since. There is a game I have wanted to play for a while, and I recently got a new PC so I figured I was ahead of the technology for once. Download kept failing, got with tech support and fucked around for 30 minutes before I just stopped and said forget it. If its this much pain in the ass just to download the fucking thing, I don't need to play it.

Now I remember why I quit PC gaming. Consoles may need some updating but you put in a disc and it just works, and its not like there are more bugs on a console than PC....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have avoided all of those issues.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I admit I have been out of computers for a long time and I am no longer knowledgeable about the tech, but even tech support was trying to figure it out.

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Precisely the reasons I bailed out on PC gaming. Console costs you $300 or so every 6-10 years. PC components, especially gfx cards seem to need replacing every couple years unless you get the latest and greatest and some of those stupid things are in excess of $1k.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If the game you're playing is older than dirt, obviously the PC isn't going to be able to play it. And since you're using this as a way of upholding consoles as a better way to game, consider the fact that the Playstation 4 isn't able to play games released on previous consoles.

*Diehard PC gamer.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^True, but most people still have their old consoles. My kids still occasionally play games on an original xBox that sits next to their xBox One.

I don't have much time to play games anymore, but when I do, it is always Diablo II. I'm like a gamer's museum. I don't have the time or patience to learn anything new. I go to the closet, get out a couple of snowball iMac G4s and a Powerbook, and set up a Diablo II group. It's funny how my younger kids love joining in the retro games I still play.

Now I'm off to play Dig Dug in a Flash window. Smile

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I almost never bother playing old games. If I get the urge there's an incredible number of games from all generations of PlayStation available on PSN.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
I was laughing with my 22 year old today about this thread. All I can say is you never spent enough money. Amateurs....

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMG! THIS many people care about video gaming? I AM old! I played Mario 3 with my kids, and killed the what ya ma call it at the end and rescued the Princess. Then my kids grew up. I have some Beanie Babies left over though.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I went console for similar reasons and love it so much better.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PC was always flight sims and that was about it. Console for FPS and racing. Never got the shooting with a mouse. Lately, I would just as soon watch a movie so I can unwind without thinking. Consoles are just collecting dust.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I may have to get a keyboard mouse set up for a console. I grew up using them for years. Cant get used to the controller for consoles.

I would still play computer games for the PC but they seem to be going extinct!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
OMG! THIS many people care about video gaming? I AM old! I played Mario 3 with my kids, and killed the what ya ma call it at the end and rescued the Princess. Then my kids grew up. I have some Beanie Babies left over though.

Dude, it's a multi billion dollar industry....

TV sucks, I'd rather play a game

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
If the game you're playing is older than dirt, obviously the PC isn't going to be able to play it. And since you're using this as a way of upholding consoles as a better way to game, consider the fact that the Playstation 4 isn't able to play games released on previous consoles.

*Diehard PC gamer.

Ok, but consider as you posted if you want to play an old game on PC or a game with a shut down server your out of luck. I just turn on anything from my old Atari 2600 to my xbox one or PS4 and away I go. I was just playing Twisted Metal and Street Fighter 2 on PS1 with my son, just turn on and go. No downloads, no drivers, no tech support, 20 year old games fully functional in seconds. This wasnt an old game, maybe a couple years, but it still has current DLC so it's still very much an active MMORPG

I was a PC gamer for a long time, back in the stone age of 4 color graphics cards, floppy disks, and Electronics Boutique and Babbages. For many years i was always on that bleeding edge of tech and upgrading all the time. For those who enjoy the tech and building a rig, more power to you, enjoy. It's just not for me anymore.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I PC gamed from the mid 80s all the way through maybe 2005, and don't miss is at all.

Console all the way, with a Controller please. Oh how I detest using a KB/Mouse combo.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still sticking with PC games, but I work in IT and the tech is familiar. Most games are from Steam, so issues from the 1990s with graphics card issues and such are largely gone. There are a ton of games available at good prices and I enjoy a mouse, headset, keyboard, and/or game controller.

Building a gaming PC every five to eight years or isn't hard but it's not for everyone. Every three for four years I'll upgrade a graphics card and the system is set for a few more years of life.

Posts: 2367 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's a Politically Correct game?

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
I'm with bryan11. Built my last rig over 8 years ago, upgraded the video card about three years ago and added an SSD. I use Steam almost exclusively, so drivers and compatibility problems are a thing of the past. I still am using my 9-year old monitor running at 1680x1050, so I can run even the latest and greatest games with no sweat.

However, the only time I do online gaming is co-op stuff with one or two friends. So 90% is single-player offline stuff.

I do have an XBOX One hooked up to the big TV in the living room so I can get my Forza on.

I enjoy both types of gaming, and each have their strengths and weaknesses. But if I had to have only one for the rest of my life, I'd keep my PC.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
PC all the way for me. I really hate the controllers the consoles use, plus, unless the PC version is ported over from a console, the PC version is much better.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post