SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    School board just banned eclipse viewing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School board just banned eclipse viewing Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Can somebody please explain why it's so darn dangerous to look at an eclipse? I look at the sun every day. Is there something extra UV-y about an eclipse that makes it extra dangerous?

Kind of. With an eclipse you get all the UV, but much less visible light. So your pupils stay dilated.

As I understand it, it's not dangerous to glance at a solar eclipse. It's staring at it that can damage your eyes--perhaps even blind you.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
My oldest is in first grade. His school is all kindergarten and first graders. They had a viewing party, and invited parents to come up to help with the kids.

They also don't expel children for pointing their fingers like guns during recess. Apparently I have found myself a rare public school which is a no snowflake zone. Big Grin

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My 2 boys are in Kindergarten & 1st grade, started last Thursday. On Friday we received an email stating the school had purchased glasses for fourth and fifth grade. They didn't want the younger kids to look without the glasses so they would watch a live stream inside. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

I work from home, so I took my lunch time and signed my kids of out school. We sat in the parking lot and watched it. I explained to them that the moon orbits the Earth, and the Earth orbits the sun, etc...

They have a small questionnaire to answer to get a cub scout "2017 Eclipse" merit patch. My boys will fill it out tonight. We talked about the questions on it.

http://www.scouting.org/eclipse2017.aspx

I wasn't the only parent who signed a kid out, and the principal is on-board with it. Our elementary school is definitely not snowflake zone either!

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Very cool. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post