SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    School board just banned eclipse viewing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

School board just banned eclipse viewing Login/Join 
posted
No questions asked. No waivers. No nothing. This decision was made because somebody not following instructions might get hurt.

Well, if that's the criteria we're using, we need to get rid of all the athletic programs, and we probably ought to stop bussing kids anywhere. Maybe we should just turn ourselves into a virtual school system.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The private school my kids go to decided to let out early instead of taking the risk of having someone's eyes getting damaged.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Natchez, MS schools apparently took this a step further and called off school that day to avoid being responsible for any injuries.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Natchez, MS schools apparently took this a step further and called off school that day to avoid being responsible for any injuries.

They aren't the only district to do so in the US

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
The private school my kids go to decided to let out early instead of taking the risk of having someone's eyes getting damaged.

Well, I'm sure they did it to avoid the risk of someone's eyes getting damaged *on school time.*

Can somebody please explain why it's so darn dangerous to look at an eclipse? I look at the sun every day. Is there something extra UV-y about an eclipse that makes it extra dangerous?

I've never heard about anybody being injured by looking at an eclipse (I witnessed one in the 1980s while in High School - we were in shop class, so we just looked right at it with our welders' masks).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We were originally going to take my 6 year old out of school, and travel a bit south (about 30 miles) to get closer to the center line. Even though where we were planning to go was off the beaten path, there are only 3 ways in and out.

Since our government is worried about the influx of people and the traffic problems it will cause (we will soon see how accurate they are) we decided to stay home. Since we were staying home, he decided he would rather go to school with his friends.

We are now volunteering at the school to help with all of the kids. They are providing glasses, and are letting all classes go outside to watch.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can somebody please explain why it's so darn dangerous to look at an eclipse?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...g-sun-telescope.html

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Can somebody please explain why it's so darn dangerous to look at an eclipse? I look at the sun every day. Is there something extra UV-y about an eclipse that makes it extra dangerous?

It's still dangerous (not higher UV, but non-zero) and not optically bright enough to make you turn away. So you keep looking and get damage but no physical sensation telling you to stop.

This is re: naked-eye viewing. Looking at it through telescope optics like that video ....shudder.... just no.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My kids' school is letting them out early, mostly because the normal dismissal time is during the event and they want to avoid the stand still that's sure to happen. The school bought glasses for each student, unfortunately what showed up wasn't what was advertised. Amazon will be refunding a bunch of money.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I just find it odd that so many schools are in session now. Around these parts it's still summer vacation. The kids don't go back for another couple weeks.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Like 1978 all over again.

We weren't allowed to in high school either.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep them home that day.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I just find it odd that so many schools are in session now. Around these parts it's still summer vacation. The kids don't go back for another couple weeks.

Used to be law in Virginia that school didn't start until after labor day.

Kings Dominion Law

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

Monday will start the fourth week that our kids have been in school. It seems odd when they start so early but they get several breaks around here though the year and that allows us to take family vacations during slow seasons for tourist locations so I prefer this schedule.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember I was a kid and teachers telling us to not look at the sun directly.

Guess what I did repeatedly for pretty long periods of time.

The sun looked like a bright yellow disc to me and I do remember seeing static "spots" on its surface.

I can't connect what I did to any harm I may have suffered from looking at the sun straight on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Kids started school on Wednesday!

Just got emails from school canceling outdoor activities then school completely on Monday.

Works for me. After school on Friday I popped the kids in the car and we drove to Fort Bragg to visit their big brother. Already told the school that they won't be back till Wednesday. Tomorrow we're watching the eclipse then driving back to Ohio.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

Monday will start the fourth week that our kids have been in school. It seems odd when they start so early but they get several breaks around here though the year and that allows us to take family vacations during slow seasons for tourist locations so I prefer this schedule.

Yeah, lots of year-round schools here. My kids' school starts in the middle of July and runs through the first week or two of June. But they get 3 weeks off after every quarter. It has its positive and negative aspects. It does make vacationing during off peak tourist times easier, however there are some things that only happen during the summer that we don't get to do.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

If I top admin, then I would do the same.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:

Well, I'm sure they did it to avoid the risk of someone's eyes getting damaged *on school time.*

I've never heard about anybody being injured by looking at an eclipse (I witnessed one in the 1980s while in High School - we were in shop class, so we just looked right at it with our welders' masks).

I don't think it's all that dangerous to look at the eclipse, like how it's not that dangerous to look at the Sun itself, certainly it's not good for you, but for the most part it's like whatever. The trouble is the mouthbreathers will stand there staring at the eclipse. That might cause some issues.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Snowflake Damage Prevention

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post