SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    NIGHT SIGHTS QUESTION
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NIGHT SIGHTS QUESTION Login/Join 
posted
I have a recently purchased handgun I intend to use for Summer Carry. It was advertised as LE Model (Limited Edition), & was supposed to have NIGHT SIGHTS.
It does not have Tritium Sights.
It has Phosphur Sights. The manufacturer claims these are better than Tritium -type sights and Will LAST MUCH LONGER.
I'm no expert , but IMHO I would not consider Phosphur sights to be True Night Sights (more like Bright Sights).
I'd appreciate any input from fellow members ; Are Phosphur Sights actually Night Sights ?
Thanks---bahs11

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
First, calm down, no need to yell, second you may want to ask admin to move to pistol section.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, technically Phosphor sights are "Night Sights" in the sense that they can bee seen in the dark.

But the term has almost been used exlusivly to describe Tritium type sights.

Manufacturer and Model number might help ditirmine if you were misinformed, mislead or misunderstood.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Walther, CZ and HK spring to mind as makes of certain models of guns that come with the Glow In The Dark sights.

If you are buying online you have to be very careful to either know the exact model number or read the fine print so to speak, although even then some dealers will still call them night sights.

My guess is we are talking about the PPS M2 as I believe they have a LE(usually law enforcement)edition with 3 mags and GITD sights.

Some of this may have to do with how European nations view radioactive substances.

But basically it's a buyer beware kind of thing and you need to really be educated on the model and it's variants.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I agree: If it’s possible to see them in the dark, they’re night sights.

It seems as if the type that must be “charged” with light to work is becoming more common, and I would be very annoyed if I’d expected them to be tritium based. My “house” gun is almost never exposed to the light, and if I ever need it, it will probably be when it’s dark. The other type may be fine, or even better, for some people, but it should be clear what the purchaser is getting when the most common night sights are still powered by tritium.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses.
I'm really not yelling , the 'Caps' are in regard to messages between me and the gun tech from WALTHER (CSLINGER-YOU ARE 1 SMART DUDE).
Actually you all are.
I understand it , but I don't have to like it.
I did think I was getting Tritium Sights .
I do not usually order any firearm with Night Sights (other than 2 SIGS) as they will not be what I'd prefer ( XS Big Dot).
----Hey I'm an older gent , pushing 70 hard , and need all the help I can get.
Again , Thanks gunslingers for your polite and informative answers....Have a Good Night !
Forgot to Add: The gun is a WALTHER PPS M2 9mm----The Walther Tech asked for numbers from the guncase & then told me I did indeed get the LE version with Night Sights (just not Tritium).

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has Phosphur [sic] Sights.

A true night sight uses tritium gas to glow from within. These sound like something you have to leave exposed to light for X amount of time, then they will glow in the dark for a little while. CZ uses these on many of their handguns. The problem is that your sights, especially the front which is covered by a holster, don't get this prior light exposure when carried concealed.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
egregore
You are absolutely correct.
I'm not happy , but will accept them.
Thanks for your thoughts...

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth those types of sights really do work well in normal shooting conditions and if you really don't like them getting a set of real nights doesn't have to be super costly.

The PPS and the PPS M2 are awesome guns. Enjoy.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
If they need light exposure in order to glow, I would be replacing those with actual tritium night sights.

This can be done yourself or you can send your slide to a number of sources to have it done.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post