SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Get Your Head Out Of Your Phone And Pay Attention To What You're Doing!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Get Your Head Out Of Your Phone And Pay Attention To What You're Doing! Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
No more Mr. Nice Guy, here. I will not tolerate one more imbecile ambling along in a traffic aisle of the parking lot, moving at a snail's pace, all attention focused on the phone, totally oblivious to anything else.

You will receive the benefit of a full prolonged blast of my horn as I slow almost to a full stop immediately behind you. No polite little "beep," in keeping with my decreasing ability to tolerate crap.

I truly believe that cell phones are by far, the number one instrument of inconsiderate behavior today.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In many states that is against the law. In one of the nicer Chicago suburbs they had a cop in street clothes watching for people texting and talking on their phones. The tickets were over a hundred bucks. The village made some easy money. I guess Florida still allows this unsafe practice.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pima county in Arizona signed into law a handheld Cellphone while driving ban on June 1, this year with a 60 day "grace period" during which time Police would hand out just a warning.

In most of the county, it's a primary offense thus a hefty ticket but in Tucson the "snowflakes" insisted on a "secondary offense" ticket which makes it nearly unenforceable.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I have a "smart phone" and use it daily, but I also totally despise the things for exactly the reasons you cited, V-Tail!!!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4577 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
a full prolonged blast of my horn

Train horn?

Deservedly so.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
In many states that is against the law. In one of the nicer Chicago suburbs they had a cop in street clothes watching for people texting and talking on their phones. The tickets were over a hundred bucks. The village made some easy money. I guess Florida still allows this unsafe practice.
I'm pretty sure that Florida law prohibits texting while driving. I'm talking about people walking -- well, what they're doing is not really walking, but whatever it is, they are on their own two feet. Totally unaware of anything except the world that exists in the phone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I recently saw here in another thread the phone referred to as the "head down display".

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm pretty sure that Florida law prohibits texting while driving. I'm talking about people walking -- well, what they're doing is not really walking, but whatever it is, they are on their own two feet. Totally unaware of anything except the world that exists in the phone.

In the major metro areas, the local thugs have perfected the head slap from behind and can almost catch the phone in midair.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I so badly want a train horn.

I have on dash cam video of me blasting an inconsiderate cow stuffing her face through a green light.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suburban. Push bumper. Bad brakes. Problem solved.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Thank me later....

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-0...racket/dp/B000CRZXPI

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Thank me later....

I've been thinking about a different horn for the truck and had been leaning towards an air horn, but this one might just be the ticket!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank me later....

Do you have those? Are they really, REALLY, loud? Worth buying?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Here's more good news..............apparently the new iPhone will allow one to text and talk at the same time.

Prizes will be awarded to those demonstrating the ability to also chew gum and walk while texting and talking.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Thank me later....

Do you have those? Are they really, REALLY, loud? Worth buying?

I've used quite a few Hella products over the years and if anything I have found their claims understated. They have very good products.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There was an attempt to make a texting app that utilized video from the phone's camera so the texter could see where he/she was walking while also texting. It never caught on.

There are a lot of people who can't seem to multitask while using their cellphone. I make a habit of holding my phone up so I can watch where I'm walking and always look around when I come to an intersection.

I had the strange fortune of walking several blocks behind a guy who obviously gave zero fucks about distracted walkers. He was a husky guy but smaller than me. He wouldn't deviate from his course and would shoulder check men and women who weren't getting out of his way. It was strangely satisfying to watch and, needless to say, I had a much easier time of walking with him bulldozing his way through crowds in front of me.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Humans cannot generally multi task. This is a fallacy. Texting and walking safely just do not go together. Granted some people are better at these things than others. They have superior motor skills and drive for NASCAR.

Criminals use distraction all the time to take advantage. Situational awareness is greatly diminished. Besides too much texting leads to cervical issues down the line.

Picture of billr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank me later....

I had those on my Tacoma. They are LOUD. Well worth it.

--
When you rest your steak and your whiskey upon the table you have made, you feel pretty goddamn tall for keeping those treats off the ground.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Arizona | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1771 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brazilians have it down to a science. Easy pickings.