SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How To Breed Disrespect For The Law And Those Who Enforce It
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Breed Disrespect For The Law And Those Who Enforce It Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:

I never seen or met any of these garden variety cops you refer to. There seems to be about enough name calling, insulting and blame gaming toward LE lately, isn't there. I have seen LE enforcing traffic laws when we make honest mistakes or just plain ignore rules of the roads. You aint helping the OPs cause any by your comments. Sure, some areas we operate a vehicle in are tricky. I doubt its to trap us. Either way you go OP, do it level headed and respectful. Stuff happens. Best of luck.

They're called REVENUERS and they are everywhere. Don't believe me, take a drive around someplace unfamiliar to you...you'll find out quick enough Wink

Edited to correct formatting issues.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eclayton:
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I never seen or met any of these garden variety cops you refer to. There seems to be about enough name calling, insulting and blame gaming toward LE lately, isn't there. I have seen LE enforcing traffic laws when we make honest mistakes or just plain ignore rules of the roads. You aint helping the OPs cause any by your comments. Sure, some areas we operate a vehicle in are tricky. I doubt its to trap us. Either way you go OP, do it level headed and respectful. Stuff happens. Best of luck.

Speed traps exist, they are often well known, held in high favor by local officials, and unrelated to safety considerations. The one in the small town where I grew up was referred to by locals as “The Speed Trap;” it was well known to anyone of driving age. You could give someone directions to your house using it as a landmark, i.e., “turn left just before you get to the Speed Trap.” If you were from out of town, you had just about zero chance of entering that stretch as the legally posted speed, unless you were fortunate to be stuck behind a local who saw it coming and slowed down for both of you. And it was manned 24/7 by a well-concealed officer with a radar gun. The town council could have fixed at any time the confusing conditions that led to so many traffic infractions at that site; the fact that they didn’t, but instead gave it dedicated stake-out coverage from their tiny 10-man police force, tells me that they enjoyed the revenue it produced, without the discomfort of having to tax their own residents who elected them.

That was one of several such traps I’ve known as a local resident over the years, and I’ve fallen into several more as the hapless outsider. If there is blame to assign, I place it on local officials, not the police per se, but then again they know they are part of running a racket.

However, I do agree with you in recommending the OP approach the process in a level-headed manner and I also wish him luck.

There's one of those east of here on US Highway 85, in a town called Nunn, where the limit drops from 65 to either 35 or 45, can't remember. The local fuzz there will literally pull you over for doing 1 mph over 1 foot past the sign. They're worse than the damn troopers in this state.

For the record, I'm not against law enforcement - several close friends are cops, and I'm planning on getting into the field after I finish school. This type of shit, though, is unforgivable on both a personal and an institutional level.

Good luck to the OP. Give 'em hell.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eclayton:
Speed traps exist, they are often well known, held in high favor by local officials, and unrelated to safety considerations. The one in the small town where I grew up was referred to by locals as “The Speed Trap;” it was well known to anyone of driving age.

I used to use the term. After marrying a LEO, I learned to refer to them as "Enforcement Details". Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Document the shit out of the current location of the sign, before they find out that you intend to fight it and decide to move it. You don't want to show up in court only to have them say "What do you mean, you couldn't see it? It's right there in front of you! Guilty!"

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post