SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Dyson Airblade is a fine invention, however...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dyson Airblade is a fine invention, however... Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I can’t get my damn mitts into and out of one without touching the edges that are wet with everyone’s fresh drippin’s, try as I might. I’m not Andre The Giant, I’ve shaken hands with guys where I swore it was a brick, not a hand that I grasped, but I’ve got big hands and beef wrists. A sizeable portion of the population can’t effectively use these things. Couldn’t the openings for the hands be just a bit larger?

In concept, they’re fantastic, but in execution, they fall just at least a few inches short. This isn’t a huge deal in restrooms here they have paper towels as an alternative option, but some places like my Costco only have the Airblade that’s been soaked by everyone who’s been in the bathroom at Costco, and well, that’s likely a number and demographic range I don’t want to contemplate sharing fresh drippin’s with.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I hate the things for the same reasons you do.
Plus, most public bathrooms are built wrong and you have to pull the door open to leave. No paper towels, grab that handle with your newly washed hands and hope that the E. coli on it is already dead.

Then there's this, Jet air and warm air dryers result in increased bacterial aerosolization when drying hands.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, lack of paper towel to open the door with is something I meant to mention. I hadn’t even thought of that last bitnyou linked. I’m no germophobe, but a few extra precautions I would like to take seem to be increasingly taken away as options and I’m not a fan.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
There’s a more traditional style of hand dryer that heats quickly and blows hard that I prefer to the Airblade, but they’re not trendy and thus aren’t as popular.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I like those also, but only recently, I realized they’re loud as shit. My four year old son won’t use them because they hurt his ears. It was an issue a few weeks ago when I fired one up and he put his wet hands over his ears and there were no paper towels. I guess wet hands are better than hearing damage.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I hate using bathrooms with no paper towels. Those dryers are gross.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Agree, they're gross and don't get your hands completely dry, then you have to go touch the door - ick. Restroom doors should open OUT, not in. Or at least have the foot pull on the bottom (seen this a few times and loved it, but pretty rare).

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I hate using bathrooms with no paper towels. Those dryers are gross.

Those dryers are also a health hazard: Hand Dryers Spread Bacteria So Dramatically That Scientists Think They're A Public Health Threat

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
No doors at our Costco bathrooms, they have the blade, works fine, don't find it that loud.

As to the bacteria fear mongering, it appears that the picture that started it all was achieved by a biology student and not a controlled proper study, basically social media incited fear, typical, post an image and see if you can go viral (pun intended)

The Dyson blades have HEPA filters, interesting enough is the following from a report on the dryers vs paper towels..

From the article in the NYT

Link

A similar study in 2014, using a bacterium instead of a virus, found that jet air dryers spread 4.5 times as much bacteria as warm air dryers, and 27 times as much as paper towels — but the study was funded by a trade association for paper manufacturers.

Another study published in 2010 found that jet air dryers resulted in fewer bacteria on the hands than warm air dryers — but it was funded by Dyson.

One of the few independently funded studies on the subject, published by the Mayo Clinic in 2000, found no statistically significant hygienic difference between dryers and paper towels.

So it appears the product that creates the most danger depends on who's doing the study... Big Grin

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
No doors at our Costco bathrooms, they have the blade, works fine, don't find it that loud.

Just to be clear, I was talking about the older style with the downward jet and heater coils inside when I was talking about the loud ones. I imagine being just below the level of them at 45" tall makes them that much louder.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
They do a good job of warming your underbits.

Wait - that's not what they're for?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
As to the bacteria fear mongering, it appears that the picture that started it all was achieved by a biology student and not a controlled proper study, basically social media incited fear, typical, post an image and see if you can go viral (pun intended)

No, it wasn't: Environmental contamination by bacteria in hospital washrooms according to hand-drying method: a multi-centre study

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
The solution is easy. Don't wash your hands.

Give your immune system something to do. It's good for you!

Wink

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Solution:

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I try to make sure I bring my own paper towel if I know they don't have any.

And I didn't need a study to know those fans just concentrate bacteria, feces particles, and other shit onto your hands.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Wink

Like I said, I've got a four year old. My immune system has been, and continues to get quite a workout. Wink

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Solution:

Xlerator.jpg

Those are the hand dryers I posted that I like but couldn't think of the brand.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
True story. I was in a pizza joint that used a wood fired pizza oven. Xcelerator hand dryer got its hot air from the heat from the oven. Only public restroom I've ever been that smelled good.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Wink

Like I said, I've got a four year old. My immune system has been, and continues to get quite a workout. Wink

Wait until he gets to school and brings all that crap home! Eek Big Grin

You'll be sick continuously for several years. I don't miss those days.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Daycare, my man. We get the plague quarterly. Wink

Johnny, that actually sounds quite pleasant.