SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Things that make you say "Dang, I'm old".
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things that make you say "Dang, I'm old". Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
On a motorcycle board I hang out on, a guy was doing some home-brew research on problems associated with modern digital electronics on older bikes with pre-digital electrical systems/alternators/regulators, the main problem being voltage spikes killing sensitive digital stuff.

So anyway, he posted some pictures of his methodology. For the non-techie types, an oscilloscope is an electronic device that lets you "see" electricity and capture snapshots of very short duration events like, say...well...voltage spikes.

In the early 70's, when I was a bench tech, this was a pretty standard o-scope. Tektronix 535, weighed around 50 pounds, came with it's own little cart to roll it around on.

This is what he was using.

Jesus, I'm old...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And worse yet, all those books on the shelves behind the Tektronix will likely fit in a cellphone’s local memory!

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
And worse yet, all those books on the shelves behind the Tektronix will likely fit in a cellphone’s local memory!

And be keyword searchable instead of leafing through 40 pounds of paper trying to find what you're looking for!

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I am at Panera Bread grabbing a bite to eat. I look over at a table and there are 7 college age kids that just started to eat. All of them had their faces buried in their phones. My wife and I did not hear them say one word to each other during the entire meal until they got up to leave.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The digital doodad works great for desired voltage output, but not as likely to read measured output when the circuit is properly loaded. I'll choose an old fashioned d'Arsonval over a pack of numbers that erratically fluctuate any day.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
When you are hiring guys who were born after you graduated high school....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Similar to one of the reasons I decided it was time for me to retire from the Navy: Fully half of the kids working for me hadn't been BORN when I enlisted...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
The digital doodad works great for desired voltage output, but not as likely to read measured output when the circuit is properly loaded. I'll choose an old fashioned d'Arsonval over a pack of numbers that erratically fluctuate any day.

Yup, I'd imagine they're fine for basic troubleshooting, but when you're working with short duration, high frequency signals and trying to capture ONE specific pulse, I suspect they may come up a bit short...

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
So I am at Panera Bread grabbing a bite to eat. I look over at a table and there are 7 college age kids that just started to eat. All of them had their faces buried in their phones. My wife and I did not hear them say one word to each other during the entire meal until they got up to leave.

And very likely texting the person sitting next to them...

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I work with mostly 20somethings now and some of the things that come up really highlight the age difference (I’m about to hit 47). One of them was having car trouble and from the description it sounded like a starter that had seized up. I told him to have someone tap it with a hammer while trying to start the car. They laughed. One of the only other guys my age told them I was serious. There were plenty of jokes about “that must be how y’all worked on them Flintstones cars when you were young.” Guess they got desperate cause the next day the guy tried it and it worked....

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The average new-hire was 2 years old when the movie Office Space came out. They work in Corporate America, but don't get any references to the funniest work movie ever.

Another one, it's been this way for a few years now and for the rest of my life almost every college grad was born after I graduated college.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you are busting a co workers chops about having college co-op groupies.
When he reminds you he is closer to their age than yours, and then reminds you, he is closer to my daughters age than mine

Posts: 1038 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you make a movie or tv show reference to your 55 yr old neighbor, and he never heard of it.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look on the bright side. When you were young you actually met women and maybe slept with some. The kids text them and get naked lady pics.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

We just hired one who was born three years after I finished grad school. He's really sharp and I'm glad to have him as part of my crew, but some days he does make me feel pretty old.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 34 so I don't think I'm old but at my last job I was one of the youngest in my department. Now I'm one of the oldest. Half of the install crew I work with is 24 and while ten years isn't as big a gap as some of you guys mention, it does get in my head here and there.

It also makes me feel bad for making age jokes at my last job. haha

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

About the old couple oogling them

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Big Grin

About the old couple oogling them

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
When they do not know who the hell Eric Clapton is, or they really do not know what Paul McCartney did to be so famous.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the old couple oogling them[/QUOTE]

Oogling? They were sitting right next to us. Hard not to notice. I think I have a fairly thick skin, but that seems a little harsh. I don't oogle.

Posts: 1042 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post