SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Steel Challenge target painters who don't turn the nozzle toward the little black dot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel Challenge target painters who don't turn the nozzle toward the little black dot Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
How lazy and inconsiderate! Mad

I mean, come on, that little black dot on the white paint spray can is there for a reason, right?

( Ummm, what IS the reason?)

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
What does this mean?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Get Bendable, he can translate!

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
You like money too? We should hang out.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you saying you didn't check and sprayed yourself in the face?

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
See, I usually look to see where the nozzle is pointing before spraying. All kinds of stuff comes in those cans besides paint, and they're not marked.

So what did you end up painting, if not the target? Razz

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No, I am wondering what the dot is for.

Nismo's diagram suggests that it orients the straw with the direction you're likely to tilt the can, so you can get the last of the paint out.

Seems logical.

Here, I found this:

https://boards.straightdope.co...wthread.php?t=473282

And, its useful info ... seems like every match day, we end up with three or four 'empty' cans of paint at each stage and have to run back to the shed for just one more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, cool. Learn something new every day. Smile

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Ahhh, cool. Learn something new every day. Smile

Indeed, neat.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to sound like an arrogant ass or anything, but I thought EVERYBODY knew what that dot was for! Now I just learned something new....

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
each can has X amount of paint and X amount of propellant .

When four people use the paint can , some do orient the nozzle with the dot correctly and others do not.

by using the can incorrectly , (inefficiently )

the propellant will always come out but not as much paint will exit the container,

in the end, you end up using all the propellant and only a portion of the paint.
ergo wasted money/paint.

please take the time to visually inspect the dot to nozzle orientation , paint ain't cheap

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I never thought I'd ever say this. Bendable, thank you for making this thread make sense.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Jesse- that was funny.

And, today I learned. Never in a million googles would I have thought to search why the dot is on the paint can. Love this place.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I never thought I'd ever say this. Bendable, thank you for making this thread make sense.

Haha, now that’s funny right there.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Huh! Well wha-da-ya-know. Lived this long and never learned about spray cans.

Then again, I just had an endoscopy to check why I was having a little trouble swallowing food. In the operating room, the Gastro doc says, "would you like me to stretch your esophagus? (The doc is a female, so I didn't take it the wrong way.)

Who knew they could do that? And it worked! Food just slides down again, pills don't get stuck any more.

The point was supposed to be that indeed, I continue to learn new stuff every day. Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Can’t say that I ever even noticed a dot on the spray can.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post