SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Monday I pick my car up from the body shop, Weds somebody hits it again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday I pick my car up from the body shop, Weds somebody hits it again Login/Join 
posted
I had my car in the body shop for a solid week being repainted and repaired due to damage from a hit and run. Repair was something like 1100 and I had to pay the deductible. Fine, life goes on.

Weds at work I walk up to the car after work...the front bumper is all scuffed up! Some black paint and chips of my car's paint missing.

Two fucking days and somebody hits it again.

I could use some good suggestions for a front and rear dash cam that's easy to use.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I went through much the same thing when I lived in Houston in the 1980s. After the damage from the second accident was repaired I sold my nice newish car and started driving a jalopy. Hardly anybody runs into a hooptie.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ex-wife & her two teenage sons kept a bay reserved in my Tax Clients body shop!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Back when my car was new (3 months old, to be specific), some asswipe slammed into the rear quarter panel. About $1200 in damage, took a week and a half from the body shop (had to replace the back bumper, body shop ordered the wrong one and had it painted up before they noticed). A witness got the guy's plate number, and he confessed to the accident to the insurance company.

Not even 3 days after getting it back I get nailed from behind on the roadway by a lady driving on a Mexican driver's license. When asked for insurance information, she produced a bill of sale. I pulled up a translator on my phone, and when asked again about "seguro," she replied with "no." Mad

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last car dealership I worked at, at least three and maybe up to four generations of trailer trash as the one holding the baby was probably about fifteen or sixteen came to the counter wanting me to make replacement keys. All were missing, so it requires drivers license, title and current registration, name has to match on all docs, named person has to be there.

Old (my age, maybe slightly younger or maybe just a hard life) woman hands me license and title and has no registration. Title was signed and dated, no transferee name on top, dated a year and a half previous.

I hand it back to her and said these are not ownership papers and I cannot accept this title as proof of ownership. She then replies that she has to have keys for it because she cannot drive it.

I ask her how she is driving it as she does not own it or have plates on it, Michigan is a plate to owner state,not plate to vehicle state.

Silence.............

I told her she had to get it registered in her name and after that I would make keys for it. Off they went. She came back late in the day with a legit title and registration. And to add icing to the cake she had to pay for fast title service, IIRC an additional twenty bucks at specific S of S offices in Michigan.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your vehicle getting hit again.

We just got my wife's truck back after $1868 worth of repairs due to a hit and run in a parking lot about a week after she got it.
Keeping our fingers crossed that it doesn't get hit again.

Two weeks ago my several day old (at the time) Challenger had scratches on the passenger door.
Looked like a woman may have thrown a purse over her shoulder or some ass rubbed there rivet pocket jeans against it.
Fortunately those scratches pretty much rubbed out.

Both instances occurred parking way out in the parking lot away from the typical door bangers.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
these are the cameras we use: https://www.blackvue.com/

if you get the powermagic piece it records when the car is off too. Very high quality, and great picture quality.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i got this manufacturer refurb dash cam and it's been great. for $40, why not.

it has a "crash detection" mode that stays alert when parked and the car is off. on "high" sensitivity, though, it detected a crash when I'd close the door, and then recorded til the battery died. I moved it to "moderate" and it's okay now - I'm confident if someone hit me, it would start recording.

https://www.groupon.com/latest...facturer-refurbished

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
My wife picked up our car after the glass shop repaired a crack in windshield caused by a construction truck kicking up a stone. On her way home,a vehicle in front of her sent a stone into windshield, cracking it all over again. Didn't even get the car home!

We were concerned GEICO would increase our premium but they were understanding, saying "it happens."

The last 3 new cars all got windshield cracks literally within months after buying.

Lesson? Get a beater and it will go unscathed as long as you own it.

The more you care about something, specifically the more concerned you are that something might happen,the greater the odds that it will.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Well it happened again to me as well.

Challenger got another parking lot scratch across the driver's side back fender.
Parked out in never never land, no one parked anywhere nearby when leaving the car or coming back.
Wonder if it is just some sour grapes assholes who figure they will spoil someone else's day.

Might end up getting one or two of those cameras you guys mentioned.

Regards, Steve

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
I've actually seen cars parked diagonally at the mall, taking up 2 spaces in an obvious attempt to avoid dings.

This just invites some people to deliberately key the car. I park a long way from the entrance but invariably when I get back there's a vehicle parked right next to me, usually a two door with a wide door swing.

Never take a new vehicle to the mall. Ever.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never take a new vehicle to the mall

I guess malls are still surviving up north, but down south they continue to decline.

I haven't been to an actual mall in more than 5 years maybe? And even when I've gone in the past decade, the frequency has to be in the 1-2 times a year, tops.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent $2300.00 getting some bodywork and rust repair on my LaCrosse. Completely out of pocket repairs. One spot fixed was the corner of the front bumper. Needless to say, about a week later some creitin backed into the exact same spot on the bumper damaging it.

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Never take a new vehicle to the mall

I guess malls are still surviving up north, but down south they continue to decline.

Agree, as dead as most of the malls are around here they are probably one of the safest places to park.
Unless some passerby vandals decide to do their dirty-work.

Regards, Steve

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I carpooled with a couple who bought themselves a new minivan.

On the way home from the dealership, doing around 50 mph, they nailed a deer. Thousands in damage.

Insurance paid for the repairs.

On the way home from the body shop, doing around 60 mph, another deer suicides into their minivan, totaling it (airbags went off).

The damned minivan had two trips as their car, both ending in deer strikes.

They bought a Camry instead.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I carpooled with a couple who bought themselves a new minivan.

On the way home from the dealership, doing around 50 mph, they nailed a deer. Thousands in damage.

Insurance paid for the repairs.

On the way home from the body shop, doing around 60 mph, another deer suicides into their minivan, totaling it (airbags went off).

The damned minivan had two trips as their car, both ending in deer strikes.

They bought a Camry instead.

They should have sold it to a hunter for guaranteed success. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post