SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    When you walk in on your dad and he's...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you walk in on your dad and he's... Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted
He's on the phone with Bob from Microsoft and Bob needs my dad's admin password to set up a remote connection because someone from Toronto is using my dad's email address. Fortunately, only one person knows the admin password on my dad's computer because this is now the third time in three years this has happened.

This time, my dad was trying to pay a bill for a Microsoft software subscription he has. He asked me how I know he wasn't talking to Microsoft, so I asked him if he was trying to pay the power company and the power company told him they needed to take over his computer to pay the bill, would he let them? He said of course not.

The other good news is: I also bought my dad a second computer just in case something happened to the one he normally uses, so I can nuke this one.

Posts: 10825 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Good for you.

I dread the day I might fall for this kind of scam. You never know, rigth stars aligned, I'm all agog, and crap, I'm locked out of my puter with my data held hostage.

I wish there would be serious consequences for these people.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
It makes one wish they had "a special set of skills" (from the movie 'Taken') whereby one could hunt them down and "take care of them."

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
It makes one wish they had "a special set of skills" (from the movie 'Taken') whereby one could hunt them down and "take care of them."

Liam neeson may have a special set of skills, but lacks parenting skills after his family gets taken 3 times....

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I'll be buying the parents Chromebooks when I cross this bridge

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My dad spent the night with me last week. He arrived distraught that someone had hacked one of his Facebook accounts. How did he know this? He received an email, of course. Did you log in on the link in the email, Dad? Of course. Sigh. We had a very long talk about why you never click email links, etc. Went and changed all of his passwords. Again discussed how these scams work. He's all happy.

Next morning, as he's getting ready to leave, he says "Oh, by the way, your Facebook fix didn't work. Now they've locked my account." How do you know that, dad? (wait for it....)

"They emailed me this morning."

Oy.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I received an e-mail notice from Ukraine about a problem with a shipment.

So nice of them to stay on top of those things. That's great customer service.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Yesterday I received an e-mail notice from Ukraine about a problem with a shipment.

The customer service is even bette when you get a follow-up call from Amy.

Don't ask her what she's wearing. She will hang up.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
I love those calls wanting my info. As soon as I hear their voice and pick up on the accent (not hard to do), I swing into my version of their accent and tell them the carry-out is doing good, say hi to our mom and send me a bride.
I don't speak their language so I've no idea what they're screaming about...no bride's shown up yet either... Smile

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I got the 'IRS is suing you' voicemail. The poor quality of the english and unprofessional presentation was insulting. If I pick up a live call then I'll ask about the size of her bosom and advise her to buy a webcam.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the IRS call at work once saying they had a warrant for my arrest. I told them they'd never take me alive and hung up. My manager then walks over and asks if he should be locking the doors. haha

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bashman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
My dad spent the night with me last week. He arrived distraught that someone had hacked one of his Facebook accounts. How did he know this? He received an email, of course. Did you log in on the link in the email, Dad? Of course. Sigh. We had a very long talk about why you never click email links, etc. Went and changed all of his passwords. Again discussed how these scams work. He's all happy.

Next morning, as he's getting ready to leave, he says "Oh, by the way, your Facebook fix didn't work. Now they've locked my account." How do you know that, dad? (wait for it....)

Oy.

How many FB accounts does Dad have, and why does he have more than one?

A man who does not read has no appreciable advantage over the man who cannot read.

Posts: 1192 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: July 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bashman:
quote:

Oy.

How many FB accounts does Dad have, and why does he have more than one?

Well, there's the one for his family, another for his other family, and one for all the scantily clad women that for some reason or another want to friend you.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:

The customer service is even bette when you get a follow-up call from Amy.

Don't ask her what she's wearing. She will hang up.

When my dad handed me the phone and said "here you talk to him" I remembered your post about Amy and considered asking Bob what he was wearing, but I was in a hurry and just hung up.

I'm not sure Chromebooks would be any better.

Posts: 10825 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some guy called my 86 yr old Mom and talked her out of her Credit Card number . Said he was from AT&T and was going to cut her phone off for non payment . Thank God she called me within a few minutes .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^ You bring up an interesting point and several others have mentioned it. People, including my father, know on some level that something is not right or they wouldn't ask about it after the fact. Why don't they call first?

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Whenever I get an email claiming to be from someone I do business with, I hover the pointer over the from portion of the email. Why would a business be sending important info with an address of chuck@hotmail.com?

Even if it checks out. When they want me to update my profile, instead of clicking the link, I exit and sign into the site. Just to be sure.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oy.

He's hopeless. Sorry.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I get the "we need to fix your computer" calls from the guy with the Indian accent, I usually reply, "Again ?? You guy were supposed to have fixed this yesterday!" One time I let the guy go on and on and finally, I told him I wasn't interested because it was a bullshit call and hung up. The guy called me back twice trying to harass me. I just picked up the receiver and set it down until he got tired and hung up .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post