SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How old are y'all's bath towels?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old are y'all's bath towels? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
I am NOT someone that has to repaint rooms, move furniture or otherwise "refresh a space" in my house.
My ex? Different story.
Anyway, do y'all use a towel up, or buy new ones on a schedule, or what?

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am still using the one I got back in the early 1970s.

And since I'm clean after a shower, I see no sense in washing it either.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
We have a rotation schedule based on wear/fraying.

The "good" towels go in the full bath down stairs and after 2-3 years of constant washing start to fray around the edges.

When the fraying gets to an objectionable point, they are moved to the upstairs half-bath and new towels are purchased for the downstairs bath.

The towels from the upstairs bath are moved to the rag-bag in the garage. Terrycloth bath towels are excellent rags for everything from wiping greasy hands and parts to buffing out wax. (Not the same one, obviously...) I also place them over the ground steel tables on my table saw and bandsaw, as well as using them to cover other shop equipment. This keeps dust and moisture from condensation from building up and causing rust.

I haven't bought shop rags in years.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just began replacing a set that was about 5 years old. It's just me so the old set of 4 wash cloth/hand towel/bath towel didn't see a ton of use but they were getting pretty beat up in the wash. New ones are from Walmart and are made in the US, which is nice to see.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The older the better. New towels don't seem to dry. They just spread the water around.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got rid of my last Army towel. I was discharged in '81.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
The older the better. New towels don't seem to dry. They just spread the water around.

Laundry tip: DO NOT use fabric softener when washing OR drying bath towels. Leaves a coating that repels water.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of monogrammed bath towels that were my wife's before we got married 27 years ago. I use them as bath mats when she isn't around to say something about how ratty looking our bath mat is. Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I was discharged in '81.

I assume that was 1981? Just asking....

We got married in 1970. In 2 days it'll be 47 years. We got ours as wedding presents. Maybe not as bad as it sounds. We got several sets.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I think I was issued a towel and pillow at birth. I have no idea how old either are.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I keep mine until there are holes worn in them, if I can. If my wife spots them in that condition, she promptly orders me new ones. Frankly, I'd rather keep the old ones.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I buy new towels every 10ish years. The old towels get demoted to dog towels. As the dog towels unravel or otherwise fall apart, they get tossed.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Around 10 years I think

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Being a bachelor, I have one bath towel that I wash once a week. But if I forget it I don't sweat it. After all, I was clean when I dried myself off with it, having just stepped out of the shower, right? So it doesn't actually get dirty, just damp. When it starts to get crusty or stiff, then I'll wash it. How old it is, I forgot a long time ago.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
The last set I bought was a little before my last deployment to Afghanistan in '09-'10.

Horrible bath towels, for quite some time, initially. They were perpetually exuding fuzz. Even after going through the haji laundry at a couple of out lying FOBs, they still kicked out some fuzz. However, after this long fuzz phase had passed, they became the best, most durable and functional bath towels I've ever owned.

I use them to this day.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Our towels are in service the following, first the bath then the dogs and end up either as rags or in the barn. This process depending on how well the towel is made could take years. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get 5 new towels every year and at least four of the old ones go in to the rag bag.
thats about as "luxury" as my life gets, these days

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
We just retired some towels that are about 14 or 15 years old. The rest are still going strong after about 12 years.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a set of towels as a graduation gift from high school in '01. They are still in regular use. My wife bought some towels when she moved out on her own around the same time and we still use some.

About the only time we buy a new towel is if we have to throw one out for being stained or ruined in some way. Haven't lost a towel due to fraying/normal use as of yet.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have several really high quality towels at least 9 years old (the person who bought them died 9 years ago). Still look great, do the job, and don't leave fibers on my face.

My employer moves me every couple years and my last few moves have been very long distance: Texas to Alaska, Alaska to Calgary, and Calgary to Texas. I usually save money by camping out at my new place until my stuff arrives which means buying towels. No matter the amount of money spent, the towels have all shed fibers all over my face.

As far as towels not absorbing water, Sigforum solved that for me 5+ years ago. Fabric softener was essentially making my towels waterproof, and someone posted about replacing fabric softener with vinegar. My clothes are soft, there is zero vinegar scent, and my towels actually absorb water. The bonus is that it's dirt cheap too as the cost of a gallon of vinegar is way less than a gallon of fabric softener.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post