SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    On the long list of things that aggravate this cranky old man
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the long list of things that aggravate this cranky old man Login/Join 
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
12 years ago I decided I was going to buy an Electra Glide. Went to the dealership and brought my son and daughter with me. We were the only people there. The two salesmen were more interested in chatting with each other near the clothing department. I stood by one of the bikes for what seemed like an eternity and no response. Now if I am a motorcycle salesman and I saw a middle aged man with two children walk in what does that tell me? Cha Ching! Maybe I wasn't dressed appropriately. No leather vest, goatees, and pony tails like the salesman. After I time I left.

My wife called me and asked to see the bike. I told her what happened and she said their loss. Two days later one of the owners of the dealership goes to see my wife at the bank on unrelated business. My wife relays my experience to her and she calls me to go back to the dealership and I would be taken care of. Thanks but no thanks. What I experienced is probably reflective of the whole place and that includes the service department.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Harley's brilliance ends at the drawing board, I guess. When the XLX-61 Sportster came out in 1983, black handlebars and exhaust, no pillion, I went to every dealership in the Chicago area with cash in my pocket.

I guess you could say the sales people were polite, but nobody had one, and nobody was interested in finding one for me. No Harley for me, I bought a Gold Wing some years later.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
No leather vest, goatees, and pony tails like the salesman.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Too funny, the "Harley Guy" uniform.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Some years ago my wife and I had decided to get another 4 wheel drive vehicle as we were living in Western NY at the time.

Based on our price range and needs the best vehicle by our research was a Toyota 4runner. My wife kinda liked the Chrysler Pacifica, although there weren’t many reviews on it at the time. So we drove to Erie PA where we had heard that we would find a better deal. We walked into Erie Chrysler (or at least one of them) and I was immediately approached by a veteran salesman with a younger sidekick. “What can we do for you today?”, he asked.

I pointed at a blue Chrysler Pacifica and said, how much cash for that Pacifica?. (I had already scouted the cars on the lot the Sunday before).

“Cash?”, he says, “Ah, you're not going to pay cash”.

I looked at him and said, I don’t think you heard me. We’re going to buy a car today. How much will you give me off sticker for cash money?

He said “Let’s sit down and talk financing”.
I said to him, do you want to sell a car or not? The man laughed and actually said “...come back when you are serious”.

So we drove to Erie Toyota and I was approached by the sales manager himself. I told him the same request except for a 4runner and he says to me “I have a 4runner that I used myself for a tour of the area for Toyota staff. It has 200 miles on it and it’s spotless. You can have it for 8k off sticker price”.

I bought the Toyota, (that was indeed spotless), thanked him and drove it back over to the @#$@#$$ at the Chrysler dealership and parked right in front of their entryway.
Got out of the vehicle and pointed to the shiny 4runner and told him I had just bought it and they could have sold a car if they hadn’t been such 2#$@#$@#heads…

Everywhere you go- ...aholes. (The Duchess and The Dirtwater Fox)

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
My dad told me a story about oil money in the '50's: Local farmer (obvious by dress) walks around the only Ford dealer's showroom in Laurel, MS but nobody would wait on him. He approached a salesman and sez: "I wanna buy that'un", pointing to the Galaxie on the showroom floor. The salesman quickly asked how he would like to pay. The farmer replied that he would write a check. In the '50's, counter checks were prolific. The salesman asked "What bank?" The farmer replied "Hit don't matter". Four banks in Laurel, he had money in all of them. The point of the story is: Do not sight qualify. That advice has served me well for decades.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
I swear I don't mean this in a creepy way, but what were you wearing?

It absolutely disgusts me that Bryan11 can go into a store or dealership wearing jeans and a t-shirt and be completely snubbed, and then he goes in wearing a suit and the sales critters about fall all over themselves trying to suck up to him.

For me, it's usually a matter of them approaching me grudgingly after staring for awhile and saying slowly and loudly, "CAN I HELP YOU?" Roll Eyes

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brecaidra:
I swear I don't mean this in a creepy way, but what were you wearing?

It absolutely disgusts me that Bryan11 can go into a store or dealership wearing jeans and a t-shirt and be completely snubbed, and then he goes in wearing a suit and the sales critters about fall all over themselves trying to suck up to him.

For me, it's usually a matter of them approaching me grudgingly after staring for awhile and saying slowly and loudly, "CAN I HELP YOU?" Roll Eyes

Hey, I can do creepy... Razz

Actually, my usual uniform: Clean but somewhat stained carpenter jeans, a well-worn tee shirt, heavy boots and a not-long-for-this-world seed hat.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya know what? If I'm
Gonna spend 3Ok plus, ya better come
Kiss my ass a little. If that makes me a cranky old man, tuck ya.
I
Don't finance, I pay cash. Need money talks, or it smells bullshit and walks.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the Mrs. bought her truck, we walked into a dealership. The salesman started talking to me and I stopped him, pointed to my wife and said "She's buying, not me". He continued to try and talk to me and not her. She finally said "Let's go". We left.

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
My dad told me a story about oil money in the '50's: Local farmer (obvious by dress) walks around the only Ford dealer's showroom in Laurel, MS but nobody would wait on him. He approached a salesman and sez: "I wanna buy that'un", pointing to the Galaxie on the showroom floor. The salesman quickly asked how he would like to pay. The farmer replied that he would write a check. In the '50's, counter checks were prolific. The salesman asked "What bank?" The farmer replied "Hit don't matter". Four banks in Laurel, he had money in all of them. The point of the story is: Do not sight qualify. That advice has served me well for decades.

There are COUNTLESS stories of this kind of thing - one would think that every salesman has heard many of them by now. My father told me about a guy who owned a concrete business. He walked into a Lincoln dealership (wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt, as he was loaded but humble), asking how much a Continental on the showroom floor was. The salesman replied "You can't afford it." As he left, he said "I have half a mind to buy this dealership and fire you." He went to the Caddy dealership, bought a DeVille, and drove it back to the Lincoln place to show them how badly they screwed up.

I got this lousy treatment when I went to buy my last pickup. It seems their sales technique was to ignore me, in an attempt to force me to *beg* them to sell me a vehicle. Then, they would condescend and try to tell me what *I* could afford. I read that this is an actual technique used today. They treat you like you can't afford something, hoping that you will get riled up and buy the car to prove you have the money. . . That crap don't work on me. I wrote several managers/dealerships telling them how their crappy customer service cost them a sale. I never got a reply.

I hate these 'sales games.'

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Was recently in A Yoop Ford dealership.
Just me.
No other customers visible.
Sales people walking all around me.
No interest in me at all.
Now I have no interest in them.

Saw this not too long ago in a Huyandai dealer.

Not that I was car shopping, but was in the sales area looking at the new models, reading window stickers, etc. Must have been at least 6 sales critters there, none of them approached me.

And yes, I am a cranky old man.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
In every dealership I have ever been in, I have been accosted within seconds. The only exception was a Ferrari dealership in Pennsylvania. I would have had a better chance of seeing another human being, if I had just landed on the moon. I guess I didn't look like the Ferrari type.

I was in the chevy dealership about 2 weeks ago, window shopping for a pick-up. A group of sales critters was standing around BSing and watching me reading window stickers. After perhaps 20 minutes and having looked at every standard cab truck they had on the lot, one of them wandered over to me and wanted to know if he could help me. Nope.

Went from there to the Dodge dealer to see how things worked there. Not much better.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
12 years ago I decided I was going to buy an Electra Glide. Went to the dealership and brought my son and daughter with me. We were the only people there. The two salesmen were more interested in chatting with each other near the clothing department. I stood by one of the bikes for what seemed like an eternity and no response. Now if I am a motorcycle salesman and I saw a middle aged man with two children walk in what does that tell me? Cha Ching! Maybe I wasn't dressed appropriately. No leather vest, goatees, and pony tails like the salesman. After I time I left.

My wife called me and asked to see the bike. I told her what happened and she said their loss. Two days later one of the owners of the dealership goes to see my wife at the bank on unrelated business. My wife relays my experience to her and she calls me to go back to the dealership and I would be taken care of. Thanks but no thanks. What I experienced is probably reflective of the whole place and that includes the service department.

Go look at the new Yamaha Star Venture. You'll get a torque increase over the ED with a lower center of gravity at a better price. If I was looking to get a V-Twin cruiser it would be way high on the list.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I guess I didn't look like the Ferrari type.

Thank your lucky stars! Big Grin

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Doesn't that photo belong here?

I always wondered what nhtagmember looks like.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I have long had a theory that the American name vehicles are hurt as much by the lousy dealers as they are by the shoddy design and assembly. I'm really tired of the dealerships and the way they treat customers, even after purchase. My most recent purchase was a new Jeep last year. It took nearly forever to get me a title. Then it was for a truck I'd never seen. I can only surmise the truck buyer was equally unhappy. It all worked out in the end, but only after a total of 6 trips to the courthouse to get their mistakes cleaned up. No, I will never deal with King's Jeep again.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:

There are COUNTLESS stories of this kind of thing - one would think that every salesman has heard many of them by now. My father told me about a guy who owned a concrete business. He walked into a Lincoln dealership (wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt, as he was loaded but humble), asking how much a Continental on the showroom floor was. The salesman replied "You can't afford it." As he left, he said "I have half a mind to buy this dealership and fire you." He went to the Caddy dealership, bought a DeVille, and drove it back to the Lincoln place to show them how badly they screwed up.

I got this lousy treatment when I went to buy my last pickup. It seems their sales technique was to ignore me, in an attempt to force me to *beg* them to sell me a vehicle. Then, they would condescend and try to tell me what *I* could afford. I read that this is an actual technique used today. They treat you like you can't afford something, hoping that you will get riled up and buy the car to prove you have the money. . . That crap don't work on me. I wrote several managers/dealerships telling them how their crappy customer service cost them a sale. I never got a reply.

I've dome across that technique too. They hope you get riled up to want to show them you can buy whatever price they think you can't afford. Yeah, some people might bite. I don't.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

What the dealers have discovered is the games seem to work in their favor. They even send their sales staff to seminars and classes so they can learn how to mistreat customers. Only because it seems to work.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
When the Mrs. bought her truck, we walked into a dealership. The salesman started talking to me and I stopped him, pointed to my wife and said "She's buying, not me". He continued to try and talk to me and not her. She finally said "Let's go". We left.

We had the exact same experience back in the 1990's, when my wife went to buy a Honda Del Sol. I went along just to keep company. The salesman kept trying to talk to me, and I kept redirecting. He finally got it, and she bought there. Really pissed her off, though, and rightfully so.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in an area where there are probably 10 Toyota dealers within an hour drive. I went looking for a 4Runner and told the sales person I knew exactly what I wanted and I wanted his best price. He wanted to play the back and forth game, I told him the price he comes back with the first time is what I will take to other dealerships. I said if they beat it I won't be back, so make it good. He got the manager who started whining about coming to them first was the kiss of death, and the sales person has to make a little money. Then he said if I get a better deal, please come back and he'll beat it. With that I told him he obviously was not going to give me his best price and walked out.

Posts: 157 | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post