SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Fitbit Ionic....froze almost a year to the date.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fitbit Ionic....froze almost a year to the date. Login/Join 
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted
Bought the wife an Ionic almost a year to the date today. Last night it decide to "freeze". Searched all over the innerwebs for a solution. One thing popped up was, it seeemed like there were numerous cases of it "freezing" after close to one year of service. Ended up calling technical support, which was foreign call center. No solution. Their warranty is we can have 50% off a new Fitbit, or a replacement, which could be a reconditioned one with no warranty. Anyone else have a Fitbit that died after almost one year of service?

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
I have had my Ionic for a year. Still working. Will be following this thread.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, my significant other purchased one and almost year to date it stopped working. I just inquired with her as to why she never returned the item and really didn't get much of an answer. She did state that she receives lots of emails from the company pushing product.

Posts: 901 | Location: Wilmington,NC....I-40 West, use it! | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I have a Fitbit Ionic. I bought one of the early versions and it froze/died within a month of purchase. After a very unpleasant conversation with "Customer Service" the agent agreed to replace the watch. I went through much troubleshooting with the agent before he agreed. I sent the watch back and got a new one. It has been fine since but I do believe Fitbit has a problem. If/when this one dies I will probably look elsewhere or go back to an unsmart watch.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The experience in our household with several FitBit devices, leads us to believe that they have a major quality control problem.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
One of the girls in my office went through 3 the same way. They just up and quit working after 6 months to a year and a half. She got the same run around and 50% off of the new one that would go on to break a few months down the road.

Needless to say, she doesn't use a fitbit anymore. They are pretty neat devices, but their quality seems to be pretty spotty.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Samsung gear fit2 pro died after a year & 2 mo’s. I think most of these wearables have a very limited life, and maybe not just fitbit.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I have a Fitbit One, it is the small one when they first came out. It has a small rubber sheath with a clip on it.

My first one died within a year. I have to admit I was pretty hard on it, and probably not a "typical" user. 20 mile days are not uncommon. I recently crossed the 26,000 mile mark, since I started using it in January of 2013.

I sent it back to them with a proof of purchase (under one year), and they sent me a new one, no questions asked.

As another member suggested, I believe the wrist worn types might not hold up as long. You are basically wearing a computer on your wrist, and it gets knocked around on a daily basis.

We did just get three Fitbit Charge 3's in our household as Christmas gifts. I'll post any issues we have.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
See if you can find any instructions for a hard reset.
My first had a problem after almost a years and they were very nice on the phone and replaced it after troubleshooting first.
The second one finally died after two years plus and they gave me a 50% credit on a new one.
I've had very good customer service from them.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
My wife went through 3 fit bits in two years. Best Buy does not offer a warranty on them anymore so she switched to Garmin.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next time get a Garmin. Have the Forerunner 235 and the LED HR monitor is distinctly flakey. As in it uses a computer algorithm based on the average extremely obese individual to estimate the heart rate. So, get up to let the dog out and it will spike the recorded HR to somthing in the 110-130 bpm range. BTW, I am a rather fit individual who wears a Garmin Chest band HR monitor any time I work out. So a quick button push will reveal the LED HR first and after about 20 seconds it will cycle over to the chest band, so I know damned well that when I let the dog out my actual HR only rises by about 5 bpm.

Anyhow because of all this I have called Garmin Customer Service on multiple occasions about this trying to convince then that the need to base their estimate on how a FIT individual responds to a short change in the level of activity, NOT on the 40% Obese general population. After all it is a Fitness Watch. So, every time I've called they have offered to change my 235 out for a brand new one, in total 5 or 6 times. Note, the watch is well out of warranty at this point having it was purchased in July of 2016. Didn't stop the offer for an exchange until I told the CS Rep that that the bezel was marred by a bit of weld spatter and I didn't think it would be "fair" of me to accept the exchange. BTW, back when it was fairly new I had the chest monitor fail and called Garmin about it and was sent a brand new monitor via 2 day Air.

Point being that Garmin Customer Service is nearly as good as Apple and the call center is located in the great old USA.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
She went with a replacement and will wear it until it dies. But will not buy another one of their products. Which is why she did not take the 50% off offer.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post