SIGforum
One of my boys shut off my meat deep freeze!!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/1570001854

June 21, 2019, 05:35 PM
Black92LX
One of my boys shut off my meat deep freeze!!
Ohhhh my goodness!
Went to grab some meat for dinner. Went to move the popsicles. Squishy, that’s not right. Then BOOM the smell.
Slammed it shut. Look at the knob, off. One of the boys got it with their foot as they kind of have to climb it a bit to get popsicles out.
So I am pretty sure it has been since Tuesday night. Turned it back on. Sunday night we put the trash out. So’ll I’ll keep it sealed up till then.
Put some Vick’s in the nostrils, dawn the gas mask, and clear it out with the garage open and a fan on high out the window!
Some much good deer meat!!!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
June 21, 2019, 05:47 PM
RogueJSK
That really sucks.

Sounds like you might need to either...

A) Set up a small stepstool that they can climb on to get popsicles, or

B) Fashion some sort of protective shroud for the controls, or

C) Just move the popsicles into the kitchen freezer.
June 21, 2019, 05:51 PM
ZSMICHAEL
You are a nice Dad. My Dad would have made us clean it out without a mask, and threaten that we would have to eat the meat. Mom would intervene, but no more popsicles for a year. Kids get into stuff, particularly boys.
June 21, 2019, 06:31 PM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
That really sucks.

Sounds like you might need to either...

A) Set up a small stepstool that they can climb on to get popsicles, or

B) Fashion some sort of protective shroud for the controls, or

C) Just move the popsicles into the kitchen freezer.

I am making a shroud and will have a step stool.
Don’t want them in the house as there are like 500. When all the neighborhood kids play they run in and get them. Don’t want all the kids in the house.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
You are a nice Dad. My Dad would have made us clean it out without a mask, and threaten that we would have to eat the meat. Mom would intervene, but no more popsicles for a year. Kids get into stuff, particularly boys.

This scenario the boys have done nothing wrong. They have free reign to get popsicles as long as they ask which they do.
The culprit is likely the boy that is not even two yet as the oldest can reach and the middle boy generally can reach.

As Rouge suggested I will be taking a clear plastic tub over the dial so I can still see the power light but the dial can’t be turned.

————————————————
June 21, 2019, 06:36 PM
recoatlift
Any danger of falling in & having no way out?
June 21, 2019, 06:49 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
This scenario the boys have done nothing wrong. They have free reign to get popsicles as long as they ask which they do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was not critcizing you. I always wished my Dad would have been understanding in situations like this. Good for you.
June 21, 2019, 06:49 PM
Skins2881
Won't help for what happened, but I'd suggest an Alarm GFI in the garage so you know if it ever trips from thunderstorms or power surges. Super easy if your GFI is in the garage, slightly more involved if it is not.

Alarm GFI

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
June 21, 2019, 06:51 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Won't help for what happened, but I'd suggest an Alarm GFI in the garage so you know if it ever trips from thunderstorms or power surges. Super easy if your GFI is in the garage, slightly more involved if it is not.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good point. Ruined food is expensive.
June 21, 2019, 07:00 PM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Any danger of falling in & having no way out?

Once I get it cleaned out there will be until deer season.
Up till now as it is filled to the top.
I’ll likely move the popsicles to the veggie deep freeze until I need this one again. So I’ll probably flip it around so they can’t open it.

————————————————
June 21, 2019, 07:42 PM
cas
Had the same thing happen to my old upright, lost 100% of a just shot buck and various other things. Opened the door and it looked like a murder scene. Eek

I plugged it back in and left it that way for over a month, maybe two. When I cleaned it out it wasn't that bad at all. Got some special stuff from work for the smell, but honestly it probably wasn't needed. Regular household products would have worked.

June 21, 2019, 10:03 PM
lopezp
Similar happened to me in college. The meat was only slightly green. Roommate and I thought maybe we could cook the bad stuff out of the meat, but the smell only got worse. Good for you for making a plan to dump the meat.
June 21, 2019, 11:07 PM
SR025
That really stinks! Razz

Maybe get a temperature alarm for it after the clean out.
June 22, 2019, 01:20 AM
zoom6zoom
Yeah, an audible Freezer Alarm will scream when the unit's power goes out. Damn cheap insurance, about twelve bucks or so.
https://www.amazon.com/CDN-TA2...reezer/dp/B000I62FQI

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
June 22, 2019, 06:12 AM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Yeah, an audible Freezer Alarm will scream when the unit's power goes out. Damn cheap insurance, about twelve bucks or so.

Excellent!
Never really thought about that until this happened. Figured something existed just had not started looking yet.
I have two deep freezes so we keep a lot of food. I am guessing I have 24 hours if they stay shut from loss of power. Enough to run to Sams or wherever and get another freezer.
Anyone make one that sends a notification to ones phone??

————————————————
June 22, 2019, 06:27 AM
Blume9mm
I was going to say the above would not necessarily work.... power could still be supplied to freezer and it still not stay cold... but then I had the 'smarts' to check the link.... does not check power to unit but temperature of the inside of the freezer.... much better. I may order one.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
June 22, 2019, 06:49 AM
Skins2881
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:

Cool didn't know those existed. Will be recommending those to my customers. One with text alerts would be perfect. My soultion has always been Alarm GFIs which only tell you if it trips, not if the fridge/freezer fails. I deal with people who lost freezers full of food all the time from power loss, my customers will thank you. The only ones that are ever pissed are the hunters, $300 worth of frozen meat from Costco isn't worth nearly as much to most, as the meat purchased with an 80¢ bullet.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
June 22, 2019, 07:31 AM
Black92LX
Yup, I am most bummed about my deer. Can’t just run down to the store and replace.
Have to wait till November.

————————————————
June 22, 2019, 12:50 PM
Georgeair
Best part of this thread is the idea of a monitor probe. Sorry you had to lose meat for us to learn Frown

My folks were SUPER paranoid about us falling into the freezer and kept it locked. Even mostly full, if a kid is having to climb up on it the lid could slam shut on their head and from there it gets dicey.

In strange twist of irony my mom actually had the lid fall on her in her 70s and give her a pretty good lick and a cut on the scalp. Of course she just sat up rest of night and called us in the morning. Realized she might have a concussion and need stitches but didn’t want to bother anyone. Sheesh.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

June 22, 2019, 03:43 PM
Kevmo
Count your blessings, my BIL, who is a pro fishing guide in So Florida, had a smilier situation with his but he used his to freeze chum for charters
June 22, 2019, 05:15 PM
bendable
when I was delivering appliances, in Phoenix,
a fella called the store,
he was in route from an elk hunt in montana
it was thursday and needed a freezer delivered on Saturday .

I got there on friday and plugged it in for him ( he gave me the garage code)

he called back on saturday for me to pick up his old freezer, seems it had died , sometime last week, it was full of all kinds of meet from previous hunts.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first