SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neighbor lights up the night.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neighbor lights up the night. Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ask her if she got her annual rabies shot since the light attracts mosquitos and they attract bats. Then the bat guano attracts who knows what.
Maybe, not being a country girl, she has some learning to do.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Neighbor has a light on a motion sensor next door damn thing goes off 100 times at night lighting up our bedroom. Have asked him to turn it down and he says he has, but it's still on-off on-off all night, so I"ve let the hedge grow up between us where it blocks it.

He may have turned it down but with all the plants in his side yard a small breeze will set it off.

Chat with her, perhaps she will be accomodating.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My closest neighbor is a hundred yards or so away.

Well he's like the third or fourth that has been in that house and every last one of them keep the flood lights on ALL NIGHT LONG.

They shine right into Roxy's windows and will keep her up all night.

I have black foamcore covers I have to put up every goddammed night.

Now THIS neighbor has moved out, has the house up for sale yet again and is leaving those goddammed lights on 24/7.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
My closest neighbor is a hundred yards or so away.

Well he's like the third or fourth that has been in that house and every last one of them keep the flood lights on ALL NIGHT LONG.

They shine right into Roxy's windows and will keep her up all night.

I have black foamcore covers I have to put up every goddammed night.

Now THIS neighbor has moved out, has the house up for sale yet again and is leaving those goddammed lights on 24/7.
Go replace the bulbs with 40 watt bulbs .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Preach it brother!

On our left is a retired couple from NOVA that kept their back yard light on for their dogs. The problem is that their home is closer to the road than ours and their light shines directly into my bedroom. I finally went over and explained the situation and they reluctantly agreed. They now keep the lights on in the house which still shines into our bedroom but is not as bright.

On the other side a couple from New Jersey moved in and one of the first thing they did was to install a huge LED motion sensors that goes off every time my wife or I come down our driveway...Well we went over there and the husband was very apologetic and turned down the sensors so we don’t get lit up coming down our own driveway...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Preach it brother!

On our left is a retired couple from NOVA that kept their back yard light on for their dogs. The problem is that their home is closer to the road than ours and their light shines directly into my bedroom. I finally went over and explained the situation and they reluctantly agreed. They now keep the lights on in the house which still shines into our bedroom but is not as bright.

On the other side a couple from New Jersey moved in and one of the first thing they did was to install a huge LED motion sensors that goes off every time my wife or I come down our driveway...Well we went over there and the husband was very apologetic and turned down the sensors so we don’t get lit up coming down our own driveway...

Wait just a second. You're telling me that you just went and talked to them and were able to resolve the situation, not once, but twice?

You didn't have to threaten them or call the police, or nothing?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
On our left is a retired couple from NOVA that kept their back yard light on for their dogs.

Wait just a second part 2! Are you telling me the dogs who live outside are scared of the dark?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Preach it brother!

Wait just a second. You're telling me that you just went and talked to them and were able to resolve the situation, not once, but twice?

You didn't have to threaten them or call the police, or nothing?

Well I was wearing my vest with 6 mags in it...;-)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
On our left is a retired couple from NOVA that kept their back yard light on for their dogs.

Wait just a second part 2! Are you telling me the dogs who live outside are scared of the dark?

Apparently so. While I’m not a great lover of dogs I do tolerate them but by God these two dogs (full size puddles) have to be the dumbest things on 4 legs.

------------------
Eddie

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Plantation shutters are the best window coverings ever. They look great, and are so easy to open and close.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
^^^^^I agree. I manufactured and sold shutters for over 20 years.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
We had a light that was shinning in a neighbor's bedroom. She politely asked us to turn it down or off. It was a reasonable request. So off it went. It's been off for years except for occasional night use. We all get along still. Sometimes a quick call can resolve an issue easily.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt talking to her would do any good. There are people that like those bright service lights and feel "safer" with them. Won't hurt to try though.

I hate those things. I've had to deal with them sometimes but that is just another reason we live where we do. Our closest neighbor is about 1/2 mile away.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
You need to talk to her.
Reality is: she’s not used to living in the country; YOU are her best security system.

Perhaps suggest IR cameras in place of the light(s), emphasizing the beauty of living in the country is seeing the stars at night.

Borrow a friend’s telescope, show her how you’re trying to explore the heavens but her light pollution makes it impossible.

Don’t start out thinking she’s the enemy. She’s your new neighbor.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
We had a light that was shinning in a neighbor's bedroom. She politely asked us to turn it down or off. It was a reasonable request. So off it went. It's been off for years except for occasional night use. We all get along still. Sometimes a quick call can resolve an issue easily.

Helps when they speak English, my neighbors don't.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Have you tried talking to her about it? I would go that route and see if she can change it's angle or move it.

Start with this.

First check and see if your county (or whatever local government) has an ordinance about such matters.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Since she hasn't moved in yet, maybe swap the bulb to one a third the wattage before she comes back, or even re-aim it. She probably won't even notice.

That would be my solution. Makes a lot more sense than "going to war" with competing lights aimed at her house etc. Why go straight to nuclear war when a special operation might do the job for you. That would retain her goal of providing additional security while at the same time at least partially meeting your goal of reducing light pollution. After all, it's her property and her desire to provide additional security for herself is not unreasonable. If you go the special operation route, I would make sure there are no security cameras installed.

Wait . . . we are in favor of trespassing and interfering with your neighbor's property now? How would you feel if they tried that on some item on your land?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand about liking the country lifestyle and having it dark and all but if this is the biggest issue you have with her, I would be grateful. It could be much worse. A single person,a woman especially, with a light in the front of their house might give her some security. I wouldn't think she has it to cause an issue with neighbors but for security. I live in a smallish city and nobody has their carriage/garage lights on but me at night. Some of the neighbors lately are questionable and we have had some car break ins lately. Seems like I supply light for the area/security.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in an apt. on the second floor.

16 months ago,a neighbor ,( across the street and two houses down)
Added a 16 x 16 deck to his house,

Four months ago he mounted lights to his deck area,
About knee height on the house siding.

Those two lights illuminate my living room and dining room areas so much ,
I no longer need to use my lights in the middle of the night.

That's about 180 feet away Eek

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Well, there’s this movie called Christmas Vacation ...

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post