SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The Stupid...it hurts!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Stupid...it hurts! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Waiting at the light at Deep Homo when a raggedy Chevy S10-sized truck pulls out with 15 or so sheets of plywood in the back. Front of plywood up on wheel wells, back laying on open tailgate so the whole load is slanted to the rear at about 15°. Nothing tying it down, not so much as a piece of twine. Oh, and one of those REALLY slick plastic bed liners to lubricate things.

Barely got my mouth open to say to the wife "That's an accident waiting to happen" when about 2/3rds of the load slides out and onto the street in front of me. Had just started out from the traffic light so plenty of time to stop.

Put the 4-ways on and got out to help reload the plywood. Boy Genius and his helper (both wearing safety vests and hard hats) were just going to load it right back the way it was. I mentioned that it might be better if they put the tailgate up and reloaded so the plywood was tilted towards the cab rather than out the back.

Pretty apparent that that was a completely novel idea to them...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The stupid is strong.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There were two of them? Heck, one of them could just hold it down until they get to their destination...

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wish you could type that with a Maine accent...

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Afterwards, wifey and i had some chowdah and laughed about the whole ordeal.

We see the same crap all day long here in Alabama. We've got some real enlightened residents here too. Roll Tide....not

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

I wish you could type that with a Maine accent...

Big Grin Now, that made me laugh out loud.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say a Honda with a mattress on the roof the other day, being held down by the "friend." I turned out of my way so I wouldn't have to see the results.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Physics is for nerds.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I was behind a small pickup that had a big stack of plywood with the low side against the tailgate and the high side sticking up, forward, over the cab--way over the cab. It was quite an astonishing sight.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I once hauled 14’ decking in the back of my extra cab Ranger. The 2 secrets were
- tie the boards together, on edge. Practically a lamination. Won’t flex.
- a few hundred pounds of concrete on top near the cab as counterweight.

A few ripe downs to avoid sliding, away we went. Worked well, got some odd looks. Smile

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Roll Tide....not
Yeah, that is the sum total of their edumication, "roll tide!".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
20 years ago I worked at a full service lumber yard.

I saw some amazing things happen over the years.

One time a guy came in and bought a 20' 2x4. Didn't think much about it, then I saw him put a flag on one end and hop on a motorized scooter (like the electric scooters we have now) with the 2x4 over his shoulder and down the Blvd he went.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3474 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was waiting to go south at a stop light in Phoenix , one day ,

A glass truck headed north ,turned left in front of me , hurrying to beat the yellow turn light.

well three giant panes of glass and a giant mirror leaned off of the right side of his truck and crashed on to the pavement.

what a huge flippin mess.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
By 'assisting' and 'educating' them, you inadvertently violated the Prime Directive.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2836 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago I pulled out from a side street behind a pickup. I quickly hit the brakes and gave him a lot of clear space to the rear. Inside of the bed on a plastic bedliner was an outboard boat motor, no tailgate nor any tiedowns or ropes securing it. A recipe for disaster.

So as I went through downtown all five blocks more cars got between us. Fine, a buffer I think.

About a half mile outside of there on an uphill stretch he is stopped at a traffic light, you can guess the rest. He accelerates, out of the back slides the outboard onto the roadway. The guy behind him in the older LeSabre stopped in time though. Five lanes, I went to the right lane to clear the intersection and to view the carnage of broken outboard castings, not a small motor either. Oh well, all he had to do was backtrack about a quarter mile to the local scrapyard.

I see this stuff all the time on I-96, unsecured loads, construction materials, ladders. I usually get in the far lane and pass quickly regardless if I'm in four wheels or on two wheels. These idiots need a ticket for unsecured load regardless if it comes out or not.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The year was 1985. I had been working in the Denver area, my assignment there was finished, we were relocating to Florida. My wife and I were riding our BMW motorcycles, we were on the expressway between Fort Worth and Dallas, there were several lanes, at least three, maybe more, eastbound.

A pickup truck in front of me was pulling a lawn service trailer. The tailgate of the trailer was evidently not secured properly. At about 70 mph, the tailgate opened and lawn service stuff -- rakes, weed trimmers, edgers, etc. -- came flying out.

I dodged it all, then looked in my rear-view mirror, saw my wife happily running the slalom course, weaving back and forth between the obstacles.

When we stopped later, she said, "That was fun! Just like we teach in the safety course!" (We were both instructors, in the MSF course).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I exited the Interstate onto a ramp that had a red stoplight at the bottom and several vehicles waiting on the light. It was a warm day with my windows open and I started smelling gasoline while slowing down on the ramp. Didn’t see anything obvious until the light changed and a pickup two or three cars ahead started accelerating. Noticed a huge waterfall of liquid dropping to the ground from the gap between his bed and tailgate and the gasoline smell suddenly got extremely strong!

Needless to say, I quit following that pickup as soon as I had room to do so. Couldn’t see inside the bed from my vantage point, but one or more gas cans had to have toppled over and were rapidly emptying as he drove. Didn’t see any notice of pickup trucks burning up on that evening’s news, so I’m guessing he made it wherever he was going.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're lucky the gas was in gas cans...

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago a big hurricane hit the Gulf Coast. Panic set in about damage to refineries and the future availability of fuel, and I saw a nitwit pumping gas into a big Rubbermaid tote in the bed of his pickup truck here in Jerkwater. So a gas can shouldn’t necessarily be presumed to be present.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post