SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Android Keyboard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Android Keyboard Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted
It's absolutely horrible. Whoever it is that keeps jacking with it, programming the thing to change itself randomly every few days, I hope you die of fucking herpes!

Now the letters are all smaller, harder to type. Theres no more return key, instead there's a smiley face key! WTF is the smiley face key for? In case I feel like being a a skinny jeans wearing mellenial toolbag. How do I start a new line of text with a smiley face button instead of a return button. Anyone know? I gotta tap the little smiley face button, hold it a couple seconds and a new popup thing happens, with multiple buttons, including the hidden return key.

The left side of the keypad now has some kinda heiroglyphics panel. A square with a nother square and a diagonal arrow inside it, a left ointing Chevron and a symbol made of four arrows pointing to the 45°, 135°, 225° and 315° radials. Anybody know how to turn all that shit off? I just want letters, numbers and punctuation. You know, like a regular non-skinny jeans mellenial keyboard.

Also, the top of the keyboard has a panel that says "I", "that", "days" and various other bullshit. Any way to get rid of that shit too?

I've looked through the Android keyboard settings. There's no option for deactivating all the useless bullshit. I'm not sure how it got turned on in the first place. Is there someone, somewhere, who's job is to create the world's most mellenial barista metrosexual friendly keyboard ever?

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
There are other keyboards in the Play Store. Try a different one if you don't like the one that comes on your phone.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Swiftkey keyboard. I have it on my android. Tons better and you can customize a little.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
There are other keyboards in the Play Store. Try a different one if you don't like the one that comes on your phone.

The one that came with my phone was great. But sometime around the day after I bought my phone, it had changed itself. It seems to change itself every time I use it.

Example: now my return key is back. Top panel is still there, the left panel has changed. I can't type commas, as that button brings up a second panel, that lets me choose between a comma and a smiley face.

If I close and reopen the browser, the keypad will be different.

I wasn't aware the keypad could be changed, I'll get to work finding a replacement.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Swiftkey keyboard. I have it on my android. Tons better and you can customize a little.

Swiftkey is fantastic. I've been using it for years.

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I now have SwiftKey.

Much, much better. The return key is here, and comfortably locked in place. No more silly smiley faces trying to take over.

A million thanks!

posted Hide Post
I downloaded Gboard after the default one on my S7 edge changed with the latest update to no longer autocorrect (I've worked hard on getting choosing the correct word so it would learn my style!). It lets you display the number row or not as well as turning off the emoticon button etc. Did exactly what I was looking for and used the default dictionary (unlike some others that I've tried in the past that had their own).

Finding a 'trusted' keyboard is tough since it has access to EVERYTHING you type. Figured one from Google would be the 'safest' and I can turn off all the anonymous data they collect.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I use the default Google GBoard on my Nexus 6p.

You can turn the emoticon key off. Press and hold the left comma key to access the settings.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another happy Swiftkey user.

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post