SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Sig’s inability to standardize their packaging
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig’s inability to standardize their packaging Login/Join 
posted
Lately we have received a number of different 365s and all of them have been received in different packaging direct from our distributors. At first it wasn’t too bad because instead of the little Sig box they just put them in one of the bigger Sig boxes, but today I received a SAS model in a generic black box (bottom box in picture).

I don’t think I’ve ever received a firearm from ANY manufacturer in a random generic box that didn’t have their name on it. I understand supply chain issues or whatever they may be going through but Sig is the only company this crap is coming from(1 mag, random boxes, etc)

I understand you don’t shoot the box so it shouldn’t matter, but it’s irritating when day by day you never know what you are going to receive from Sig and in my opinion it just hurts your brand to ship your guns in a box/case that doesn’t even have your name on it.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
If it was Sig’s only transgression in recent memory it wouldn’t irritate me much. Unfortunately that’s not the case.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Unfortunately that’s not the case.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess you guys forgot the days when all new guns came in a simple cardboard box......LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Guess you guys forgot the days when all new guns came in a simple cardboard box......LOL

It's not the case that's the issue. Personally I like the black box more than a smith and Wesson cardboard box or Taurus cardboard box etc, BUT at least the smith and Wesson box and the Taurus box say smith and Wesson or Taurus on the cardboard box and look like a factory box.

My issue is really just the impression it gives off. Plain black box looks like something someone buys off the shelf at Walmart for 4.99 and puts their used gun in. Absolutely nothing wrong with the box its actually a decent box as far as boxes go, but for a factory box it should have their name on it is all I'm saying. I suppose it has the factory barcode label on it, but I think its just silly for them to send their guns out this way

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
quote:

It's not the case that's the issue. Personally I like the black box more than a smith and Wesson cardboard box or Taurus cardboard box etc, BUT at least the smith and Wesson box and the Taurus box say smith and Wesson or Taurus on the cardboard box and look like a factory box.

My issue is really just the impression it gives off. Plain black box looks like something someone buys off the shelf at Walmart for 4.99 and puts their used gun in. Absolutely nothing wrong with the box its actually a decent box as far as boxes go, but for a factory box it should have their name on it is all I'm saying. I suppose it has the factory barcode label on it, but I think its just silly for them to send their guns out this way

Yeah, they could at least put a Sig sticker on the box.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some still do, like my Ruger MkIV.

Posts: 9036 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm happy that I live in a state and a country that firearms are still available to the general public. Ship them in a used brown paper bag for all I care.

These days there's so many other things to get upset about.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've done a lot of trading. People who trade prefer the gun they're interested in to come in its OEM case. Sig is supposed to be a premium brand, so that generic case looks bad. If I bought a nice watch or a cell phone, and it came in generic packaging like that, I would question if it were authentic. Fortunately for us, counterfeiting isn't a problem w/ new guns.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I've done a lot of trading. People who trade prefer the gun they're interested in to come in its OEM case. Sig is supposed to be a premium brand, so that generic case looks bad. If I bought a nice watch or a cell phone, and it came in generic packaging like that, I would question if it were authentic. Fortunately for us, counterfeiting isn't a problem w/ new guns.

I agree. People like factory stuff and the perception would be this is not factory stuff. Imagine going to a Honda dealer to look at new civics and they tell you Honda has a shortage on emblems so all the new civics have no emblems on the front or rear of the car where they should be. The emblems are irrelevant to the car, but it would be weird to have a spot for an emblem on the front of a brand new car with no emblem there.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I still miss the Blue Sig Boxes, like Tiffanys for guys..

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
I agree they should have a logo of some sort on the boxes and making them the same size is quite handy. I've pretty much standardized on two boxes.
The blue (or black) with grey clasp boxes from S&W and the made in Israel SIG boxes.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Differently sized and shaped Sig boxes make my giant tower of them wobbly. No bueno.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
[Q UOTE]Originally posted by az4783054:
I'm happy that I live in a state and a country that firearms are still available to the general public. Ship them in a used brown paper bag for all I care.

These days there's so many other things to get upset about.[/QUOTE]

Give us a list so that we don't upset you. Razz

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
The Sigs I've had have come in three different boxes.

I have 7 Glock boxes. In one of them the foam is slightly different than the others. Razz

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I used to work for a shop which exclusively sold watches. Inventory was about 1800-2200 between about 30 brands, from Swatch-IWC. While attempting to make enough space and organize boxes between brands was annoying, the more annoying thing was organizing the different boxes within brands. Some were square, others rectangular, special edition one-offs, round, etc. A constant battle to be sure.

90% of said boxes would either be thrown out by customers traveling, or they'd be upset if purchasing a pair, and the boxes would not be identical.

Very frustrating.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I wish they all went back to cardboard, I didn't seem to have any trouble throwing them away, so as it stands I only have a couple. The plastic boxes however, which I never use, seem to be all over the house. It also seems that I forget I have them, and sell guns without them. I found two last week for guns I no longer own. Roll Eyes Oddly, my most expensive and best made handguns all came in cardboard.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've purchased any of the new SIG products since maybe the mid 2000s, or the post blue case era. Their product line just don't interest me anymore. The only exception would be the M17 Commemorative which I felt I got cheated on consider that a batch of actual surplus'd M17s got released within a year or 2 after, rendering those commemorative guns somewhat worthless.

On a side, note, I wish most mfg would go back to the cardboard boxes, they are smaller and easier to store and I imagine cheaper for the consumer.

I can see the value for these lockable plastic cases for people that only own a 1 or 2 guns, but for people that have a collection or a safe these cases often do nothing but take up storage space.

Finally I think the new style SIG logo just looks atrocious, it looks like it's designed by a high school graduate and caters to the hip and cool crowd rather than those that appreciate serious tools for serious jobs that they once stood.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If it saved me money on the purchase price of the gun, I wouldn't care of they wrapped it in bubble wrap and shipped it in a plastic bag. Once it's in my possession it either lives on a shelf in the safe or in my holster...the box is immaterial, especially for a plastic working gun like a p365.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post