SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    And now stupidity at my credit union.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And now stupidity at my credit union. Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted
Bought that Jeep. Had a check from the credit union after being preapproved. Handed it over to the dealer and waited for the paperwork from corporate.

Got the paperwork on Saturday. Looking through it I saw that I was set up for monthly payroll deductions rather than weekly, as agreed. Start date was as agreed, first Friday of May.

I called Tuesday and spoke to someone at my branch that looked and saw it was set up as monthly. No problem, we can fix that and just send in the completed paperwork.

Paperwork goes into the mailbox on Tuesday afternoon. It wasn’t due for a couple of weeks.

Wednesday I look at the prepared pay stub for today’s check. It was missing an amount equal to the erroneous monthly car payment. Interesting.

I go by the credit union this morning. I’m told the starting date was mis-keyed and the start date was effective today, even though I was holding a copy of my contract that said the May date. And Raleigh hasn’t yet received my completed paperwork to accept the loan.

Better yet, the fix to correct my deductions to weekly was never done, because the lady’s computer had crashed and she didn’t have my info after the crash to call me back.

But wait, there’s more...

They can’t stop the weekly deductions of my monthly car payment, at least not until the end of the month.

And they don’t know what they can or can’t do, because their manager is out to lunch, but they will talk to her and call me back.

You can guess...NO CALL. Mad

What the fuck.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If this was a normal business I’d expect some compensation for this mess. I don’t know what a credit union would do to make this right.

It’s either straight larceny, or breach of contract. I know it’s not that simple, but I’m pissed. I don’t care that it started early, but I’m holding a paper in my hand from YOU with the exact terms of my loan. But you don’t have to follow them???

I bet you’d be fining the hell out of me if the roles were reversed.

Suggestions?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes I do. Ask to speak to the Branch Manager. It is their job to take care of situations like these to keep the customer happy. Think of some ways they might compensate you for your time and trouble. A good business will do that sort of thing. It has worked for me with bank branch managers.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
To clarify, the correction was never entered to change my payment from monthly to weekly. However, because I was set up for automatic payroll deductions, the amount comes out every weekly check.

I’m paying a monthly payment, EVERY WEEK.

-JALLEN

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yikes. I hope they fix this soon for you!

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

There would only be enough money in the accounts they can touch to cover the contractual obligation deposited just prior to the contractual withdrawal.

I'm lucky in the sense that I bank at a small privately owned bank, and due to my work know just about everybody at every branch. Whenever I have an issue I can call or text any of them at any time.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

There would only be enough money in the accounts they can touch to cover the contractual obligation deposited just prior to the contractual withdrawal.

I'm lucky in the sense that I bank at a small privately owned bank, and due to my work know just about everybody at every branch. Whenever I have an issue I can call or text any of them at any time.

Yes. I would drain my account now so that they can't touch my cash and keep it empty until they fix the issue. You can be, and absolutely should be, reimbursed for overdraft fees and such.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Y’all missed one important thing.

These deductions are from my paycheck itself. They are taking the money directly from my employer. This is what I’ve used for a decade with this credit union with no issues.

-JALLEN

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

These deductions are from my paycheck itself. They are taking the money directly from my employer. This is what I’ve used for a decade with this credit union with no issues.

Indeed I did miss that. Well, can you talk to your employer and get them to cut you hard checks? I know mine would do that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:

Indeed I did miss that. Well, can you talk to your employer and get them to cut you hard checks? I know mine would do that.

That wouldn’t stop it.

I expect they will have this fixed Monday. They told me they were going to see if the branch manager would approve changes today, but the deduction will still happen next week no matter what. They were going to have her call me back but she didn’t. One offer was to have next weeks deduction get switched after the fact to my savings account.

-JALLEN

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
IANAL but I wish it could go like this. Since they did not keep their end of the contract, tell them if they give you your money back, you will give them the Jeep and you won't sue them for breaching the contract. Alternatively, they can return the extra money they took to your account and abide by the terms of the loan agreement going forward. They're choice.

I would be looking for a new credit union though. I couldn't trust them after this.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This is yet another reason that I naver have, and never will, authorize automatic deductions, drafts, payments, etc. for anything.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
This is yet another reason that I naver have, and never will, authorize automatic deductions, drafts, payments, etc. for anything.

I never have either. Although I know some places give a discounted rate if you sign up for autodraft.

It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:

But, WOW, just think how much faster you'll have that JEEP paid off!!! Wink

I hope you get this straightened out quickly. Eek

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Since it's your credit union that's holding your loan, one solution would be to get their confirmation that they put the money back into your account same day. And that they can wait until whenever it is that they're supposed to actually take away the money.

That would be the minimum I would insist on.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I looked last night and they moved the amount of the payment into my checking account at around 4:30pm. I didn’t have an issue with paying one for the month, just not one every week. We’ll see what Monday brings. Still no communication.

-JALLEN

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Just keep this in mind, and do NOT forget it:

You are not allowed to shoot them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
To clarify, the correction was never entered to change my payment from monthly to weekly. However, because I was set up for automatic payroll deductions, the amount comes out every weekly check.

Maybe they can't change a payment, but I would bet they can make new ones. Wink

I would make it their business to:

1) identify the 'we can't fix these - they are on autopilot' pre-scheduled mistakes, and
2) set up automatic deposits to net those out to the correct payment you actually do owe.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great gobs of goose shit batman!!! That citizen just got robbed by his own financial institution!

I love when dumbasses use the line: “The computer won’t let me do it”.
It’s a program/machine designed by a man or woman... it’s possible!!!

Good luck getting this resolved man

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post