SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Have to report for Jury duty today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have to report for Jury duty today Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yep... Have to usually suffer thru 1 day of jury duty. Only have to do it once per 8 years in our area.

Usually, I get called into the pool on the first day. Then they question us and find out I'm white, male, a gun owner, support police/miltary, have advanced degrees (multiple) and work in the medical industry. I'm usually the first one out the door.

This area loves to load juries with black females.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Yep... Have to usually suffer thru 1 day of jury duty. Only have to do it once per 8 years in our area.

Usually, I get called into the pool on the first day. Then they question us and find out I'm white, male, a gun owner, support police/miltary, have advanced degrees (multiple) and work in the medical industry. I'm usually the first one out the door.

This area loves to load juries with black females.

Andrew

Funny, 32 years LE experience State/Federal. I'm gone in the first call. Bummer, there are a few I would have really liked to have sat on.

Posts: 815 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've gotten two jury summons in the mail over the past 10 years, with the attached questionnaire. Once I fill it out and send it in, I've never heard back. Likely has something to do with my answers about my occupation, and which LEOs and attorneys I know (something like "Too many to list in provided space").

However, I do know some officers that have been called up for juries for civil cases. Years ago, one of our guys was out for like 2 weeks on a lengthy civil case involving livestock waste and drainage.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TN doesn't use DL.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What do they use to call voters? My daughter just moved there and got a jury summons within a month. No online answers were available, other than a computer selects it randomly. It stated that one must be a resident for 12 months, but apparently that criteria was not included. A friend told her it was because she got a TN drivers license.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Have to report for Jury duty today. What idiot at the county court house scheduled this crap a day before a national holiday? Would have liked to head out of town today for the holiday!

When did you get the notice? I got one once for the dates I had a trip planned. I called the number on the forum and they had no issue excusing me for those dates. They did change my date and send me another notice. I've found if you communicate with them in advance when you get the notice they will work with you. Although I am sure every court system is different.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16372 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I've been called twice but never made it into the courtroom. I guess they think I'm either too smart or too stupid to decide guilt or innocence. I haven't figured out which one it is yet. *s*

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
TN doesn't use DL.
What do they use to call voters? My daughter just moved there and got a jury summons within a month. No online answers were available, other than a computer selects it randomly. It stated that one must be a resident for 12 months, but apparently that criteria was not included. A friend told her it was because she got a TN drivers license.

My MIL got called for jury duty, she's been blind for 50 years and has no DL.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My MIL got called for jury duty, she's been blind for 50 years and has no DL.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If only Cas Walker were still around. He would have fixed it for me. LOL

Posts: 17140 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I've been called twice but never made it into the courtroom. I guess they think I'm either too smart or too stupid to decide guilt or innocence. I haven't figured out which one it is yet. *s*

If you never even made it into the courtroom it's probably because the trial(s) they had planned for that day were adjourned or pled out.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 61 yrs old and have only been summoned twice . Dismissed once , picked once , and never went to trial . Retired now so I don't care if they summon me now or not . My son is a Deputy so I probably won't get picked .

Posts: 3957 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I've been called twice in the 41 years I've lived here. First time we all sat in a room until mid-afternoon waiting for the judge and lawyers to get their act together. When they did finally get around to the selection, they filled the jury with the last person in front of me. The rest of us were dismissed, end of obligation.

Second time I did get selected and we all went to another room to wait. Sat there for an hour or two until somebody came and said the defendant had pled out. No trial, dismissed, end of obligation.

I was actually kind of disappointed in both cases. Maybe next time.

Posts: 7239 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Last time I was on a jury, many many years ago, it was a civil suit. Crazy lady changed lanes on the highway, moving into a truck's blind spot, expecting the truck driver to somehow know that she was moving over and he should yield to her.

Damage to her car, no damage to the truck. Crazy lady was suing the truck driver.

We listened to the evidence, went to the jury room, and looked at each other for a minute or three.

Finally, I piped up and asked, "Does anybody think that loon actually has a valid claim for anything?"

The rest of the jurors all said no, we filed back into the court room. Over and done with in less than ten minutes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
TN doesn't use DL.

Not sure about Tn, but NJ uses voter registration to get you on the "List"

Posts: 1036 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
Sat there for an hour or two until somebody came and said the defendant had pled out. No trial, dismissed, end of obligation.

Cool. You got a taste of being a LEO who gets subpoenaed for trial.

95+% of the time, you show up (often on your day off), sit there for a while, and someone finally comes and tells you that the defendant is going to plead and you're released.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
95+% of the time, you show up (often on your day off), sit there for a while, and someone finally comes and tells you that the defendant is going to plead and you're released.

Have had that happen more than once. The disrespect shown by the court at times to citizens is appalling. Being called to testify and subpoened is bad enough. It does not matter if you are compensated for the time or not. I have had friends that were practicing attorneys and they became Judges. They turned into insufferable narcissistic human beings overnight.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Have had that happen more than once. The disrespect shown by the court at times to citizens is appalling. Being called to testify and subpoened is bad enough. It does not matter if you are compensated for the time or not. I have had friends that were practicing attorneys and they became Judges. They turned into insufferable narcissistic human beings overnight.

May I suggest you look at it in a different way? Many times defendants are unwilling to face reality until the day of trial when the jury shows up. Suddenly they have a “Come to Jesus” moment and plead out. Your service that morning resulted in the defendant finally facing reality and taking the plea deal offered by the prosecution. Moreover, if a defendant waits to accept a plea deal until the day of trial, it’s not the judge’s fault. A judge cannot force a defendant to take a plea deal - a funny thing called the Constitution prevents that. Sure, the judge could have said its not timely and made you stay for whatever length of time the trial was scheduled. On the other hand, the judge could allow the late plea deal and let everyone go home early. Me? I’d rather go home early.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12427 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Point accepted in regard to Jury trials of criminal matters. I have had more experience with civil matters and my point should have indicated that as well.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Point accepted in regard to Jury trials of criminal matters. I have had more experience with civil matters and my point should have indicated that as well.

I appreciate that concession. But, civil trials are very similar to criminal trials when it comes to sudden resolutions. We call it settlement on the courthouse steps on the day of trial. In short, one or both of the parties finally realize that they have to justify their actions or lack thereof and a jury is waiting in the wings. And suddenly, miraculously, settlement happens. Once again, a judge can’t force litigants to settle (even if he/she thinks they should). That being said, I think a judge should explain what happened and thank the jury for their indirect service.

posted Hide Post
quote:
That being said, I think a judge should explain what happened and thank the jury for their indirect service.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have not yet had the experience of being thanked for my time and service.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That being said, I think a judge should explain what happened and thank the jury for their indirect service.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have not yet had the experience of being thanked for my time and service.

^^^^^^^^^
I agree that showing up for service and then going home, with little or no explanation as to why you were not needed, would be very frustrating. Communication is key and it sounds like your courts could be more proactive.