SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Have to report for Jury duty today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have to report for Jury duty today Login/Join 
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Wear your MAGA or your NRA hat. You'll be the first one excused. *s*

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Down in Florida, at least a month in advance, they mail you a card that tells you what week you start checking to see if you need to report for jury duty. On the card, you have the option to postpone the jury duty to a week of your choosing up to six months out I believe.

It appears Arizona has something similar:
Maricopa Judicial Branch

"Postpone
The Court realizes prospective jurors may have been summoned at an inconvenient time and is willing to defer service to a more convenient time in most instances. Jurors may request a first-time postponement no less than 10 days prior to the summonsed date. When responding to your summons you will see an option to postpone your service. You may also call and speak to a jury clerk or fax your request. These methods will allow jurors to select a new date of their choice, with some limitations, as long as the new date is within 90 days of the date on which they were initially scheduled to appear."

Posts: 10784 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I imagine that it's much easier to arrive at a plea bargain on a holiday eve with a jury pool standing by.

I went in last week, just for one day. Survived not one, but two jury calls. There was only a couple dozen of us left, when the final call came down- dismiss the remaining jurors. None of us had to be told twice.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

I prefer my "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" T-shirt.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16248 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

If you were on trial for a crime or tort you didn't commit, would you want people like yourself on the jury?
Good grief, no. That's the last thing I would want.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:

I prefer my "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" T-shirt.
I wore my "We Don't Dial 911, It's a Texas Thing" t-shirt which has a picture of a big Colt single action on it. I didn't get selected even though the case had nothing to do with calling 911 (person suing their insurance company).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23047 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Strangely, I have never been called for jury duty in my 10 years here. Neither has my brother, who has been here (actually about 50 miles southwest) over 30 years.

Posts: 27777 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Watch the movie, 12 Angry Men. The original black and white. Excellent film.

Last year a local high school performed the play, now called "12 Angry Jurors."

Posts: 15887 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Down in Florida, at least a month in advance, they mail you a card that tells you what week you start checking to see if you need to report for jury duty.
Depends highly on the county. Escambia you really can't choose anything, but just ask to defer it.
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I imagine that it's much easier to arrive at a plea bargain on a holiday eve with a jury pool standing by.
I don't even think it has to be a holiday weekend, but I see your point. I was on Jury Duty and had to go up to up court room; we were waiting outside to start the process but it wasn't long after that the guy pled out and we were released.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Down in Florida, at least a month in advance, they mail you a card that tells you what week you start checking to see if you need to report for jury duty. On the card, you have the option to postpone the jury duty to a week of your choosing up to six months out I believe.

It appears Arizona has something similar:
Maricopa Judicial Branch

"Postpone
The Court realizes prospective jurors may have been summoned at an inconvenient time and is willing to defer service to a more convenient time in most instances. Jurors may request a first-time postponement no less than 10 days prior to the summonsed date. When responding to your summons you will see an option to postpone your service. You may also call and speak to a jury clerk or fax your request. These methods will allow jurors to select a new date of their choice, with some limitations, as long as the new date is within 90 days of the date on which they were initially scheduled to appear."

I was gone out of state for a full month, just got back in town last Friday. Went through my mail and lo and behold there was the Grand Jury summons sticking out at me! Was planning on going out of town again today and be gone through the weekend. I'm retired and can do that shit on the spur of the moment now! Nothing concrete, just on a whim. Just got back from Grand Jury selection and was selected as a backup Jurer. The regular Jurers duty is 2 days a week for the next 4 months. Me, I don't have to appear unless one of the regular Jurers get sick or have other problems that keeps them from appearing. Still that's 4 months of not being able to take off and get out of town when I want to.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strangely, I have never been called for jury duty in my 10 years here. Neither has my brother, who has been here (actually about 50 miles southwest) over 30 years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I can fix that for you. In some states they use the voter rolls. That is how it is done in Mississippi. In Tennessee I believe they use drivers license records. At least that is what I was told.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Our County Attorney said “We don’t arrest ‘em if they’re not guilty.”

Makes sense to me. I’ve been on 3 juries. All were guilty.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4207 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Calmly state "I've already decided the defendant is guilty/not guilty. Do I have to stay?"

If one side or the other doesn't release you, the judge will.

Or hold you in contempt....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BB61,

Posts: 12427 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I can fix that for you. In some states they use the voter rolls. That is how it is done in Mississippi. In Tennessee I believe they use drivers license records. At least that is what I was told.

TN doesn't use DL.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the things that makes our Country unique (and Great) is a defendant's right to a jury trial. I could not see a more fitting day to be in that court room.

So many people get caught up with the outcome of a jury trial. Its not about winning or losing, it is about that person that is on trial having his/her Constitutional Rights protected.

Want to keep America Great, support your local Public Defender's Office.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
Only been called once.

During “voir dire”, was asked what I did for living; active duty military. Kept getting bounced by both prosecution and defense. Neither side wants anyone who can think for themselves—they want to spoon fed the pablum to someone who just fell off the turnip truck.

Ask the judge about “jury nullification” if you want some fun. Roll Eyes

Being a Navy veteran who served six years, I have never considered the phrases "active duty military " and "think for themselves " to be in the same paragraph. Heck, son, if they wanted you to have an opinion, they would have issued you one.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19555 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Calmly state "I've already decided the defendant is guilty/not guilty. Do I have to stay?"

If one side or the other doesn't release you, the judge will.

Or hold you in contempt....

I agree. Judges ain't stupid and chances are it's not their first rodeo.

One guy tried the no hablas englis. Judge determined he's been here for 28 years. She could speak Spanish. Made everyone leave the court but the lawyers and the guy. She apparently reamed him out. When we returned, he wasn't there.

I was the lone dissenting juror on a case where a father was charged for deliberately shooting at a guy as he drove off. The driver was waiting outside the father's home at 3 am waiting for the daughter he met online on Plenty O' Fish.com

The father woke up, heard a noise, got his gun, saw his daughter was not in her room, she was in the backyard slipped out of her window, he walked out, saw the car with the engine running, walked up to it, car took off, and he pulled the trigger. Father said he got startled. Bullet hit the back of the driver's seat. In between the testimony, turns out the guy leveraged the incident to get sexual favors from the daughter.

I voted he wasn't guilty of intentionally shooting the gun. The was the only charge levied.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19555 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
My jury story is relevant here....

A newly hired girl was called to jury duty. So she appeared and just told the clerk she couldn't serve due to her being needed at work. Unlucky for her, almost nobody bothered to show up that day for various reasons. So the judge was pissed to say the least. He questioned her and she even had a letter, written by one of our "bigshots" Saying how indispensible she was to our operations. Cool. So the judge questioned her. Yes, she'd been with us for a couple of weeks. And she was in our "typing pool" (remember those)? She just typed what was handed to her, no knowledge required. The judge blew a fuse. Smile And he got the guys name who signed the letter and dispatched a deputy sheriff to bring him to the court room. All done to inconvenience the VP. Gave him a good yelling at, too.

Move to the following week... I got mine in the mail. Kind of confused as to what to do, and I really had things I needed to be doing. So I traveled down to the other office (where little gets done). Went straight to the company President's office. He had an "open door" policy, because he had nothing to do. I politely knocked and asked to see him. He said sure. I've never seen a bigger smile on a persons face. He didn't like the VP, my boss. So said "follow me" and to the VPs office we went. He handed the letter to the VP and said "you want to handle this?". On the appointed day I was in court, with a smile. Different county, different state. But I didn't use a fake excuse, either.

My opinion is that everyone should serve if called. I have twice and enjoyed it both times. And one was a murder case.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18381 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're not going to wear a Trump hat or an offensive T-shirt . Hell , you're not going to wear ANY kind of T-shirt . And making stupid statements about your opinion of the defendant will just get you in a whole lot of trouble with the Judge . Save your childish humor for another forum and just go do your civic duty .

Posts: 3957 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

You're not going to wear a Trump hat or an offensive T-shirt . Hell , you're not going to wear ANY kind of T-shirt . And making stupid statements about your opinion of the defendant will just get you in a whole lot of trouble with the Judge . Save your childish humor for another forum and just go do your civic duty .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30498 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post