SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Have to report for Jury duty today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have to report for Jury duty today Login/Join 
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted
Have to report for Jury duty today. What idiot at the county court house scheduled this crap a day before a national holiday? Would have liked to head out of town today for the holiday!

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine you'd like the jury to show up today if you were on trial, I'd expect them to have court on Friday as well.

Posts: 8140 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I suspect as much! No concern for the common law abiding people that had plans, Dadgummit. Razz

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
I suspect as much! No concern for the common law abiding people that had plans, Dadgummit. Razz

even as a stanch individualist and constitutionalist, jury duty is one of those things we've just got to do.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
There's never a convenient time to serve on a jury.

OTOH, there is at least one documented case in Oregon (the last state where you can be convicted by an non-unanimous jury) where 10 people on a 12 person felony-trial jury voted guilty on the evidence. One person voted not guilty. One person voted guilty because that person could not find childcare for the next day and didn't want to come back to court for further deliberations. Defendant was thusly found guilty.

Being on a jury is like voting, except you're voting in a smaller pool, to decide a smaller-scaled issue. But it is a civic duty just the same. You have a right to jury of your peers--if good people don't show up for jury duty, who will sit on the jury when good people are on trial? If you were on trial for a crime or tort you didn't commit, would you want people like yourself on the jury?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
If you were on trial for a crime or tort you didn't commit, would you want people like yourself on the jury?

I would want that, but I likely wouldn't get that.

Personally, if I was ever wrongly accused, I'd most likely want a bench trial. An experienced judge would be more likely to rule according to reason, logic, and evidence, as opposed to juries that are more likely to rule based on stuff like personal biases, fantastic ideas of the criminal justice system based on what they saw on Law and Order/NCIS/CSI/etc., or simply whatever's easiest or most convenient.

(Your "He's guilty because I don't have a babysitter" anecdote is a prime example of the latter.)

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Oh I agree whole heartedly agree with both of you. But couldn't the powers to be at county have scheduled this last Monday or next Monday. NOOOO!!!! They got to schedule it on a holiday eve!!! What's so special about this Wenesday!

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Oh I agree whole heartedly agree with both of you. But couldn't the powers to be at county have scheduled this last Monday or next Monday. NOOOO!!!! They got to schedule it on a holiday eve!!! What's so special about this Wenesday!

That damned 6th Amendment Wink

posted Hide Post
Watch the movie, 12 Angry Men. The original black and white. Excellent film.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I'm all for a speedy trial. This last Monday would have been quicker that today though. Well, out the door I go. Got to report at 1230hrs.

posted Hide Post
quote:

OTOH, there is at least one documented case in Oregon (the last state where you can be convicted by an non-unanimous jury) where 10 people on a 12 person felony-trial jury voted guilty on the evidence. One person voted not guilty. One person voted guilty because that person could not find childcare for the next day and didn't want to come back to court for further deliberations. Defendant was thusly found guilty.

Being on a jury is like voting, except you're voting in a smaller pool, to decide a smaller-scaled issue. But it is a civic duty just the same. You have a right to jury of your peers--if good people don't show up for jury duty, who will sit on the jury when good people are on trial? If you were on trial for a crime or tort you didn't commit, would you want people like yourself on the jury?

I had never heard that story. Messed up someones life because they couldn't find a babysitter. That's some cold hearted selfish shit. Wouldn't want to be near that person when karma comes around to deliver.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I was called for Jury Duty the week of Christmas last year. I called the County and first asked if I could be rescheduled. The woman on the phone said that she guarantees no trials would be heard that week and keep the date so I wouldn't be called in for another trial in the next few months. She was right.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4009 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
quote:

I had never heard that story. Messed up someones life because they couldn't find a babysitter. That's some cold hearted selfish shit. Wouldn't want to be near that person when karma comes around to deliver.

I didn't get the breakdown of the jury exactly right, but here is the article:

https://www.theadvocate.com/ba...fd-7b5b18c775c3.html

quote:
Singleton and another juror refusing to change their votes, despite intense pressure from other jurors, including one woman who began standing on a couch in the jury room. Another holdout abruptly switched her vote to guilty after the court clerk came in to ask when the panel would be back the following day. That woman explained that she could not continue deliberating because of her child care arrangement, Singleton said.

"I just put my head down, and that was it," Singleton said in an interview. "Clearly, if two people don't believe a person is guilty, there has to be some level of doubt. Everyone who has a say in that person's fate should agree on the outcome. There shouldn't be a gray area."

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've never had jury duty, but I'd like to go someday, just for the experience. I've been in the courtroom as witness in about 6 or 8 of my cases from work, but never had to actually testify or anything. I was contacted by the courts for one of my cases because the lady said she wanted a jury trial (for a shoplifting case?? really?? yup). the court lady who called me asked me if I was available on three dates, or which was best. I said I'd be there whenever, since it's for work. They scheduled one date, but then called back and said the officer had a conflict. they never rescheduled, as far as I know. :shrug:

But being on a jury would be fun, too, I think.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
quote:

I didn't get the breakdown of the jury exactly right, but here is the article:

https://www.theadvocate.com/ba...fd-7b5b18c775c3.html

quote:
Singleton and another juror refusing to change their votes, despite intense pressure from other jurors, including one woman who began standing on a couch in the jury room. Another holdout abruptly switched her vote to guilty after the court clerk came in to ask when the panel would be back the following day. That woman explained that she could not continue deliberating because of her child care arrangement, Singleton said.

"I just put my head down, and that was it," Singleton said in an interview. "Clearly, if two people don't believe a person is guilty, there has to be some level of doubt. Everyone who has a say in that person's fate should agree on the outcome. There shouldn't be a gray area."

Yes. That's messed up Frown

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
"Fry 'em"

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Only been called once.

During “voir dire”, was asked what I did for living; active duty military. Kept getting bounced by both prosecution and defense. Neither side wants anyone who can think for themselves—they want to spoon fed the pablum to someone who just fell off the turnip truck.

Ask the judge about “jury nullification” if you want some fun. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But being on a jury would be fun, too, I think.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
How about months long jury with accounting evidence presented without end. Think of having to be alert for that process. Then lots of testimony from accounting and banking types. What a snoozer!

In contrast, being on a jury where the attorneys are part entertainers is a joy. Sadly that is a rarity.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Calmly state "I've already decided the defendant is guilty/not guilty. Do I have to stay?"

If one side or the other doesn't release you, the judge will.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And dont forget to see the Clerk to collect your juror fee. Last time I was called it was seven bucks.
Which was just shy of the cost of a decent cheeseburger.
Did cover my parking, though.
Who says crime doesn't pay?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15974 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post