SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Got carded to buy a knife.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got carded to buy a knife. Login/Join 
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted
I went to Charleston last week for a couple days and managed to forget my tackle box. No biggie, I didn’t need much but I did need a knife to cut bait. I went to Walmart and picked up a cheap 6 inch knife and when I checked out I was asked for ID by the self checkout. I asked the clerk that came over what caused me to be carded and it was the knife. You’ve apparently got to be over 16 to buy a knife there.
Thank Goodness Walmart is keeping us safe from those 15 year old fishermen wielding a filet knife.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was at a counter with a clerk. Not self checkout, an actual clerk. I got carded to buy a box of ammunition. I'm 81. A youthful 81, I guess.

A few years ago, I was well into my seventies, I stopped at Target to pick up a few things on the way home. Had not planned to buy any wine, but there was an end cap with some stuff on clearance so I grabbed a bottle. They would not sell it to me because I did not have any ID with me to prove that I was over 21.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Happens a lot here too. Last was for a bottle of booze. And yeah I'm a septuagenarian. LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16181 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It may be ridiculous from our standpoint, but not from the businesses’. Having a “card everyone” rule ensures that no one can complain, “You didn’t ask for his ID,” but more important, no one has to make any subjective judgments, and even more important than that, they don’t end up with fines, etc.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I bought my sons a few airplane models back when they were 12 and 14. The kits needed testor's glue so I dropped by walmart to pick up a tube. I used to build models weekly from 10 years up to when I started dating...

I looked everywhere around the models- no glue to be found. Finally I hunted someone down and asked. They told me I had to get the glue at the front register.
When I asked for it the clerk asked me for an ID... Mind you, I'm a geezer.
I asked them if they were serious and they said "we have to ask everyone"...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I get carded to buy ammunition at Wal-Mart. Between that and the wait to get somebody to even man the counter, let alone open the cabinet, I wouldn't put up with it if Winchester 9mm NATO were not 18 cents a round. I also get it for all alcohol purchases. I realize there is a grey area where a purchaser might look but still be under 21, but those days are long behind me. Part or all of this stems from the register system not allowing a transaction to proceed until a date of birth is entered.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It may be ridiculous from our standpoint, but not from the businesses’. Having a “card everyone” rule ensures that no one can complain, “You didn’t ask for his ID,” but more important, no one has to make any subjective judgments, and even more important than that, they don’t end up with fines, etc.

Exactly.

Although of course someone will always find a reason to complain. Personally I find pulling my ID out to be a pretty easy task and not one worth my rage.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Ask me for identification and I will tell them that I have a mole in my left arm pit.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
the register system not allowing a transaction to proceed until a date of birth is entered.
Walmart, Aldi, Winn-Dixie, ABC Liquors, and Publix, to name a few in my area, have an override for this. The cashiers, who are empowered to use common sense, do something magic and the register software is happy.

The incident I had at Target, nobody on duty in the store at the time had been trained on the new register software, so they did not know how to do the override.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:... You’ve apparently got to be over 16 to buy a knife there. ...

It's yer baby face! Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43863 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Exactly.

Although of course someone will always find a reason to complain. Personally I find pulling my ID out to be a pretty easy task and not one worth my rage.
Agreed. If I ran a business requiring ID checks for age limits, everyone would get carded.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You should have explained it was okay, you were just getting the knife for some kid outside who gave you an extra 5 bucks to buy it for him.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
the register system not allowing a transaction to proceed until a date of birth is entered.
Walmart, Aldi, Winn-Dixie, ABC Liquors, and Publix, to name a few in my area, have an override for this. The cashiers, who are empowered to use common sense, do something magic and the register software is happy.

The incident I had at Target, nobody on duty in the store at the time had been trained on the new register software, so they did not know how to do the override.

I am pretty sure that the "override" you are talking about is simply typing in any birthday over the proper age. At least for the low-level cashier. You just had a cashier at Target who wasn't willing to risk their job over it.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I got carded at a rated R movie. I’m only 30, but still... who gets carded at the movies? Obviously me

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:... You’ve apparently got to be over 16 to buy a knife there. ...

It's yer baby face! Big Grin
or he was 4 when he signed up for Sigforum Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23209 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see a knife, but I got carded at Target buying a Bic lighter. No joke, go see for yourself.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Like a lot of rules, it does nothing other than just add one more step in the process. The folks in charge of these stores think it protects them, but in reality it doesn't.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

the override is keying in a random date, or 00/00/0000, depending on the system

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Like a lot of rules, it does nothing other than just add one more step in the process. The folks in charge of these stores think it protects them, but in reality it doesn't.

keep in mind, the folks in charge are in a corporate office somewhere usually, and usually don't set foot in a retail location but maybe 1x a month , if that, on an announced and preplaned visit,

I used to be a Store Manager for 2 different retail chains,

now all a Store Manager, and the Co's and assistants are are paper pushers,

given a checklist to do daily, and make sure each associate is doing what they are assigned to do,

random and independent thought is frowned upon

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My wife didn't get proofed the other day, she said something and the clerk said "I figured you're OK, you're with the old guy." She's 67, I'm 74!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post