SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Idiots who get in danger, then put others at risk!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idiots who get in danger, then put others at risk! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/boy...-dies-arizona-desert

Unsure if there were other physical issues, with the victim. But still. Why even start such a hike without either ENOUGH water, or a plan for resupply at some point?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Members of groups led by professionals or other “experts” frequently suffer from the failings of those whom they’re depending upon. In my small county I am aware of at least one lethal avalanche triggered by a pro guide. Often people having trouble keeping up on hikes or Nordic skiing treks have been left behind by the rest of the group, or permitted to turn around and try to find their way back on their own. In one memorable incident in the dead of winter a large church group of mostly eighth-graders was allowed to fragment and were scattered over miles of mountainside terrain before they all were found long after dark. That was one incident in which I was convinced there would be fatalities and it was only by pure chance that there weren’t.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT: I'm sure I'm becoming less tolerant, but I think the general populace is becoming even stupider and more clueless.

I think it's domestication. People don't realize how dangerous things can be, even with safety measures and practical experience under their belts.

I know of a local tech company that thought it would be "fun" to climb a local mountain with no training. They did have a qualified guide, which probably saved a number of lives.

Three people in their party fell into an ice crevice. EMS managed to get them out but they came close to checking out for good.

Stranger still, a friend of mine goes out hiking and decides to take a sabbatical from life (as he called it) by falling asleep under a tree. He had a horde of volunteers out looking for him when he was three days overdue.

Yeah, I call it domestication.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
People really just don't pay attention, take risks without thinking. With almost 40 years boating on the Atlantic in the NJ area, I saw some pretty stupid stuff. We helped folks that made poor decisions out more than once.

Then I moved to SW Utah and am pretty active, belong to several outdoor groups. The things you hear about astound me. Last week a fellow went for a 2 hour hike, got lost, had one bottle of water, no food, wearing shorts and a shirt! Temps got close to freezing, he was found alive 4 days later!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I fully admit:
I was in Florida doing some flats fishing when the guide called our attention to twin waterspouts moving in our direction.
It went from really fun to really scary really quick! So things can sneak up on you.
Prior to this I wondered why flats boats had such huge outboards. Now I know.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in CA they liked to climb out on the cliffs near the ocean , and of course they go around two barriers to get out as far as they can go ,

three hours later you see the rescue people out there with 4 tons of climbing gear and then the Helo shows up to provide a spotlight , because its dark now.

In Phoenix it was spring and fall visitors who want to hike in the mountains , w/o water, no sun screen , and wearing flip flops Roll Eyes
and they call fire rescue to carry them down

In Denver they got stuck every where because they have never seen snow and never watch the weather on the news

In iowa there are those who forget about Ice on the road from one winter to the next

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
HEY, go easy on these folks! As the Search and Rescue Coordinator for our county I can say these folks have given me literally thousands of hours of overtime. OK, and several injuries, missed holidays and birthdays and bizzillian weird stories. But who's to say it's a bad idea to drive your 82 Honda Civic with bald tires deep into the Sierra Nevada to cut a Christmas Tree in a storm. Hell, you even wore your best flip-flops.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post